Rapala Rattle Reels- thoughts?

Deke

Was looking to swap out my current rattle reels in my ice castle this year which are the wooden productive alternative ones. I saw these Rapala smart hub ones at Scheels and they seemed fantastic. Just curious if anyone else had thoughts. From what I understand they came out this year so no one will likely have experience- I may have to be a guinea pig this winter.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Just curious, what did you like so much about them? They look pretty similar to the catch cover rattlesnake. Nice that they come spooled with line I guess.

Deke

Mind you I’ve never had the catch cover rattlesnake on my own house but have heard complaints. Of course I’ve had guys tell me they love them too which is great. A while back I was interested in the rattlesnake but gradually moved away from them based on guys I talked with.

Some of the complaints was line getting stuck between the reel and the holder, that it’s not sensitive enough for really finicky fish, being difficult to leave a bobber on the reel, the spool not turning smoothly or effortlessly, and it not being very loud for heavy sleepers.

The Rapala also is compatible with suffix spools so the spool of line can be placed directly into the rattle reel which I thought was at least interesting. I thought the reel seemed smooth, there’s a built in hook holder, and I liked the design overall. Obviously I don’t have any idea if they’re effective at all.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough to beat the ole wooden rattle reels. Can easily reel up a bobber, and set as light as you wish.

Aucker33

Established Member
These are by far my favorites in my house. The set up that mounts to the covers are a must with labs moving about the house. I have catchcovers as well but as someone said above they lack a smooth pull on a light bite. I do however like the catchcover rod holders.

https://ultimaterattlereels.com/

Last edited:

Deke

The wooden ones are what I have now and I have very few complaints, they’re just older and not in as great of shape so I thought I’d shop around.

Those ultimate rattle reels do look pretty slick, what do you like about them? I’ve never talked to anyone who has run them

Aucker33

Established Member
The tension adjustment is probably the best out of any that I have used and they are very smooth when a fish is slowly taking line. The only complaint I had was I couldn't tell which one was going off in the dark but they have come out with lights for them now. I haven't found anything other than that i would change. They are a good all around reel and I don't ever worry about breaking them. I've been running them for about 4 years with zero issues.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run the catch cover brand in my house, and couldn't be happier. When not in use I slip my rod holders in there place.

You can't beat the warranty on the Catch cover brand. I had my auger get away from me a few times and broke the lips on the inside hole. They just sent me the whole cover assembly. Asked if I should send in the damaged ones no we trust you.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74