MREs for hunting blind?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried a few of the mountain house and mre types. Some were OK but I'd prefer a thermos of soup and a sandwich. Most of time I just go the sandwich and snack route. November/December days are pretty short anyway, start off with a decent meal before heading out and a snack or 2 during the day is plenty IMO.

that's always been my approach - huge "real" breakfast and then snacks during the day

but my area has seen what appears to be a pretty good EHD die off, especially mature bucks

so part of my rational this year is that I'd like a distraction from the boredom of what I suspect might be day long sits of not seeing anything approaching a shooter - and for something new to do and plan for in general - so that I have knowledge/options in the future

I can't seem to turn off the "researcher/explorer" part of my brain :;:huh

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be sitting in the deer blind dusk to dawn in December. Was thinking maybe MREs would be handy. Never had one, so I don’t know anything about them.

Are they a worthwhile thing to try?

If so - Best place to buy them? Type?

Swing by the house and borrow my jet boil. Get a couple mountain house meals and a spork.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a mess 3b3 is.

that sucks so bad

the older I get the more I enjoy just sitting and watching all day - in my younger days I couldn't stand to sit for an hour before I needed to see what was going on "over there"

if you can keep yourself from getting miserable it's such a pleasure to just sit... and wonder about what a miracle the natural world is, how those plants/animals do it, you see things you don't see very often on the move

even the "tweety birds" are fascinating when you take the time to observe

now I know why tree stand guys get addicted to all day sits - but Nov/Dec tree standing is more than I can muster - even unheated blinds are on the threshold of my endurance anymore

- - - Updated - - -

now I just have to figure out a place to store my bulky new toy ;:;rofl

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You couldn't pay me enough to eat an actual military MRE anymore!!!

NOPE not going to do it!!! ;:;barf

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just take a thermos full of boiling water. Especially if you need to carry water anyways, the extra weight of a thermos compared to a jet boil is negligible. Less to deal with, less metal on metal noise from the jet boil, and eliminates that jet engine noise of the jet boil. We will boil water for ice fishing and by 6pm it's still too hot to drink. Water doesn't need to be boiling for a mtn house.

Buy an extra long spork. Sea to Summit and Toaks both make one. Open the freeze dry bags before you get in the field or it will sound like a 3 year old unwrapping presents Christmas morning.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019652893?pid=276670

I have used OMeals a few different times, once for 5 days and I thought the flavor was really good, only downside is the portions aren't what I would call a full meal. You can use any liquid as the catalyst for heating as the food is in a separate pouch and never touches the liquid. We actually used some last year when hunting geese in December in the layout blind.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't MRE's used to have a "Do not freeze" warning? Toffee Bar: Type II Style VII was heaven in a foxhole worth the dehydrated pork/beef dehydrated patty meal. I lamented the discontinuation of Toffee Bar: Type II Style VII.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did any of you that served in the military have to eat the Veggie Omelette MRE? I hear it was one of the worst and most hated rations made. I've only seen people eat it on Youtube but I'd like to try one bite just to see how crappy it really is.

Also for those that served in Vietnam and the era of C rations, was Ham and Motherfuckers really as bad as everyone says it was? That is another one I wish I could try just for the hell of it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did any of you that served in the military have to eat the Veggie Omelette MRE? I hear it was one of the worst and most hated rations made. I've only seen people eat it on Youtube but I'd like to try one bite just to see how crappy it really is.

Also for those that served in Vietnam and the era of C rations, was Ham and Motherfuckers really as bad as everyone says it was? That is another one I wish I could try just for the hell of it.

It was horrible. There was not enough tabasco to burn the taste out of your mouth. Never thought i would like a breaded piece of veil as much as i did after days of mre and then a hot meal in the field.

- - - Updated - - -

Cant say about the c rations as that was way before my time but i would bet it was horrible

Boomtakem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy - something to consider is that we also take our Mountain House, etc. meals out of the packaging and put them in baggies to keep the noise down while in the mountains hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75