How many men still know how to butcher???

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always hunted birds, not big game, so I grew up with that knowledge. After being lucky enough to have my sons tag two deer this year I decided to try my hand at butchering. Took my oldest son's buck to LaMoure Locker due to having another tag to fill and caping for the mount. However I skinned, quartered, and butchered the doe. It was extremely satisfying knowing where and how the meat came from. The next deer will be a team effort with me and my boys. KDM, you're right. It's a life skill I needed and will pass to my boys!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In the last few years dealing with youngsters and hunting in MN

The blue platers can't splash a crestliner in under 5 minutes or drive the correct lane on the interstate so sharp knives are out of the question.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
worked as a meat cutter all thru high school at the local super value. I have always processed my own game and quite a few hogs when I could get a local farmer to sell me one. Still have the hide scrapers and an electric meat saw.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone ever process a bear? Holy cow anyone who has skun one hanging eagle spread would swear they just skun out a person....then the greasy stink,but a great reward when grilled.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'd always butcher our deer in the shop a few days after being shot so I was taught at a young age. When I'm college, I took a few meat science classes. One of those classes we were able to bring our deer in and they taught us how to butcher.

If you're in Fargo and want to learn, I'd look into taking some of these classes from NDSU. There were always a few non-students in those classes.

We have chickens and every now and then cull the flock. I skin and gut them without much issue. The deal with my wife is she has to harvest and I'll butcher. So far I've done both.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Curious you guyz doing the scalding /chicken plucking,I'm told same thing applies to ducks iffin you add liquid soap,anyone try this? late season birds I'm old school,hand pluck,and canning wax still on ducks,geese get the fillet knife.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'd always butcher our deer in the shop a few days after being shot so I was taught at a young age. When I'm college, I took a few meat science classes. One of those classes we were able to bring our deer in and they taught us how to butcher.

If you're in Fargo and want to learn, I'd look into taking some of these classes from NDSU. There were always a few non-students in those classes.

We have chickens and every now and then cull the flock. I skin and gut them without much issue. The deal with my wife is she has to harvest and I'll butcher. So far I've done both.

If those classes exist - they are well cloaked from internet searches.

GSP

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do all of my own, field to freezer. I was approached a few weeks ago to help a young man butcher his first deer. I was happy to help, and impressed with the young man’s willingness to learn. I think some of the new hunters want to learn, but its up to us to teach them. Growing up, my Dad taught me how to do it, and I think we could all help the new generation (and anyone else who wants to learn)

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Ah the lost art of butchering your own kill, should be a 'must' for all wanna be or soon to be hunters. Kids these day all they want to do the 'fun' stuff of hunting but not the dirty work.

Ok Boomer.

I have cut up more deer, fish, and birds for entitled old timers who had no idea of how, or willingness to learn than I ever have for "kids"

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious you guyz doing the scalding /chicken plucking,I'm told same thing applies to ducks iffin you add liquid soap,anyone try this? late season birds I'm old school,hand pluck,and canning wax still on ducks,geese get the fillet knife.
we have scalded geese but just rough pluck duck when they are warm then wax at home

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Well it's been a few years but yeah that's how our family cleaned chickens and turkeys we even had our own electric plucker that helped get most of the feathers off.
My job was to catch, hang them, slit thier throats, scald them, run over the plucker machine, hang them again to finish pulling the feathers, and finish them off by burning off the hair on the body.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My nick-name in our hunting group was "the surgeon" back when I hunted with a group. Some laughed at my knife of choice which was a little 3' fixed blade that was just part of my hand. That and a folding bone saw was the cats ass. LB

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do my\our own deer. Many years ago bought a 3/4hp Cabela's grinder and a 20# stuffer. Bone them out and make sausage on the kitchen counter. Use a Bradley biscuit shooter to smoke the sausage.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can field dress(lowly hip splitter). I can butcher with oversight and instruction. Better at keeping the knives sharp(stone/steel) and running beers. I can't back a trailer and am ashamed. I can make jokes about breakfast cereals and penises while trimming cuts.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can field dress(lowly hip splitter). I can butcher with oversight and instruction. Better at keeping the knives sharp(stone/steel) and running beers. I can't back a trailer and am ashamed. I can make jokes about breakfast cereals and penises while trimming cuts.

Jumpin’ Crickets!!! Can you at least competently run a ratchet strap?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76