New waterfowl ammo~

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow I don’t disagree with any of that. My comment was more based on a temporary reprieve due to ammo shortages, etc.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And how would they ID bismuth, matrix etc from lead?...Ink wears off hulls.

few years back I pheasant hunted with a usfw agent,mutual friend through contacts in nebraska,asked this very question,he said most often they use a chemical liquid on the shot penetration holes of dead critter,that turns a certain color from lead residue....I shoot copper plated lead,he didn't have an answer for this load.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't find the motivation to hunt waterfowl anymore. Big late season northern mallards are about the only thing that would get my attention these days.

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damnnnn, that's a good steak per box of shells!
The patternmaster eats ol cheapo xperts and fiocci for breakfast while the drakekiller prefers fed blue boxes and is in backup duty.

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
snow...try this. I buy a case or two each year. I use 3in BB, 1 1/4 oz 1550 ft per for everything. Even pheasants. Is fast and hits hard. Usually kill 100+honkers, snows and tons of ducks with this. Pounds pheasants as well. Got tired of the different loads for different birds. Found one that isn't cheap but isn't spendy and have had a lot of success with this. Think the wad system is a little more advanced. Had smoked a lot of birds deep. Not crazy deep but 50's easy.
HEVI-Steel_Product.jpg
Product_cross_HeviSteel.jpg
Our premium HEVI-Steel® shells in standard 25-round boxes. Available in a range of shot sizes in 10, 12, 20 and 28 gauge.

[h=5]SHOT DENSITY: 7.8 g/cc[/h][h=5]BOX PACK: 25[/h][h=5]CASE PACK: 10[/h]

FIND A STORE [FONT=&quot]>>[/FONT] SHOP ONLINE PARTNERS [FONT=&quot]>>[/FONT]

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't find the motivation to hunt waterfowl anymore. Big late season norther mallards are about the only thing that would get my attention these days.

Six green heads, no Suzys - good enough for you. Out in front of our cabin today.

IMG_2892.jpg

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On the market and available,not for the fugal hunter shoppers for price out there but for the guyz looking for peak longer range performance....

At $37/box of 20 this copper plated bismuth does the job,copper plating gives these bismuth pellets more weight for better down range kintec energy,less money than the proven Hevi shot and patterns just as well.

Only available online so far.... check out Boss shotgun ammuntion.

FYI.
Been waiting for the 3” 1 1/2 oz loads to get back in stock. They had some this week but missed the email notification and was too late. $37 a box is pretty decent when you compare it to cheap steel going for $17-28 right now. Less cripples is what does it for me. But then again we lost 4 ducks last week while absolutely hammering geese stone dead with Xpert 4’s. Never lost birds like that shooting tss. Bought some hevi bismuth to give it a try

- - - Updated - - -

if only i could find some of this new ammo to buy?

Bossshotshells.com
They have 20 gauge in stock

- - - Updated - - -

Damnnnn, that's a good steak per box of shells!
The patternmastern eats ol cheapo xperts and fiocci for breakfast while the drake killer prefers fed blue boxes and is in backup duty.
Good luck finding cheap steel for cheap prices anymore these days…… you are lucky to find it less than $17 a box for xpert or blue box fed

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roger's seems to have good deals in the offseason on cases but yea times have changed for sure!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Roger's seems to have good deals in the offseason on cases but yea times have changed for sure!
Not anymore! They are about the worst now selling blue box for $180 a case in they even have it in stock. Who knew a guy needed to have a big stock of steel loads.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not anymore! They are about the worst now selling blue box for $180 a case in they even have it in stock. Who knew a guy needed to have a big stock of steel loads.

