Over\Under shotgun

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are they worth it? Lighter than semi auto's? Been thinking of getting one for upland hunting. Was reading that a 12ga over and under is about as light as a 20 ga semi auto. I'd like to try one.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Worth it? That depends I guess on what you want to pay for an O/U. I have 2, a 20ga and a 12ga. Really like them for upland, use the 20 the most and have been using the 12 on waterfowl this fall and like that as well.

Cost is a concern for many but if you look around you can find really nice used O/U for a decent price. This summer I found my 12ga for less than $700. Weatherby that was just like new, shoots 3" as well as 2 3/4". One thing that I would recommend is make sure the gun has ejectors. Much quicker to reload. I find O/U's to be one of the safer guns. When done with a walk or when standing around with others, break the action, tuck it in your elbow, and everyone can clearly see that the action is open and cannot fire.

I also have a Browning Auto-5 and like shooting that gun as well and cannot seriously tell you which I prefer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn’t Imagine being reduced to two shots lol. Would drive me nuts. Might be fine when I hunt all by myself and birds are getting up one at a time. But hunting in a group, no way

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a sweetheart Merkel 200E for $2850.00 from Guns International. Correct amount of triggers.

cache.php

opt_100059834_3038_46139479FAFE34F1.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn’t Imagine being reduced to two shots lol. Would drive me nuts. Might be fine when I hunt all by myself and birds are getting up one at a time. But hunting in a group, no way

Doesn't ND require a plug even for upland? That's only one more shot.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't ND require a plug even for upland? That's only one more shot.

You allowed 3---- one in the chamber and 2 in the magazine tube. I think the gun manufacturers now make so the plug can't be removed on the pumps and autos, I could be wrong, but some of the older guns you can make your plug to whatever, but if you get caught bye bye gun.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot a double, and it's hard to find two pheasants unless they are both dead. I now try to just drop and find one at a time. And SD doesn't require a plug for upland game, so I'm sure you can remove plug on any gun.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer a SXS. I have problems with cross dominance. I think waterfowl tastes like ass. From what I've seen on video; a waterfowl shoot is akin to the LA UFO engagement in the '40's. I prefer credit for my own kill. I don't condemn the blasting/teamwork: Not my deal.

I embrace the purity of a double gun especially if one is not wielding a M12 or A5. Many classic guns can be retro-mod to digest modern shot and not carry like a gd telephone pole. It's not cheap.

https://www.briley.com/

9k=

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer a SXS. I have problems with cross dominance. I think waterfowl tastes like ass. From what I've seen on video; a waterfowl shoot is akin to the LA UFO engagement in the '40's. I prefer credit for my own kill. I don't condemn the blasting/teamwork: Not my deal.

I embrace the purity of a double gun especially if one is not wielding a M12 or A5. Many classic guns can be retro-mod to digest modern shot and not carry like a gd telephone pole. It's not cheap.

https://www.briley.com/

cache.php

I agree, I grew up on a side by side. Real hard to get used to one trigger. I acquired a OU a few years ago for less than half it's new price. My brothers employee inherited a bunch of guns but he can't own them, so he was selling cheap. So I'm testing it out. I wish I knew what chokes were I it. That's the biggest advantage, in my SxS, I have a modified and a full choke barrell. I've made some nice long shots with my full choke, or 2nd trigger.

Shot selection is learned when you only have 2. Always, always, pick out ONE bird, never flock shoot. I can't believe how many people flock shoot, and don't know how to lead a bird.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t shoot them for shit to used to the wingmaster and now the franchi points just like the wm for me. Always hated getting to the end of a field watching pheasants fly over as guys reload

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sportsman’s Warehouse sells a pretty decent CZ over under for $650 and has ejectors. Points nice for me

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. Beautiful Weatherby 12ga SXS on Guns International, screw-in chokes, 3in chambers. Side plates are false. Made in Italy by Fausti: 1800 bucks.

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

7 1/4 lbs

28in bbls

OAL 44.5in

Last edited:

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want light, buy a Benelli Ultra Light. I doubt there is a sxs or over/under that weighs less. If you just want a sxs or over/under then go for it. Plenty of them out there.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I have both, Ruger Red Label 12 o/u- carried that for a long time upland hunting and killed many birds, but now it stays in the safe and is only used for the 1-2 times a year i waterfowl hunt. I have sense switched to a bretta 20 gauge semi-auto and absolutely love the gun. Its light and after a stock trimming it fits me perfect now. Having the third shot is always a benefit but seems I rarely ever have to shoot 3 times. I do miss from time to time having the 2 different barrels with different choke tubes. Having that full choke in for the long shot is kinda nice.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have both, Ruger Red Label 12 o/u- carried that for a long time upland hunting and killed many birds, but now it stays in the safe and is only used for the 1-2 times a year i waterfowl hunt. I have sense switched to a bretta 20 gauge semi-auto and absolutely love the gun. Its light and after a stock trimming it fits me perfect now. Having the third shot is always a benefit but seems I rarely ever have to shoot 3 times. I do miss from time to time having the 2 different barrels with different choke tubes. Having that full choke in for the long shot is kinda nice.

Which Beretta model are you shooting?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which Beretta model are you shooting?

302, 303, 304, 390, 391, and A400 are all superb in 12 or 20. As the numbers get higher, the models get newer. With each new model they figure out a way to dump off more gas and reduce recoil while maintaining and/or improving function.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guyz with sxs best be mindful of the ammo used,most modern sxs donot recommed modern hi velocity ammo as manufacturer's use a soft gauge steel to weld barrels together.

Ageed with eyexer,late season birds bunched up,extra shotshells required here as well,my old browning A-5 auto mag unplugged 5 rds in states where allowed plug-less has been emptied many times when others were reloading.A-5 weight empty 9lbs,my citori o/u 8lbs,benelli ultra 6lbs...nothing gained or reduced in weight owning a o/u,single trigger,barrel select is nice,no felt recoil reduction unless you add one,shooting bottom barrel first helps felt recoil.most if not all o/u barrels shoot 60/40 bottom barrel and 50/50 top barrel ,this browning and beretta that I tested and shoot,agreed about ejectors on the o/u,it's a plus,heavy trigger weight on o/u to minumize doubling when first barrel fires.

my .02.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75