Over\Under shotgun

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Richland.I remember Zephyr offered a o/u 10ga ,this was in the 70's ,wish I had that sucker today in my collection,o/u was strange territory back then for us in the field.

Zephyr had a SxS as well. When folks talk about having a 10Ga SxS in the '70's it's a toss-up between Richland and Zephyr unless they had lots of $$ for an LC Smith etc.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Zephyr had a SxS as well. When folks talk about having a 10Ga SxS in the '70's it's a toss-up between Richland and Zephyr unless they had lots of $$ for an LC Smith etc.

Yeah,I remember Zephyr in the gun rack sxs next to the Zephyr o/u my buddy talked me out of as my richland twelve ga chamber blew up in my face whilst hunting,dang lucky I didn't lose an eye but blew up my left ear drum,gunshop warrentied the 12ga with a new 3"12 I traded up for the 10ga.,anything to kill a goose,back in the 70's minn had a 10 day only honker season,shooting one was considered a trophy,my first goose shotgun was a "marlin bolt action" 3" 12ga,pos with a 36" barrel,traded that for the richland 12ga.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gee sv, me thinks iffin I would have the desire to purchase a sxs today,rather than having the shotgun fitted for injector chokes (tubes) which would require a shit load of barrel work from back boring the barrels to lengthing forcing cones to accommodate the chokes,one would be better off having the barrels bored out assuming both barrels are full/full.

my first 10gais a sxs 32" full/full goose killing some beech back in its day,double trigger....way back when this shotgun was new ,never knew the importance of the pattern board,also one doesn't trap shoot with a 10ga,first trip out hunting we were setup on a honker pass shoot coming off a canadian border refuge near roseau minn,all fired up with my brand new sxs 10ga ready for action,crouched behind some tumble weeds on my knees as the first flock came over.....KABOOM! ended up on my back as both barrels doubled.fucked up my hand on the trigger guard,thought WTF? maybe my gloves caused this,loaded two more shells,slammed the chamber shut and "boom" both barrels again went off,triggers were that touchy.

Holy shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah,I remember Zephyr in the gun rack sxs next to the Zephyr o/u my buddy talked me out of as my richland twelve ga chamber blew up in my face whilst hunting,dang lucky I didn't lose an eye but blew up my left ear drum,gunshop warrentied the 12ga with a new 3"12 I traded up for the 10ga.,anything to kill a goose,back in the 70's minn had a 10 day only honker season,shooting one was considered a trophy,my first goose shotgun was a "marlin bolt action" 3" 12ga,pos with a 36" barrel,traded that for the richland 12ga.

Again. I wince a little when I see folks shoot without eye protection.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The BBls on those Zephyrs are impressively thick.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gee sv, me thinks iffin I would have the desire to purchase a sxs today,rather than having the shotgun fitted for injector chokes (tubes) which would require a shit load of barrel work from back boring the barrels to lengthing forcing cones to accommodate the chokes,one would be better off having the barrels bored out assuming both barrels are full/full.

my first 10gais a sxs 32" full/full goose killing some beech back in its day,double trigger....way back when this shotgun was new ,never knew the importance of the pattern board,also one doesn't trap shoot with a 10ga,first trip out hunting we were setup on a honker pass shoot coming off a canadian border refuge near roseau minn,all fired up with my brand new sxs 10ga ready for action,crouched behind some tumble weeds on my knees as the first flock came over.....KABOOM! ended up on my back as both barrels doubled.fucked up my hand on the trigger guard,thought WTF? maybe my gloves caused this,loaded two more shells,slammed the chamber shut and "boom" both barrels again went off,triggers were that touchy.

Interesting story Snow-reminds me back in the day, while living in Lakota, think I was around 12 yr old, dad was getting into goose hunting, comes home with a 10 ga double bbl, long ass barrels, and friggin HEAVY, hands it to me, says,"think you can handle this"...I was a skinny shit back then I couldn't raise the damn thing up past my shoulders, looked at him and said....ah no, I'll stick to my lil ol single shot 410. My brother tries it and says he give it a try.....what happens? Just like you....he pulls both trigger and lands on his back...never shot the sob again...so dad wasn't to prized about double bbl shotgun, so he gave it back to whoever he got it from.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
sv...back in the 70's we never herd of eye protection,hearing protection the same,today gun ranges demand both in order to shoot,I see very few folks with eye protection that would deflect/protect against a major shotgun malfunction like a chamber blowup,most eye protection I see is for incoming debris from shot charge blow back or incoming clay target pieces (think skeet here)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76