bow hunter's beware~

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The bear could have gone trick or treating as a black unicorn if I was in that tree stand. LB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like just a curious bear. Wonder if his clothes had some sort of odor on them and what the wind was doing. Don’t think I would’ve wasted the energy, tag, or time to shoot it either. Also, when people give you weight estimates on bears, divide that number by at about two…….especially since this guy says it’s the first bear he ever encountered. And maybe even subtract a few more lbs for a live bear.

I’ve been bluffed charged by a handful of bears now. They typically have a good reason for it. I was trying to rebait and this black bear’s Cubs wouldn’t come down from the tree. She came at me 3 times before I was able to finish up and leave. One of the creepiest things to happen to me on stand was these couple of brown bears had actually circled to get my wind and then followed it to my stand. That was messed up. I ended up shooting one with a blunt to scare it off. There were a couple magnums I was holding out for.
PXL_20231013_235406765.jpgPXL_20231013_235406765.jpgwalmart holidays.jpg

F that!! I take it you were packing some heat up there with that recurve, just seeing her stare you down gives me the big time chills! Never been around those big things, but I take she could get right up there if she wanted to even at that size?

I was in a bear camp in western Canada a long ways from any mountains about 6 years ago. The outfitter gathers us together the first night and tells us " I have to show you this, but if it gets out of this camp what I am about to show you with my laptop I will be shut down immediately." And he proceeds to show us two big ass silvertips at his baits, I was sure glad I brought my rifle along with my bow that's for sure! Never did see them but it sure gave you an uneasy feeling sitting in those not so high up stands and walking in and out of the blinds.
On another note the kid getting nipped been there before. Had no idea one had came in behind me and the next thing it comes up my tree fast in the rear. We had 2 bears as kids, raised on to adult size so I have a pretty good idea how quick they can get up a tree and a certain age. As I was wondering about how high it exactly was sitting dead still I suddenly feel a cold nostril sniffing up against the back of my neck! Ha ha, ain't gonna lie I wanted to jump as I wasn't strapped into the tree but there wasn't a tree near enough so I just sat still. My knee was bouncing uncontrollably and I wanted to elbow it in the face, but I knew if it was big I was definitely getting bit.
It was only maybe 20 seconds it sniffed around then it shimmied on down and left me alone, definitely got my blood pumping not gonna lie.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problems is we all talk till it real happens. I have hunted out of West Yellowstone, Montana for years. That is where they dump all the good for nothing grizz. We all slept in tents with big pistols killed many a great bulls before they head back to park, had to cover the meat with browtines and piss like hell in circle around it or hang in tree's. Horse knew way before we did and you could smell them stinky bastards. 454 Casull max loads barks like a bitch at 10 yards full house rounds. They scream like hell makes your hair of the neck stand up. Most you could chase off, the worst was main camp, elk quarters hanging inside horse tralier horses tied outside. Was cowboy exciting. They can run like you have never seen busting done 3" to 5" saplings. God those where good days. Kill or be Killed was our moto.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
a used can of bear spray would have been handy at that moment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75