EHD

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mid 20s coming this week, which will end this but man oh man, it will have come too late for many areas. Some places were WIPED out from what I’ve heard, and the farmers combining row crops tell stories of mass die offs.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a sandy trail in my backyard that is always full of fresh deer tracks (my piss-poor version of a trailcam). I have been traversing that trail every day for the past several weeks.

There has not been a track on that trail for the past 3 weeks.

I assume there's no longer a deer left alive in my neighborhood. And as of today I am still seeing a lot of no-see'ums.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine being a meat shop operator that does a lot of deer processing and counts on that big $$$ each season to float their operation. What a sad deal. :(

I find it more than just a bit creepy that we suffered a pandemic (sort of IMO) and along comes the deer version. WTF.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meat processor or do it yourself there is one thing obvious. The animal may not have shown any clinical signs yet but when you pull the hide off you will notice the blood under the second layer of skin is beet red. It doesn't go down into the muscle like an injury.

An animals internal body temperature goes up maybe causing that. The meat is safe to consume.

An animal can survive it. However, there can be some long lasting consequences. High internal body temps can lead to infertility.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meat processor or do it yourself there is one thing obvious. The animal may not have shown any clinical signs yet but when you pull the hide off you will notice the blood under the second layer of skin is beet red. It doesn't go down into the muscle like an injury.

An animals internal body temperature goes up maybe causing that. The meat is safe to consume.

An animal can survive it. However, there can be some long lasting consequences. High internal body temps can lead to infertility.

Yuck. I'm a squeamish dilettante.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boss talked to game and fish yesterday. Didn’t sound like many were turning licenses back in. They should just shut down the season in the affected zones and then don’t do a lottery for those zones next year and just give those with tags this year tags for next year

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard from a guy’s cousins uncle they are talking about canceling the deer season the next few years some where up there. Even archery.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boss talked to game and fish yesterday. Didn’t sound like many were turning licenses back in. They should just shut down the season in the affected zones and then don’t do a lottery for those zones next year and just give those with tags this year tags for next year

I talked to game and fish, governor already signed the season into officially on. So they can not do that. I live in 2J1 and have found 13 thus far without even trying to look. also all the deer on camera are gone gone. Will not be good for years to come up here. I will be turning my tag in as I have zero interest in even deer hunting this year. Sad deal.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked to game and fish, governor already signed the season into officially on. So they can not do that. I live in 2J1 and have found 13 thus far without even trying to look. also all the deer on camera are gone gone. Will not be good for years to come up here. I will be turning my tag in as I have zero interest in even deer hunting this year. Sad deal.
It would simply take an executive order from Burgum. But yea it’s going to be bad for a long time. How many deer people shoot this year will determine how long it stays bad.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Might be one of those years to get back into water fowl hunting and shoot the hell out of the overpopulated snow geese. Just gotta make a change to enjoying the great outdoors of North Dakota. Maybe even some of these year round honkers. My former boss gave me a piece of his goose Slim Jim. It was damn good. Recipe is for 25# of ground breast meat. Out golfing this year, the geese are making one hell of a mess. Sure would be fun to say "I went golfing today and got 18 birdies". ;:;rofl

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Might be one of those years to get back into water fowl hunting and shoot the hell out of the overpopulated snow geese. Just gotta make a change to enjoying the great outdoors of North Dakota. Maybe even some of these year round honkers. My former boss gave me a piece of his goose Slim Jim. It was damn good. Recipe is for 25# of ground breast meat. Out golfing this year, the geese are making one hell of a mess. Sure would be fun to say "I went golfing today and got 18 birdies". ;:;rofl

I have substituted goose meat for deer many year that I never got a deer tag. Tastes the same or even better actually. I make sausage and sticks with the same seasonings and it turns out great!

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine being a meat shop operator that does a lot of deer processing and counts on that big $$$ each season to float their operation. What a sad deal. :(

I find it more than just a bit creepy that we suffered a pandemic (sort of IMO) and along comes the deer version. WTF.

We need to support these local butchers and ranchers and buy local to process local. Way better meat than from the commercial operations. Many people will need to buy meat if they can’t get a deer.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

We need to support these local butchers and ranchers and buy local to process local. Way better meat than from the commercial operations. Many people will need to buy meat if they can’t get a deer.[/QUOTE]
Most have to buy meat anyway as an average deer is maybe 45lbs of meat:;:exactly

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Attachments

image.png
Last edited:

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need to support these local butchers and ranchers and buy local to process local. Way better meat than from the commercial operations. Many people will need to buy meat if they can’t get a deer.

I agree. We buy 1/2 a beef every year from a guy in Napoleon and have Schmitt Locker in Napoleon butcher it. We are extremely happy with both and them. Its nice to support local and its WAYYYY better quality and is cheaper than buying it from the store.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
that sign kills me. i get the property rights part. just not sure how the first part of that quote is logically connected to the second part. and who are they "quoting"? anyone want to venture a guess on who might have coined such nonsense?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
We all know there are people out there who don't care about a No Hunting sign, so what makes people think they will care about that sign? You want to prevent people from hunting posted land?, then make the fine a hell of a lot more expensive. Not that that will stop those people either, but what can a person really do to stop the people that have no respect for others property and ruin it for the respectful people?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75