I was listening to the guys from boss last spring and they were saying it was going to be bad this year. Since i am buying for me and my kid i got a couple cases when scheels had them glad i did

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed them this week about individual boxes. Said they should be available by the end of the year. I wanted some 12 and 20 and 16 to shoot through some of my older guns. Cant afford a case of each. Im done with cheap steal, for the precise reason that right now IT IS NOT CHEAP anymore. If im paying 22-25 for cheap steel, im buying bismuth and shooting my old guns. I miss lead.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BV today hevi steel is just that "steel shot" years ago hevi steel was infused with tungsen totally different performance,hevi shot uses the same shell hulls/primers from cheddit,fiocci uses the same,hevi uses a fast burn quality powder,packs the pellets with flax seed like all they're shotshells nice and tight hevi steel doesn't use a full shot cup like other hevi loads which hevi claims are bio degradeable,hevi steel uses a plastic wrap housing around the pellets they call a wad,I'm guessing you found a good choke to shot shell performance,I/C choke maybe a modified for longer shots shooting BBloads would be ideal

But thanx for the note.

- - - Updated - - -

I emailed them this week about individual boxes. Said they should be available by the end of the year. I wanted some 12 and 20 and 16 to shoot through some of my older guns. Cant afford a case of each. Im done with cheap steal, for the precise reason that right now IT IS NOT CHEAP anymore. If im paying 22-25 for cheap steel, im buying bismuth and shooting my old guns. I miss lead.

Agreed,us old timer's miss lead,however,iffin you want lead performance,100'% hevi shot is your huckleberry.(tungsen/nickle and tin pellets)

example:

lead pellets; 11g/cc

hevi shot (100%) 12g/cc

so you see more weight and density = greater down range performance/knock down energy.

steel is 7.9 g/cc

then the big dog on the block is TSS shot if ya got deep pockets

18.0 g/cc

This chart will show you a few examples of down range shotgun pellets kinentic energy few shotgunners think about...they think price most often.

ammo loads.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like lead shot gives a guy the best bang for his buck for ducks and geese!!!

- - - Updated - - -

In all honesty, and I truly am not trying to call anyone out for their hunting practices or their equipment choices, but this is a very similar debate that I see among bow hunters when choosing bows, arrows, and even more so broad heads. (I don’t handle rifles much but I’m sure it holds true there also). Often the debate between fixed blades or mechanical heads centers around the damage done when making a poor shot, because when a perfect shot is made it’s usually a moot point. Often the debate with bows and bow/arrow combo centers on energy and penetration downfield on longer shots or bigger game. Both are definitely things about which one needs to consider and obtain knowledge.

Without taking a side on either issue, I just wish folks chose their equipment and actions based MOSTLY on maximizing their efficiency without marginalizing the making of responsible decisions, rather than just trying to stretch the ability to kill as far as they possibly can. In other words, so they can make a good shot rather than just convince themselves to take shots. I hope I worded that in a decent way because the physical and mental ability of each person is as different as each unique person even before you start picking equipment. It’s not a one size fits all, but you’ve all seen hunters out there who are taking actions that far exceed their abilities.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well said dirty....however lead comes in second down range....I whole heartly agree to maximize killing efficiency,I've hunted birds around the country including canada and Alaska,using the right tool (ammo) for the job at hand.not all hunting situation's are the same as you know,whether late season roosters jumping up 50+ yards out or pass shooting ducks/geese beyond 60yds one needs the right tool/ammo.

Iffin I lived/hunted in the dakota's I most likely would be a blue box fan or even expert,shots inside 35 yds they both work,sadly thats not the case for me these days,so lead ain't an option but we do have option's today,well iffin we can find them on the shelves.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't find the motivation to hunt waterfowl anymore. Big late season northern mallards are about the only thing that would get my attention these days.
That and pintails fully feathered green wing and cinnamon teal,

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That and pintails fully feathered green wing and cinnamon teal,

Late season hunts with fully colored out birds is my crack! Early season is fun but brown ducks get boring. I’m still kicking myself for not mounting one of the fully colored out green wings I have ever shot a while back in late November. The weird migration has messed that up recently

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed MM, shot a couple "old squaw" ducks guyz I should mounted at least one now kickin myself,also a harlequin....another dandy

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
17ECDE1C-6559-4FA6-93D8-698D116A0065.jpg

These are both non-mallard late October ND birds. Don’t shoot a lot of them like this but most years there are a few hanging around late enough to be fully plumed.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We shot a 90 percent spoonie this weekend first one I have seen with that much color around here. I almost mounted it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74