hunting ethics

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot a cow in the brain and time how long it takes to quit moving if you haven't ever dispatched a large animal you have no reason telling someone they did it inhumanly and the animal suffers.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did initially think the four wheeler was used for transportation. If it was just sitting there, I’m guessing that is legal. A stalk and a kill happens in a hurry. I might have done the same shot in that situation. I would have kept the vid to myself though. The internet police comes out in full force if anything looks “off”.

I still post some pics/vids on book face for family/friends to see. That said if anything looks “off” in any way, it stays in the holster. Too damn much drama can be stirred.
I enjoy seeing your big fish pictures, but feel as though they would be prettier with johnr in them.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I'm glad for the discourse we've had on this subject. I've learned a bit and hope that disparaging comments don't discourage future questions or comments that might bring up important questions that can be discussed.

I've learned more from this thread than that video...

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot a cow in the brain and time how long it takes to quit moving if you haven't ever dispatched a large animal you have no reason telling someone they did it inhumanly and the animal suffers.

I understand what you are saying as I have killed many livestock with a 22 and all head shots. 22 and a high power rifle with head shots are completely different .
I also have shot 4 moose back in the day and all were 1 shot head shots. 3 never kicked or anything just straight drop and it was over. The other one kicked for maybe 15 seconds and that was done. All shots hit the brain and all were 300 mag.
Things happen I know and one can always have a "flier" now and then.
When one gets older the less you can tolerate of something or someone suffering.
NPO Aaron I got a negative rep also that said " your and Idiot". I probably am after 2 strokes but at least I can spell ! Just some clown that tries to be tough on the web but not tough enough to sign their name.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally just watched the original video. Where is the bull heaving for air? I didn’t see anything. Or is it edited now?

also congrats on the bull

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe on topic, but I had a buddy who did the elk cull hunts in TRNP. They were required to use all copper bullets otherwise the Feds wouldn't let them donate the meat.

He said they were double and triple tapping almost every elk they shot. Could have just been the design of the bullet as I know some people swear by them, however whatever order they received were pretty poor performing on larger undulates.

If he was a team leader and there for all/most of the time, they got Federal 165/168gn TSX projectiles in Rem 700 rifles chambered for .308Win. While I'm a big fan of all 3 of those components, I wouldn't put them together in that order to shoot really anything unless it's all I had.

FWIW, I double-lunged a Moose in Alberta w/300Win/200gn TSX and the wiggle was out of it before I could walk the 200yds to the carcass. I've personally killed 10 elk w/TSX bullets. Loaded TSX's for friend's rifles that have accounted for 5 more, and sat next to my hunting partner as he's killed a moose and 6 elk all w/TTSX bullets and 2 more via Nosler Partition. TSX/TTSXs and partitions properly placed flatten critters FAST.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've known Jason for many years. Haven't seen or talked with him in probably 20, or since I moved west. He hunts all over the place, as far as I know he has a vast life's experience in hunting, like more than probably any of us will ever be able to accomplish in 2 lifetimes.

Didn't know he would be the type to hate an Ice cold Milk...haha

I was not going to respond to this tread but KDM nailed it.
I feel it wasn't proper to show the dieing breaths but as a hunter who has killed LOTS of critters, I've seen it. Don't make it easier but...
And NO, that bull was not "double lunged" if it's still breathing ¹/2 hour after the shot!

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
It absolutely was. I don't care how many critters you've killed, I know what happened. I don't get grumpy about things much, but I was there and you were not. That bull was shot 2 times. Once through the lungs, once through the heart.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ironic thing about this whole ordeal is this guy will probably remember the bashing he took about posting a video to social media more then the actual hunt.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ironic thing about this whole ordeal is this guy will probably remember the bashing he took about posting a video to social media more then the actual hunt.

I didn't see the vids before they were edited but judging by the responses it must have been ugly. The wannabees probably learned some valuable lessons about ethics if they sink in. Are these the same clowns that drive a green vinyl wrapped pickup with 701 something on the side ?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy seeing your big fish pictures, but feel as though they would be prettier with johnr in them.

I think that'd be neat too, but only if he has pants on. Am I wrong? Matt? Randy? What say you?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you meant MRS JOHNR in those pictures.

Lando

Established Member
I think you meant MRS JOHNR in those pictures.

If that is her in his avatar, then yes x 100

Edit: I just watched the video. I am sorry, but that isn't hunting to me. A guy calls on the cell phone that he has some moose.....come shoot them. You shoot, then a tractor comes and carries away your moose? Nope.....not for me.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I don't see no tom foolery'ing around in the video and looks like it was a good fun hunt. That four wheeler did catch me be by surprise as I didn't know why or how it got out there, but in the end it could have just as well been an old rock pile or stationary abandoned car from the 50s.
Would have I put his this moose's dying seconds on social media or even video'd it, hell no! Do I understand it and have experienced the situations, absolutely!!

Video'ing isn't for me nor ever has been because I keep it all in my memory and Ive always figured those that wana be a part of the experience will be and wellll, the others can just get the story and pictures.
I've personally been attacked by a downed buck that got a sudden rush of adrenaline after being dispatched in the heart point blank and I don't want any part of that experience ever again! He had his rack stuck in the back of my sweatshirt and I couldn't get free, then all of a sudden he falls over stone dead.
To the hunter: hope this doesn't get ya down or let it ruin your once in a lifetime feeling of accomplishment by any means! Congrats.

I'd call BS on this if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. One of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. Ruined a perfectly good hoodie!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77