Top Five Worst Deer Bullets?

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
How'd you evidence that? Entry/exit and wound channel or did you find the unexpanded projectile?

My non-scientific belief, especially with projectiles designed specifically to open rapidly, is that those that don't likely impact the target w/some yaw. Grass, a stick, etc upset the projectile previous to impact.

I wish I was lucky enough to recover a bullet outside of an animal.

Autopsy. Tiny little hole in the lungs. Never connected with a rib.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I was lucky enough to recover a bullet outside of an animal.

Autopsy. Tiny little hole in the lungs. Never connected with a rib.

Good on you for looking @ the lungs. Lotsa folks look @ entrance/exit with little to no thought/examination of what happened in-between.

Any chance you hit grass, cattails, brush/branches etc prior to hitting the deer?

I'm not saying wonky things don't/can't happen, just trying to get a handle on yours.

The AcuBond is basically a ballistic tip with the lead core "glued" to the copper jacket. Nosler Ballistic Tip/AcuBond, Hornady SST/InterBond, Sierra Game-Changer are some of the last one would expect to fail to open, especially close w/relatively high impact velocity.

I'm NOT doubting that it happened, it's just even wonkier than normal that it happened with a reasonably fragile projectile @ close range w/relatively high impact velocity.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Youtube Clickbait.
The only thing I learned is this guy is probably a crappy shot.

I don't think it's clickbait man. This dude is trying to provide a service. I feel somewhat validated by the reactions on this thread. I don't roll my own and still swear by Fusion.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That is incredible!

I had an accubond pinhole right through a WT at 50 Yards. Zero expansion.

Weird things can & will happen.
Brother shot a white tail buck one year from ass to brisket and the bullet looked like yours. It was some sort of PMC brand ammo. It caught one lung and the buck made it almost 400 yards before he tipped over. LB

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seems to me that these days, if you can find it, that's what you're shooting. Doesn't matter if it's good, bad, or ugly. If it fits in your rifle and goes bang, that's your huckleberry.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me that these days, if you can find it, that's what you're shooting. Doesn't matter if it's good, bad, or ugly. If it fits in your rifle and goes bang, that's your huckleberry.
They all kill, and sometimes they all screw up. Distance/velocity I think makes one person love a bullet and another dislike it. Zero to 400 yards on private land where if they run a ways no big deal nothing beats an X bullet. 400 to 600 it gets fuzzy. Some open more than you like and some don't open enough. 600 yards and beyond I suppose many bullets are good. and I like the Burger VLDs. We shoot different animals at different ranges with different cartridges under different conditions, and often make recommendations that are not the best for other people. I currently have three 6.5 Creedmoors. I like the two with removable magazines because when I sit on a hill I have ELD-X in the magazine, another magazine with subsonics for coyotes within 300 yards. and a third magazine with VLDs when I want to shoot at a deer beyond 400 yards. Years ago I had four rifles set up, and so did my son and hunting buddy. I posted a picture on nodskoutdoor and got some real dumb ass comments. Like deer are not terrorists and it must sound like a war when Bambi runs by. One woukd think on a hunting and fishing site that all would understand you can only shoot one gun at a time. The 45/70 was for anything under 200 yards, the 243 was for coyote, the light barrel300WSM was for deer under 500 yards, and the heavy barrel 300 Win mag was for deer beyond 500 yards. The coke and the cookies in the picture were for me.:)

Now if I coukd get that dang smily face off the beginning of this post.

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh. All these years I have been killing deer with plain old lead soft point bullets. From .223 all the way to 300 win mag. If the bulletin hits vitals they are dead. I guess all these bullet manufacturers have to come up with all these different bullet designs cause it’s good for marketing. Some people overthink this stuff. I’m sure I couldn’t punch paper with these bullets and brag about groups but the dead deer don’t care.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You know what's more important than bullet performance or lack there of?

Access.....but I digress, this is for a different thread.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know what's more important than bullet performance or lack there of?

Shot placement.

To Bacon's point, many bullets work to excellent effect if you place them properly to begin with.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74