EHD

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My question is, can you eat the midges? And if so we’re you allowed to do so during the famous extended season of ‘96?

No

But there were a few midgets eaten....just a snack.

I may actually turn my tag in this year. I have an any tag in 2H and it's looking like I'm only going to get about 4 1/2 days to hunt. So I have selfish reasons for doing it. We'll see I guess.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
2004 .... not gonna argue . Fact . It was a December season for doe only . 1996 there was no extra doe tags for any eastern units ...

- - - Updated - - -

Call the gf and ask ... 2004

Odd, I had 3 deer tags that year. A buck tag in 2C, and 2 doe tags in 2E. I suppose we could sit and argue about if 2E is an "eastern" unit, but like I said earlier. I didn't live out east in 2004, so I am pretty darn sure I wasn't hunting in those areas then, so I have no basis to know if the season was extended that year.

Guy, I don't remember how far west that storm was, but it really socked things in for the northern part of the valley. I distinctly remember the drive back to GF from Fordville in my buddy's mid 80s GM diesel. He had spilled some 22 LR bullets down his dash heater vent and a couple of them went off. One shot, and killed the radio. Which kind of scared me. So we pretty much drove home worried about getting knee-capped with little to no heat to clear the windshield. Miserable trip home.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.yahoo.com/news/deer-hunters-finding-ehd-northern-143200218.html
I know someone mentioned Drayton area here is the right up on that.
Also it's strange it talks about river system being areas of infection occurring but I worked in the mouse river area in Mchenry County ( was extremely dry area all summer)and didn't see any dead deer along the river banks or grass fields.
Hopefully ndgf will do more research on how to combat the spread midges,EHD

I do know them little buggers were terrible this year especially during days that had little wind

Last edited:

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Friend found 4 more this am in a 2 hour walk. Haven't seen a live whitetail in 3 weeks.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talked to a buddy of mine that ranches around Mandan. He hasn't seen a deer in 6 weeks and he's out at the crack of dawn checking cows and then again at dusk. His neighbors are finding dozens of dead deer in their dismal corn fields. He's already tossed his tags and is heading to MT for big game. NO BUENO!!!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy stopped out today and told me his neighbor did some test swaths in his corn and found 27 dead WT. This is east of Bismarck.

I have seen exactly one live deer over the past few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

The Red River Valley got eight blizzards in 1997. Seemed like every weekend.

Hah hah, yep. There would have even been more if it wasn't for that gal from Bismarck who was leading the charge to change ND's image with the world. So they simply stopped naming them sometime in Feb. That gal picked a bad time to try and rename the state just Dakota in order to avoid giving people the impression it was cold up here. I don't know if that was an overt act to get them to stop naming the storms, or if it was just getting tiresome seeing both in the news all the time. If I remember correctly there were two weather related deaths on campus at UND. At least one, and maybe both were just drunk people trying to make it home from a party.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talked to a buddy of mine that ranches around Mandan. He hasn't seen a deer in 6 weeks and he's out at the crack of dawn checking cows and then again at dusk. His neighbors are finding dozens of dead deer in their dismal corn fields. He's already tossed his tags and is heading to MT for big game. NO BUENO!!!!!
Good luck to your friend in MT . I’m headed there with a big game combo myself. Leave next Thursday for elk trip , deer third week of November . EHD is terribly bad in eastern Montana too ..., kinda worried that mulies will get the shit shot out of them even more so than normal since there’s no whitetail to hunt

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
7BE40272-6993-4495-BE11-FA6475C976BA.jpg
McLain bottoms last week.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw one fresh victim in the wilton mine wma... 1st year spike appeared to have died in the last couple days

Happycamper

Honored Member
frost on the ground in south Bismarck this morning hopefully bringing an end to this crippling disease.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
People stating they’ll just go to MT to hunt, probably don’t realize Eastern Montana is having the exact same problem right now. Lots of reports of dead deer being found

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live south of Bismarck and no frost this morning. There was some in northern Bismarck. With a little luck a hard frost this week.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
People stating they’ll just go to MT to hunt, probably don’t realize Eastern Montana is having the exact same problem right now. Lots of reports of dead deer being found
It’s not affecting mule deer . Atleast not much . Most (I’d say 90% or more) out of staters that go to Montana for deer are after mule deer

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
What part of 2I? Western side? I am in 2I as well and have not seen any, but I am in Central 2I (Gackle).

The West side of 2I, south of Sterling.

With this shit going around, we were talking yesterday. Has anyone heard about Johnny the doe? If she has survived this?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rancher I know found 2 dead around his farm SW of Streeter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74