Waterfowl choke tubes

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I never had a problem with the stock chokes. My buddy talked to a a Benelli engineer who designs them and he said the stock chokes are the best. I bought an extended range choke back in the day but I haven’t used it in a decade….

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the pattern master code black and it patterns better with 2 shot than my stock choke in my franchi by about 30% at 40 yards with 2 shot

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago we were in the thick of stuff hunting geese. I borrowed some shells from my partner. After a couple of shots I asked if he reloaded these himself. Yep, and they are hot he proudly says. Well shit...

Bulged my barrel. Put up a two foot target, then backed up 40 yards. Only six steel pellets. Loaded a round of lead, 33 pellets. Purchased a pattern master and it put 36 steel pellets into a two foot target at 40 yards.

It is still in there over twenty years later.

- - - Updated - - -

$85 bucks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of these after market choke tubes are for longer range shooting, but blow the hell out of stuff in close with the tightened pattern. I'm personally more interested being on the X, calling well, putting the deks up right, and getting the birds in close rather than long bombing them. Bertha has stock choke tubes in'er and they work just fine.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven’t noticed any more blown up geese or ducks just less crippling.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the pattern master code black and it patterns better with 2 shot than my stock choke in my franchi by about 30% at 40 yards with 2 shot

You ever shot 2 lead from it? Sound great for turkey.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME it's difficult to get a decent pattern from 2's. Never tried an aftermarket choke all non-screw in bbls.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually lead would be superfluous with those results.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the sales guys Ive talked to over the years say choke tubes aren't needed. Shells are so good now days and stock chokes are fine. If doing pass shooting at higher birds etc then they may be the right ticket. I've never had problems killing geese at 50 yds with improved cylinder in my beretta. Crippling of birds usually comes from shooting shots too far. I watch those duck hunting shows and bird come in and someone yells "take em!" Then you see and hear about 10 shots being fired from several guys and finally the duck gets winged and spirals down. They take stupid long shots. I agree with KDM...bring em in to the decoys.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on your hunting situation/setup,you guyz in the dakota's are lucky enough to get plenty of fresh birds as they migrate thru,factory chokes in I/C for larger diameter pellets like 2's on up work the best out most if not all shotgun's,smaller pellets factory mod,check your pattern at 30yds on the pattern board to get the visual,shotgun manufacturer's build/sell shotguns not chokes,for better performance you have plenty of aftermarket option's to better your kill shots...

miking out the big name in waterfowl chokes "pattern master" we found they're long range choke for BB's on up is just a I/C constriction .015,same as your factory I/C choke.,an extended ported choke fine tunes the pattern and for guyz shooting pump shotguns a extended ported choke (aftermarket) minumizies barrel jump,allows shooter to cycle spent cartridge and get back on target quicker.

You guyz in the dakota's on the X birds in close 35yds,steel shot,1's or 3's mod factory choke will do just fine.

I'll add most if not all gun manufacturer's warn shooters do not use invector chokes greater than modified for pellet sizes greater than #2,which is lead full or 3 notches on most choke tubes,I/C tubes have 4 notches if the stamp on the choke is wore off.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
First 32 years I shot a 28” solid bbl full choke wing master so I got used to the tight pattern . With the factory franchi tubes it was just to spread out and I wasn’t shooting as good with birds right in my face. Put the code black in and it tightened it up and back on kill shooting them right in the face

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You ever shot 2 lead from it? Sound great for turkey.

Hardcore turkey hunter's today are using Tss turkey loads in #7 or #9 shot....me not so hard core as copper plated lead in #6 rolls them some beeches just fine in a super full choke.

- - - Updated - - -

First 32 years I shot a 28” solid bbl full choke wing master so I got used to the tight pattern . With the factory franchi tubes it was just to spread out and I wasn’t shooting as good with birds right in my face. Put the code black in and it tightened it up and back on kill shooting them right in the face

Makes sense on the franchi,entry level shotgun/and chokes.Some of your western states waterfowler swear by "drake killer" chokes,just a matter of whats used the most most often,I would like to compare the factory franchi I/C to benelli m2 or SBE3 I/C as both guns are under benelli's umbrella,beretta A400 as well in factory I/C.curious how they would all compare.

Years back in my benelli days I was connected with briley thru shotgun sports,briley sent me a proto long range extented ported choke tube with straight rifling in the choke tube for my waterfowl shotgun,concept was to take the spin off exiting from muzzel shot cup and to keep the shot charge in the shot cup longer resulting in a tighter long range pattern in shot size less than BB....,patterns look great on paper at 50yds both in #2 and #4 100% hevi shot,no flyers 80% of pellets in a 30" circle.

You gunners on the X feet down birds shoot what ya have,steel shot factory chokes it's all good you'll kill your birds,cripple a bunch but you'll get them to whether a follow-up shot or a good dog.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hardcore turkey hunter's today are using Tss turkey loads in #7 or #9 shot....me not so hard core as copper plated lead in #6 rolls them some beeches just fine in a super full choke.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes sense on the franchi,entry level shotgun/and chokes.Some of your western states waterfowler swear by "drake killer" chokes,just a matter of whats used the most most often,I would like to compare the factory franchi I/C to benelli m2 or SBE3 I/C as both guns are under benelli's umbrella,beretta A400 as well in factory I/C.curious how they would all compare.

Years back in my benelli days I was connected with briley thru shotgun sports,briley sent me a proto long range extented ported choke tube with straight rifling in the choke tube for my waterfowl shotgun,concept was to take the spin off exiting from muzzel shot cup and to keep the shot charge in the shot cup longer resulting in a tighter long range pattern in shot size less than BB....,patterns look great on paper at 50yds both in #2 and #4 100% hevi shot,no flyers 80% of pellets in a 30" circle.

You gunners on the X feet down birds shoot what ya have,steel shot factory chokes it's all good you'll kill your birds,cripple a bunch but you'll get them to whether a follow-up shot or a good dog.

i was told they run the same choke tubes between the two. I know my pattern master works in either gun

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76