Ground blind...

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone have much success deer hunting from a typical pop up ground blind? Thinking about getting one since we end up hunting primarily PLOTS. Seems like it might be useful, but it wouldn't be in place for long enough for deer to "get used to it." Part of me thinks a 5x5 block would be more off-putting than just standing/sitting in one spot, but it would camouflage your inadvertent movements.
Probably been addressed before, but didn't want to revive a thread from 3 years back.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes to ground blinds, as far as I am concerned...Double Bull is still the best.

That being said, I almost never hunt out of the ground blinds. I just hate the visibility from them. I much rather hunt in my Ghillie suits using a twig for cover. Then again, if you're on a trail...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. FWIW. if you are hunting PLOTS that was hayed, a round bale blind rocks.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've seen some pretty decent hay bail blinds, but wasn't sure about the weight..
Typically can't drive onto PLOTS, so thought that would probably rule them out.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is similar to something that I started using this year. Quick and easy to set up. The one I bought you can attach two side-by-side so you can sit more than one person. You can set up to shoot over the top, or through the windows. It just depends on how tall your seat is.

We shot two deer this year behind these things. A very mobile setup. Find a bit of background cover and set up.

Link

Capture.jpg

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rifle hunting. Thanks for the input on the last couple posts. I wasn't really looking until I saw one in the Fleet Farm ad, then my interest was peaked a bit. See Sam's has one that comes with 2 stools for $100, so may look into that one also. 66" center height, so a little short, but still might be ok. I'll have to look at the one BP sent.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last couple years we have used them on public land. Works good for my dad and wife. Bring a buddy heater along and they can sit in there all day comfortably. Each of them have shot a couple deer that way. For me, I can't sit still long enough for them to work.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that the more you bring out there, the more scent you create. Both on the way out there and while you're sitting. Part of the appeal of a blind is that it provides a measure of scent control as well as camo. You won't get the scent control if you don't leave it out there. If I were to be hunting public land, especially with a rifle, I would just bring a comfortable chair and find some cover to sit in. Cattails or other tall brush moves all the time if there is a wind and would cover any inadvertent movements as you call them. Maybe a set of shooting sticks wouldn't be a bad idea either if you just head out there and sit. Just some random thoughts.....Good Luck!!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
For rifle hunting I would just put a bipod on and sit where you can see good, blinds work great for bow hunting to hide your movements when trying to take a shot at close range

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with KDM, hunting buddy was all fired up last fall,bought a cheap close out pop-up ground blind from FM two days before muzzy season,setup on a well used trail,plenty of pics of daily deer movement,then nothing once he was setup,walking up on my buddy/blind I could smell the "new car" smell 50' from him,ground scent is huge,late season deer that survive gun season get educated quick,think lack of scent to connect.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77