Top Five Worst Deer Bullets?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When that many projectiles aren't working, it's no longer the projectiles. You can't shoot critters in non-vital areas and expect the bullet to make up for your lack of execution. "The Breadbasket" isn't behind the ribs. "Chipped-spine" with a fragile projectile doesn't equal a critter that walks away, it equals a critter that drops @ the shot. Might need a finisher, but, you can't have major trauma to the spine and have said critter walk away.

I looked through a few of the other videos. I noticed no postmortem pics, just water jugs and conjecture. Show me projectile paths through a rib-cage w/pics of entrance, exits, and a dowel-rod showing the path.

I did see where he achieved a bit over 2700fps w/140's from a 22" 270Win, he's only leaving 250-300fps on the table............

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When that many projectiles aren't working, it's no longer the projectiles. You can't shoot critters in non-vital areas and expect the bullet to make up for your lack of execution. "The Breadbasket" isn't behind the ribs. "Chipped-spine" with a fragile projectile doesn't equal a critter that walks away, it equals a critter that drops @ the shot. Might need a finisher, but, you can't have major trauma to the spine and have said critter walk away.

I looked through a few of the other videos. I noticed no postmortem pics, just water jugs and conjecture. Show me projectile paths through a rib-cage w/pics of entrance, exits, and a dowel-rod showing the path.

I did see where he achieved a bit over 2700fps w/140's from a 22" 270Win, he's only leaving 250-300fps on the table............

that’s how you debate!
0D0E11CC-30B3-479B-A843-8BB33773EC25.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
"At what point in the animal's death did the bullet fail
Im afraid I sucker as much as anyone, but I sometimes think the premium bullets arn't that premium. Premium price, but not so much performance. I'm guilty of chasing ballistic coefficient. Talk bigger game than deer and I start thinking bonded, but like Hornady I have seen deer drop in their tracks with bullets that "failed" if you believe the magazines.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

D1284C4E-2185-4C05-8B41-15BBF060437E.jpg
Exhibit A

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I’ve shot my last 5 deer with open tip match bullets. Hit them in the neck/spine/lungs and they die right quick.

- - - Updated - - -

Longest shot on a deer was 190 yds. 155 Lapua scenar high behind the shoulder and he dropped right there.

Tikka T3 is $600-750 and 1/2 MOA out of the box. Hornady “American Gunner” 140gr HPBT was $15/box before ammo went sideways. It’ll make shit dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Longest shot on a deer was 190 yds. 155 Lapua scenar high behind the shoulder and he dropped right there.

Tikka T3 is $600-750 and 1/2 MOA out of the box. Hornady “American Gunner” 140gr HPBT was $15/box before ammo went sideways. It’ll make shit dead.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
People sure have different experiences with the same bullet. This 155 vr Silver Scenar went lengthwise through a large doe at 550 yards. Fired from a 308 Winchester. It acted much like a full metal jacket. When I say all the way through a deer I mean a frontal shot dead center and my son found the bullet o the ground behind her. Even though I woukd consider this the closest thing I have ever seen to bullet failure I hit something that dropped her where she stood.Scenar.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barnes Triple Shocks suck:

D6464865-C4D6-4E44-85DF-97F54A90F749.jpg

Non-repeatable performance on elk, deer, moose, and caribou…..

Last edited:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
People sure have different experiences with the same bullet. This 155 vr Silver Scenar went lengthwise through a large doe at 550 yards. Fired from a 308 Winchester. It acted much like a full metal jacket. When I say all the way through a deer I mean a frontal shot dead center and my son found the bullet o the ground behind her. Even though I woukd consider this the closest thing I have ever seen to bullet failure I hit something that dropped her where she stood.IMG_8760.jpeg

That is incredible!

I had an accubond pinhole right through a WT at 50 Yards. Zero expansion.

Weird things can & will happen.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is incredible!

I had an accubond pinhole right through a WT at 50 Yards. Zero expansion.

Weird things can & will happen.

How'd you evidence that? Entry/exit and wound channel or did you find the unexpanded projectile?

My non-scientific belief, especially with projectiles designed specifically to open rapidly, is that those that don't likely impact the target w/some yaw. Grass, a stick, etc upset the projectile previous to impact.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barnes Triple Shocks suck:

1697047782090.png

Non-repeatable performance on elk, deer, moose, and caribou…..
How did you ever find that many X bullets? Hmmmm elk? Have you found many in Deer? I think they are good for large game like elk, but the only one I have ever recovered from small animals like deer was another lengthwise straight on shot. I never gut those animals, but rather bone them out where they fall.IMG_0014.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did you ever find that many X bullets?

I've hunted with them exclusively from 243Win through 300Win from '04 through '19. Since '19 I've also used ABLR's to fill 4 tags.

I've recovered 1 ABLR, 150gn .277. The recovered portion weighs 55gn. Impact velocity was 2850fps. The bullet entered a bit behind the ear quartered HARD towards, it shattered 3-4 elk neck vertebrae and I found the slug just ahead of the off-side shoulder. I was going to stick the bullet nearly full-frontal just inside the on-side shoulder, but, as I shot my heartbeat lifted my reticle a bit and the elk dipped his head to take a step up/forward and the trigger broke. Instant lights-out. I wasn't disappointed w/33% weight retention @ that close range and very resilient target media. The neck hide on a bull is tough, the muscle is tough, and the vertebrae are large and tough.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75