New waterfowl ammo~

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On the market and available,not for the fugal hunter shoppers for price out there but for the guyz looking for peak longer range performance....

At $37/box of 20 this copper plated bismuth does the job,copper plating gives these bismuth pellets more weight for better down range kintec energy,less money than the proven Hevi shot and patterns just as well.

Only available online so far.... check out Boss shotgun ammuntion.

FYI.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the market and available,not for the fugal hunter shoppers for price out there but for the guyz looking for peak longer range performance....

At $37/box of 20 this copper plated bismuth does the job,copper plating gives these bismuth pellets more weight for better down range kintec energy,less money than the proven Hevi shot and patterns just as well.

Only available online so far.... check out Boss shotgun ammuntion.

FYI.

Boss had been around for the last few years and right now they are struggling to get components owner was on the big honker podcast. I have shot a little of the the 3/5 blend in 2 3/4 and it hits like a ton of bricks. Will order for next year i am thinking. Side note if you like funny non politically correct pod cast about waterfowl hunting and lots of stuff listen to the big honker podcast they crack me up

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dang Kurt,here I thought I found something new and exciting for water fowl loads,I've got two cases of this new hevi shot "X2" been backed ordered since august,hevi shot tells me they ship they're ammo from sweet home oregon (plant) to the federal ammunition plant in Anoka minn to be distrubuted not sure why,seems odd other than this new company "outdoor specialty" owns federal and hevi shot amongst many other ammo companies,

3/5 blend sounds like hevi shot "hevi metal" plat form only no steel pellets in the boss ammo,just down sized bismuth

Big honker podcast eh,I'll check it out,

thanx

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thirty.Seven.Damn.Dollars????

Nope.

I must be one of those frugal hunters of which you speak.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thirty.Seven.Damn.Dollars????

Nope.

I must be one of those frugal hunters of which you speak.

32 dollars is what you can get them for. If you think about it black cloud is 28 a box so about 1.20 a round then the boss is 1.60 a round. i used to be all about the cheap blue box federal but after buying the code black pattern master and shooting a bunch of loads that black cloud and boss both shoot so good i make the cost up by shooting less.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When non toxic when ape shit in price I went back to lead

no-you-didnt.jpg

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
32 dollars is what you can get them for. If you think about it black cloud is 28 a box so about 1.20 a round then the boss is 1.60 a round. i used to be all about the cheap blue box federal but after buying the code black pattern master and shooting a bunch of loads that black cloud and boss both shoot so good i make the cost up by shooting less.

I shoot steel #2’s for geese and #4’s for ducks that are $12 to $15 a box and I don’t miss much, which is how I can afford to remain frugal. For me, It has a lot to do with shot selection and decoying them in close. The blue box specials knock em right down when they are within blue box special range.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot steel #2’s for geese and #4’s for ducks that are $12 to $15 a box and I don’t miss much, which is how I can afford to remain frugal. For me, It has a lot to do with shot selection and decoying them in close. The blue box specials knock em right down when they are within blue box special range.

I shoot #2 at everything just because it patterns best. the amount of cripples and birds needing necks wrung has went down alot since using the black cloud vs the blue box. Most first shots were 10-15 yards feet down. our whole group has noticed that this year especially since we hit early geese hard. I have spent a couple hundred bucks on alot dumber shit i know that.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, I can’t argue with your last sentence, but if I spent $32 or $37 a box on waterfowl shells I’d have to limit too much of the dumb shit I do. I’m not willing to do that!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fine for lead is less than non toxic shot. Especially over the long haul. I seriously haven’t seen a warden in probably eight years

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
And how would they ID bismuth, matrix etc from lead?...Ink wears off hulls.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
And how would they ID bismuth, matrix etc from lead?...Ink wears off hulls.

https://streamsystems.com/

it seems there are a few ways this being on.

- - - Updated - - -

Fine for lead is less than non toxic shot. Especially over the long haul. I seriously haven’t seen a warden in probably eight years

that’s just not true as steel was the same if not cheaper the last 8 years. Early on when it first came out it was more expensive but by 1996 the price was about the same when shooting comparable loads. If you want to compare apples to oranges then ya bismuth and hevi shot are way more expensive.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well for some of us that hunt heavly pressured area's,birds get educated fast...we even pass on shots when a large group commit's and focus on the singles and doubles that lock up.

$32/$37/box is money well spent for decoy shy birds skirting the spread at 70yards,price could be much worse,take a looksey at federal TSS ammo,$75/box...

Shooting this hi end ammo we use it for the second and or 3rd shot,over dekes,first shot is steel or bismuth in my blind.

But as Kurt stated,shoot less with hi end ammo,kill more birds and less cripples.plus hunter doesn't need to shoot 3.5" shells in BB,BBB or t shot...less pellets results in more cripples unless a head or broken wing.

I'll order some of this Boss iffin they get they're shit together producing product.

Just not a fan of steel shot for our type of hunts,rarely get shots with feet down,lot's of pass shooting when the opprotunity pop up,steel no matter the make just doesn't have the kinetic energy for consistent kill shots beyond 45 yards unless one uses BB's or larger,pellets,then it's 50/50 with multipal cripples or sailor's dropping dead some couple hundred yards out.MPO only.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m gonna throw this out for debate. Due to the extreme shortage of ammo what would stop us North Dakotans from putting an initiative on the ballot to allow lead shot anywhere except federal refuges/WMA’s for waterfowl. The feds don’t go after states for legalizing MJ why the hell would they do it over lead shot lol. They’ll make a stink and threaten but that’s about it.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m gonna throw this out for debate. Due to the extreme shortage of ammo what would stop us North Dakotans from putting an initiative on the ballot to allow lead shot anywhere except federal refuges/WMA’s for waterfowl. The feds don’t go after states for legalizing MJ why the hell would they do it over lead shot lol. They’ll make a stink and threaten but that’s about it.

We had this regulation eye in the begining of non toxic ammo (steel shot) back in the mid 80's,feds argued waterfowl were still picking up lead pellets in ag fields once crops were down,like chickens waterfowl were picking up shinny lead pellets,dying of lead posining.

We battled this call from day one,infact I had a friend back then that was a veterinarian in a small western minnesota town,he also owned a sport shop,this town was near one of our best/largest waterfowl refuges in the midwest for the central flyway,my friend was a goose killing machine,pissed about force feeding us steel shot,my friend had a big goose contest at his sport shop so he could collect the gizzards to check for injested lead shot,he found 5 lead pellerts outof 500 gizzards,according to the feds that was 5 to many as birds of prey,mostly eagles were dying by the dozens feeding on these infected birds,divers were still picking up lead pellets on slogh/river bottoms from years past.

But gotta agree today our steel shot ammo is much better than the beginng years,other than lacking lethal range these shotshells pattern alot better,and more affordable these days,good on you guyz that get the quality shots with feet down,guessing 2.75 steel ammo does the job just fine.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76