Inline Muzzleloader?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at getting an inline muzzleloader as I'm just not into the long range rifle thing too much anymore. Nothing fancy, CVA Wolf, Traditions Buckstalker, or T/C Impact. This will be an open sight gun FYI. Any recommendations here in terms of the three listed above?Any other recommendations for bullets or accessories? It seems most are using the belted style bullets over sabots these days. Any better than any other? Anything you wouldn't go without for accessories? Looking forward to close range and that big poof of black powder! Thanks!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a ton of decisions when it comes to buying a ML, inline is a newer style and I have no idea why you would actually be shooting black powder out of it. Inlines are also much more accurate than a traditional blackpowder setup using a patched round ball.

I'd say figure out how/why you want to hunt with a ML, then start looking at MLs that fit that hunting style. FWIW, I went quite traditional and shoot a Lyman Great Plains rifle using patched round ball and true black powder. That setup is accurate to about 100 yds, but if you go with an inline, you should be able to find setups that will shoot sabots, etc out to at least 200 yds with decent accuracy.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In addition to what Allen stated, one needs to think about how you will go about cleaning a ML. They are different than other firearms and have some unique requirements both in equipment and supplies. Not to be a wet blanket here, but I would also consider how much you will ACTUALLY be shooting this thing. Will you use it instead of a traditional deer rifle or just once in a blue moon. I know LOTS of guys that have MLs that are essentially "Safe Queens" that rarely get used. Consider if the expense of getting the gun and all the stuff that goes with using a ML will provide you with the enjoyment you are anticipating or will it just take up space and collect dust. Good Luck!!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an inline TC encore, i lend it out almost every year to those that finally draw.
Like i did this year after 14 years, only to have our deer herd wiped out by two terrible ehd years back to back...real nice.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be a safe queen much of the time. It will be taken out when I want to do something different than my bow. Frankly, I find shooting a deer at 250 yards with a rifle really not that challenging or fun. This I can pick up a antlerless tag and sit in the tree for 3 months if I want. Drawing the ML buck tag is not really even a thought. Just something different to enjoy.

I want to stick with inline, will be shooting pellets & belted bullets. Not looking for a 200 yard gun....probably 75 or less with open sights. As far as cleaning, fully understand what I'm getting into here.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you are going to hunt deer do not buy a nitro tradition as i did and now have two wall hangers. db

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently immersed myself in all things ML and I decided on:

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/muzzleloaders/pro-hunter-fx

I might regret TC purchase cuz idiots who bought TC want to sell it (Smith and Wesson)
that said I love shooting the gun - didn't think I'd like the goofy stock but I do very much

https://www.blackhorn209.com/
(so I can use regular gun cleaning solvents, don't have to clean ASAP, no "crud ring", yadda
but BH209 is hard to get sometimes so I bought couple jugs

any sabot'd bullet - I chose T/C®’ Mag Express®™ Sabots because cheap and available

1x scopes are scarce as hen's teeth so I bought this - glad I did - no fogging, etc.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/articles/williams-western-precision-muzzleloading-sight

have fun finding "magnum" shotgun primers (209) that you should be using if you use BH209 powder - I have some old ones and SDMF gave me some a little newer and they work fine - would like to find some spanky new ones though

from what I read most people dislike the belted bullets

Last edited:

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some guns shoot bh209 and some wont,due to breech plug design,length of flash channel,etc.If your gun will shoot it relialby,that is what I would definitely shoot,for the rest 777.You will know in the first shooting session if your gun will shoot it.Of the guns mentioned the TC should shoot it,the other two are slightly older designs,and might not.
I know you said you want to shoot pellets and belted bullets,which shoot well in alot of guns.I have always achieved greater accuarcy with loose powder and varied results with powerbelts.Let the gun decide what it likes just like you would expirement handloading,you might be suprised.
My guns are of older design and dont shoot bh209 reliably,and prefer sabots over belted.If sabots work,dont get caught up buying pre packed combos.I buy bags of 50 harvester crush rib sabots and bullet of choice,way cheaper.I am using a green 430 crush rib with a Hornady 44 cal 265 grn flextip,deadly combo and not expensive.
Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a Traditions Vortex StrikerFire two years ago and really like it, I bought it mainly for the safety of de-cocking it and has been a very accurate rifle.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
redesigned breech plugs (or easy mods) are available for proper performance w BH209

- - - Updated - - -

(it does require 209 primer ignition - not “muzzleloader” primers)

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be a safe queen much of the time. It will be taken out when I want to do something different than my bow. Frankly, I find shooting a deer at 250 yards with a rifle really not that challenging or fun. This I can pick up a antlerless tag and sit in the tree for 3 months if I want. Drawing the ML buck tag is not really even a thought. Just something different to enjoy.

I want to stick with inline, will be shooting pellets & belted bullets. Not looking for a 200 yard gun....probably 75 or less with open sights. As far as cleaning, fully understand what I'm getting into here.

Your 3 month comment confuses me. You can't use a muzzy out of rifle or muzzy season and you can't use a muzzy to fill a bow tag

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Badger Ridge Industries in Michiagan will mod breech plugs.They reamed the flash channel to 1/8" and installed a .031 removable ventliner(flash hole),they did an excellent job on it,but still wasnt reliable ignition.In talking with them figured flash channel just too long on this plug.I think cost 75$,this gun is no longer made so not having to worry about replacing worn out breech plug was worth it to me.
This could be a good option for alot of other guns having difficulty shooting BH209.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your 3 month comment confuses me. You can't use a muzzy out of rifle or muzzy season and you can't use a muzzy to fill a bow tag

SD you can hunt antlerless for 3 months. I hunt with a bow tag but will get an antlerless muzzy tag too.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
CVA Optima Pro break action. Easy to load primers with arthritic fingers.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought 200 in Wisconsin and thought that was a life time supply.
I will bet it is unless i find a friend in my life db

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A handful of years ago I went with the TC Impact and switched the sights to a peep in the back and a globe in the front with a cross-hair. Very accurate, like 1.5" at 100 yards accurate, and that's all I needed. Super easy to clean, but did learn about ever 3-5 shots I had to give it a fairly good cleaning to retain accuracy. But way easier to clean/manage than my two hammer/lock muzzy's.

Everything was good with it until last year when my eyes just can't handle open or peep sights anymore. I put a scope on it this fall and am in process of dialing that in.

But to the original posters question, I'd greatly recommend the TC Impact, I've been more than pleased with it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74