Luggage rack advice needed!

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I admit…have never used luggage rack on my 2020 Chevy Traverse. But I need some help. Vehicle has the side rails only, not cross bars. Are the crossbars only needed if mounting a hard container? What if I just orders a water proof bag, can a guy just strap to side rails? Can a guy rent one some place? Just need to a little extra room for luggage, as 6 adults will traveling. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't know if it is recommended but several years ago I used one of those cloth bags designed to cover luggage/packages/etc on my Traverse with no problems. Didn't have anything really heavy to put much pressure on the roof and didn't have any problems. This comment comes with no warranty.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Paddog,if your traveling every so often and need the carrier,the cheap route is the way to go strap down soft baggage bag inbetween the rails,iffin you want a larger hard case tub,order cross member rails from your car dealer,then look into "thule racks" thule makes all sorts of luggage carriers for roof tops and also rear trailer hitch luggage adapters

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Paddog,if your traveling every so often and need the carrier,the cheap route is the way to go strap down soft baggage bag inbetween the rails,iffin you want a larger hard case tub,order cross member rails from your car dealer,then look into "thule racks" thule makes all sorts of luggage carriers for roof tops and also rear trailer hitch luggage adapters

I am looking more at a soft bag that has a non slip mat you lay on the roof, so nit to scuff the finish. Just need to throw in a bag or two and some coats for trip to Lambeau Field, if the weather looks half a$$ cold. Here's what I have been looking at: https://www.bougerv.com/products/to...MInszRstXl8wIVqXxvBB1SlgeaEAQYASABEgJVp_D_BwE

- - - Updated - - -

buy a pickup. Your welcome.

I HAVE 2.....! This is a 800 mile one way deal with 6 adults..... :;:imwithstupid

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Paddle,you'll get scuffing throwing a bag on the roof top whether you like it not,just a little fine grit will scuff the paint.,further it's nice to have a hard case air co-effient roof top container that is lockable,green bay/lambeau will have local thugs on the loose canvasing the parking area's like usual,mpls is worse if you ever plan to go to mpls,both privat and public parking.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am looking more at a soft bag that has a non slip mat you lay on the roof, so nit to scuff the finish. Just need to throw in a bag or two and some coats for trip to Lambeau Field, if the weather looks half a$$ cold. Here's what I have been looking at: https://www.bougerv.com/products/to...MInszRstXl8wIVqXxvBB1SlgeaEAQYASABEgJVp_D_BwE

- - - Updated - - -

I HAVE 2.....! This is a 800 mile one way deal with 6 adults..... :;:imwithstupid
Ride in the box. It will get you ready for the game.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ride in the box. It will get you ready for the game.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cross-bars can be purchased for most vehicles that already include the rails. The cross-bars are usually very low-profile, and can stay on indefinitely. I bought a pair for my mom's Enclave.

On top of the cross-bars, you can do whatever you like. A wire mesh basket is nice and durable, lightweight, and you can put anything up there, from bags to firewood.

A hard hinged case is the best, if you want to lock stuff up there. I have a big Yakima Rocket box that I use a few times per year. Locks, is waterproof, hides valuables, doesn't really effect gas mileage.

The downfall to those big cases is that they're expensive, and you have to store them somewhere. I think I bought mine used for about $300.

They are a little heavy. It's not a lot of fun to put it on the vehicle by myself, but it can be done. A 4Runner or Pathfinder though, with that box, will not fit into a 7 ft overhead door.

Alternately, if you have a receiver hitch, you can buy a simple luggage rack for BEHIND your vehicle. they're mesh metal, and work good for coolers or big heavy-duty hinged totes, that you can lock. The downfall to them is, you have to remove whatever is on them, before you can open your hatch. But for a long road trip, they're great, and you don't have to climb up on the tires to load them.

My two cents...

- - - Updated - - -

Yakima Rocket Box Pro 14 - great condition | Rock Haven, ND (bismanonline.com)

Cabela's TrailGear Cargo Carrier | Cabela's (cabelas.com)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if you will be close enough to use it, but I've got a receiver hitch luggage rack you can use. IME, using the roof of the car always seems to leave scratches to catch water and rust. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but that's just what seems to happen to me. Let me know if you want to use the receiver rack.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know if you will be close enough to use it, but I've got a receiver hitch luggage rack you can use. IME, using the roof of the car always seems to leave scratches to catch water and rust. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but that's just what seems to happen to me. Let me know if you want to use the receiver rack.

Thanks for the offer KDM. I have thought about that, as a buddy of mine offered his. It's just that if there is any rain or snow, anything on those racks get pretty dirty and if any snow, MN uses a $hitload of salt on their roads. The 3 guys can probably pack in 1 back. It's the 3 ladies that I'm worried about. Usually there is only 4 or us, as we have season tickets, so usually not a problem. It's just this one trip.

Not worried about "thugory", as it will only be on the roof while we are traveling.

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cargo carrier on rear with covered tote to keep from getting gunked up ? ? ?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the offer KDM. I have thought about that, as a buddy of mine offered his. It's just that if there is any rain or snow, anything on those racks get pretty dirty and if any snow, MN uses a $hitload of salt on their roads. The 3 guys can probably pack in 1 back. It's the 3 ladies that I'm worried about. Usually there is only 4 or us, as we have season tickets, so usually not a problem. It's just this one trip.

Not worried about "thugory", as it will only be on the roof while we are traveling.

I too have a receiver hitch mounted rack you could borrow, along with a rugged lockable big tote (you can stand on this one), that fits in it. I'm in south Bismarck. If you would like to borrow it, PM me. The tote best fits duffel type bags, rather than hard suitcases.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried most things. Directly on the roof scuffs the paint. I have a Thule, but it takes away from mileage. I prefer a hitch hauler. I have three with one that is hinged.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just need to throw in a bag or two and some coats for trip to Lambeau Field

I'd just throw everything in the toilet and forget about the trip to Lambowl. Seems more cost effective and heart-friendly.

Assuming, of course, you're Vikes fans like me. If not, piss off!

Yes, I still watch the NFL.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84