Mice…

ELLS

Founding Member
Founding Member
‘Tis the time of year’. How are you guys handling mice? I’ve got traps out by the dozens but cannot figure out where they are getting in. Hopefully going to just hammer away at them until they desist. Anyone else having this issue at this time of year and how you are addressing it?

23036D96-559A-4358-A705-07C377943640.jpg68225AB4-57A4-4705-B765-777CA4FE7190.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve heard of using a powder all along the perimeter of your house to find the path. The thing about mice is they are always weeping urine so once a trail is made the rest follow in droves.

Happycamper

Honored Member
I've already gone through a bucket of Tom Cat green blocks and it appears I haven't made a dent.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had slept on the couch for a few nights due to being sick and could hear them crawling in my walls so am in the same boat as you

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF
This is in your house?

I have never had much more than one or two in the storage shed, or under the deck.

I put those baits out and never see the little bastards, last year not even a nibble out of one of the bait blocks. But I do live in town and daughter has a cat, so maybe that helps.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got back form montana sharptail hunting and the little bastards were in my pickup, got home and took everything out and caught 4 of them in 2 days. they ate through my cab filter.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
‘Tis the time of year’. How are you guys handling mice? I’ve got traps out by the dozens but cannot figure out where they are getting in. Hopefully going to just hammer away at them until they desist. Anyone else having this issue at this time of year and how you are addressing it?

PXL_20230917_011639315.MP.jpgPXL_20230917_011639315.MP.jpg

Your doing the right thing and using traps. Do not poison them as you will have a stinky house from dead mice and the smell is hard to track down sometimes.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Once one gets in they leave a trail and more will follow. I trap trap trap starting in garage and that usually works. I also have a few traps on the basement stairs just in case some sneak by. With the wet weather we are getting there is going to be more looking for a dry place to live. Keep food away from them is a must. i even keep our dry dog food in a large plastic storage ben or they will haul it off and store it somewhere for later and then you got trouble. If a even get one in my garage I can smell him. I guess my nose will be the last to go, just my luck. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one time I found mouse leavings in my garage I bought one of the traps they can get in but not out. Dropped in a couple tomcat blocks and the situation resolved itself in 2-3 days. I use them in the camper over the winter as well.

Get rid of clutter and leaf-litter near your house as well, don't give them a "home" close to your house.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Man, first you gotta figure out how they're getting in the house and put an end to that. After that, I use the little green chunks of poison in tight spots where mice like to travel and only mice can get to. I'll lay 3 at each location and check them daily. Always knowing how many you've laid down helps you track how you're doing and its pretty rewarding when they stop disappearing. I also like them big sticky pads along walls and runs in the garage. I also keep seeing an advertisement for repellent scent packs (Grandpa Gus) with great reviews. I ordered a pack to check em out. Throw behind work bench and in the pickup which only moves a few time each winter. We have a couple stray cats in the neighborhood I feed just enough to keep around also.

Moved into our house exactly two years ago. Previous owner had an old boat and car next to the house and I'm guessing when he moved them, mice came flocking out and it lined up with freezing temperatures. First night in our new and very nice house and a mouse stuck his head out of our fireplace. I declared war. Killed 6 in the house that night until I figured out where they were coming in. Haven't had one in the house since. Killed 35 in the next month outside the house and in garage. Maybe had two total in the garage last year after doing what I outlined above.

Funny story, I decided to go with my heated floorless shelter moose hunting last month. I had a shrew in there each evening with me as I sat and ate (he was probably in my sleeping bag too). The first night I freaked out and probably looked like a looney tune trying to chase him down with my boot. But after a bit we became buds. I was solo so it was kinda nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of each night. On day 9 I had packed everything up and was sitting in the empty tent reading and waiting for an airplane when the little guy popped his head in and looked around like "what the hell happened to our set up man?"

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make a rolling mouse trap. Just a wire hanger through a pop can and on an open bucket. Then the trap can catch multiple mice.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make a rolling mouse trap. Just a wire hanger through a pop can and on an open bucket. Then the trap can catch multiple mice.

This! There are some great tutorials online. I've set one up at my folks' place, and you can literally catch dozens in a night.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

This.. i set this up in our screened in porch semi attached to our camper at our lake prop in Norther Mn.. Put p butter on can. I add RV anti freeze in bottom of bucket so as to cut down on smell if we dont make it back for a cpl weekend. Usually have been 5-6 in bucket each time we head there. Will see how many buggers got fooled when we go this weekend. Ironically, even tho we put stickies inside camper we have rarely caught one inside.. perhaps the peanut butter attractant is getting them all...doubt it. lol.. plus, i think it really helps to bring the slide-outs in when we are gone as it seals up camper entry points better.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My little home on some acerage with a ceek and slough grass always has me hopping around as the temps drop,little some beeches slip through the smallest openings,when they come they even sneak in through my barn's tiny coragaded ripples in my steel roof to create havoc in my storage area,little bastard shinny up the 4x4 over hang posts then sneak in through the steel roof,caught em doing it.

last few years outside large comerical bait station's with tom cat blocks inside these on every corner of the barn and the house all outside,then a few sticky traps under the sink,in the mud room off the porch for a second line of defense,it works.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much I hate cats I wouldn't hesitate if I had a rodent problem, always people looking to get rid of them. Just want the ones that can fend for themselves/farm cats. Start out feeding them until they learn their territory and let them spread their wings of territory protection. Eff all the mice & mosquitos..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76