How many men still know how to butcher???

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to hear it's NOT a lost art. Might be a "cross the river" type of thing. I know I try to pass on as much of that knowledge as I can. To me it's a LIFE SKILL everyone should know how to do. Thanks Fellas!!!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Do I know how? Yep, it's really not a big deal honestly.

I can't make Habanero Sticks like these guys do. I'm hopelessly addicted to them.

https://www.greatfrontiermeats.com/about-us/

They get all of my business.

Drool.....Never had habanero, but I do love me some of the smoked apple or Jalapeno Cheddar style.

And, Gabrielle catered my wedding. Good people and good stuff from Hecla!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am definitely not a good butcher, but can hack up a deer and get the meat. I'm usually grinding and making sausage, so it works. Don't really have a great place to do it, so do take to butcher sometimes. Someday, when I have time, I'm going to "help out" someone who actually knows what they are doing.:D

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drool.....Never had habanero, but I do love me some of the smoked apple or Jalapeno Cheddar style.

And, Gabrielle catered my wedding. Good people and good stuff from Hecla!

Hecla has had some of the best sausage around. Was going there when Jon had it and still go there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We butcher all our own wild game, a Butcher does our half a beef.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull’s ass, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it.

Kidding aside, I used to cut up deer. I’ve paid a guy the last several years to cut up my wife’s deer. I haven’t shot a deer since 2007.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've done our own butchering for deer, chickens, pigs and beef for years, and made our own sausage. It used to be a bigger deal 30 years ago, as we would butcher as many as 15 deer and 15 pigs some years and make a lot of sausage. Now it is just down to the wife our 2 kids, the son in law and I. The other family members do their own at there houses. My in-laws raise beef, so it amounts to going west 3 times a year and butchering 3 or 4 cows at a time. We started off as "BUTCHERS" , but have gotten pretty good after 30 years of practice.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot a moose on October 11th, gutted, skinned, and quartered in the field with the help of the landowner and his loader and two good buddies, cut it up on the 12th with the help of the same two buddies, and wrapped and froze it on the 13th with the help of a different guy. Heck of a team effort and I am so grateful for everyone's help.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Family did a lot of their own butchering back when I was young. One family raised the hogs ,another the chickens turkeys and geese and yet another raised the beef. Switched from year to year. I started helping with the chickens chasing them down when the heads flew off under the hatchet. Then graduated to the plucking part, never did like that. It was always a big family gathering at which ever farm the animals were raised. Even the old laying hens met the canning jar. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the smell of the chickens getting the hot water dunk prior to plucking will always be a scar on my brain

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The neighbor lady that lived on a very small farm raised some chickens with my mom's partnership involved. When they were ready to be butchered, they both worked there asses off for a day. My mom decided that she would never repeat the process.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grew up on a farm were we did all our own. Both wild and tame. My dad used to butcher horses back in his day.

Even had classes on how to butcher.

But after holding, i not sure how many chickens, for ma to chop the heads off and i could not stand the smell of chickens going into that boiling water to take the feathers off. And it seem like every time i ate the meat i thought of the kill and butcher.

I learn:

I have learn to turn all that over to the kid. Hated gutting the deer and son does not even gut (but was shown that way) but takes the quarters off along with the back straps and capes the head off. Works for me in fact it works dam well for me.

Meat, i now get from the grocery store like many do. Electricty, we used to get from the Delco batteries (32 direct current volt) and a generator (Magtag motor) but now we get from the switch on the wall. db

Last edited:

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was taught early that if you want to eat meat you need to know where it comes from. We butchered and processed everything growing up but since my Dad and Grandparents have passed the rest of the family doesn't get together over new years break and butcher like we used to. The kids and I make small batches and support the local butcher with the rest. But my kids learned to gut, skin and clean on the very first of every animal they shot

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
wife and i used to raise 50 broilers every summer it was like the 4th of july for my mom and dad when we butchered, yea scalding birds does stink then i got a sweish chicken plucker so the stink splattered anybody within 20 feet/

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my educational regrets is I passed on taking a meat cutting class offered as an elective in High School. ''

Since then I have done probably 90% of all my own wild game, with an occasional one dropped off at a meat shop.

For the most part, I prefer my own sausage, jerky, and burger recipes. But every now and then I am pleasantly surprised by something from the professionals.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just tell those that ask, once the skin is off, cut off the meat!
It's quite easy to see what meat is.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep grew up on a farm where we butchered chickens, turkeys, and pigs so I can say with certainty that yea i can prepare the meat for hanging but only recently in the last dozen years learned how to disassemble or separate the meat to be prepared for packaging. All red meat cows, deer, or etc have the same common body structure and have found out that meat isolation into different choice cuts instead of only a few like roasts , steaks, or grindings growing up. I guess in the early 90 2000s it was pretty much given that you could get multiple deer tags and being super picky on processing the meat to get absolutely all the meat off the bone wasn't necessary. That hasn't been the case so knowing there is prime meat in the hind quarters which I would take a nice round roast over sausage anyday. I guess one has to be a little more picky on how we prepare our meat. The internet has really helped me in all the areas I didn't know before

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was taught early that if you want to eat meat you need to know where it comes from. We butchered and processed everything growing up but since my Dad and Grandparents have passed the rest of the family doesn't get together over new years break and butcher like we used to. The kids and I make small batches and support the local butcher with the rest. But my kids learned to gut, skin and clean on the very first of every animal they shot

Am I the only one surprised by this information coming from a freedom hating liberal? I thought you ate veggie burgers. Learn something new every day..........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69