Good Looking Backstrap

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For as nice of a char as the outside has, i don't know that I've ever been close to that kind of rare on the inside. BTW, I do not know what the hell he was saying when he claimed onions and shrooms weren't needed. Fucking Heathen...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks about perfect anything more would be over cooked. While I do like some onions and shrooms if they are needed the it’s not done right. It’s like steak sauce you need that filth on a steak or any meat there is a problem

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For as nice of a char as the outside has, i don't know that I've ever been close to that kind of rare on the inside.

Counter-intuitive, but, get your sear pan hotter. You'll get the char more quickly without migrating the "doneness" towards the middle.

On a gas or charcoal grill, I want a 600 degree MINIMUM grill temp before I attempt to sear/char. 1.5-2min/ side and then move to indirect heat with a probe to finish.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to bacon wrap after I butterfly and add butter and some seasoning to the middle. Cook on grill letting some grease flame roar up. A meat thermometer is a necessity to avoid over-cooking.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moose back strap is on the menu this evening, a friend harvested one on Saturday.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not going to lie I only clicked on this because svnmag started it

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks about perfect anything more would be over cooked. While I do like some onions and shrooms if they are needed the it’s not done right. It’s like steak sauce you need that filth on a steak or any meat there is a problem

I like my veggies and fungi.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not going to lie I only clicked on this because svnmag started it

And aren’t you glad you did?

I’m torn. I have tags to fill but EHD has wiped out a lot of deer. I was hoping for at least 4 backstraps to make jerky but perhaps I’ll just settle for 2? And before you cuss and spit, the sausage is awesome and so is the jerky, I reserve beef for steaks.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my edification what would be the equivalent cut for beef - I do not have access to venison.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my edification what would be the equivalent cut for beef - I do not have access to venison.

Venison Backstrap along the spine on the outside of the ribs would most approximate NY Strip beef steak. "Backstrap" is what was used to make the video.

Tenderloin/Filet comes from inside the ribcage and will be one of the most tender cuts from any animal.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I too have made jerky out of backstrap and it is head and shoulders better than any other venison jerky I've ever had/made.

Good stuff!!

I like my backstrap fresh, never frozen. So I'm not against "other" uses for it.

Will I eat backstrap that's been frozen? Absolutely! It's just not the same IMO.

https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

I may have even gotten this from somebody on here....I can't remember.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76