hunting ethics

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So on the Facebook there's a page that features lots of big antler pics from ND

A regional youtuber posted a moose hunt video.

In the video he shoots a moose in what appears to be an illegal fashion.

Then they spend a loooong time filming other bull meese who ran over to look at their fallen arch nemesis... and otherwise getting ready to go inspect the "dead" moose.

They approach the moose... and it's still heaving for breath. They discuss if approaching it is dangerous or not, and otherwise proceed to stand around and yuck it up about how thrilling the whole thing was - and wait for this moose to expire naturally. They do nothing to dispatch the dying moose.

I felt pretty sick about that and I made a remark on FB about that crap never happening on an animal of mine, and my comment was "canceled" by the FB page's administrator.

Anyway - thought I'd ask you all - because frankly I am not an expert at big game or ethics for that matter.

Is it not normally a major priority that one dispatches a dying animal as quickly as possible?

Is there any logical reason I can't think of that they didn't want to place a kill shot on an animal that had been laying there dying for a long time and still hadn't?

- - - Updated - - -

to be honest, they maybe did kill it after a while?

but after seeing the thing heaving for breath a number of times I had to stop watching - it somehow got to me

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting is no longer respectful or ethical like in the old days. I was taught to get as close as possible and make a clean shot. If any doubt don’t do it. Now it’s about getting the best video, or the most views, or the longest shot. When hunting videos became popular, and Ytube took over, that was the start of the downfall of hunting.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
watched it and had a similar feeling about the need to put another round in it as quickly as possible, even when it was still standing.. Killing is my least favorite part of hunting and prefer it to get done as fast as possible for the animal and myself

Last edited:

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have kept putting rounds into it until it was dead. To me there is no reason to have it suffer longer than it has to.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats the illegal fashion part ?

let's let identifying that be a challenge for the NDA community to solve shall we? :;:stirthepot

- - - Updated - - -

and remember - I said it "appears to be"

I'm not an expert at hunting laws ;)

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of us who don't have facebook, would someone post a link to said video please.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw said video and was unimpressed to say the least. If you're going to post a video like that, you sure as hell can edit out the parts of the critter expiring while you stand over it for multiple minutes. Even while trying to grab the head to show off the trophy, the critter was still pumping its chest up and down for air.

I'm all for people trying to video hunts but need to find some class in doing so. When harvesting or killing, your main goal as a hunter should be to dispatch the animal as quickly as possible. This did not happen in this video.

I believe the "illegal" part is that the hunter shot the critter while using a four wheeler as an aid to steady the rifle. From the ND hunting proclamation: "It is illegal to shoot with bow and arrow or firearm while in or on a motor driven vehicle." That's up to the game and fish to decide I guess so I'm not going to dive into that.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree guy,my big game days are long over but always had my 1911 smith along to finish the deed,hunting with others I would see these guyz hesitate to finish off with a 270/7mm up close,agree what a sad situation,further face book sucks.That is all.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
First buck I ever shot was on a trot (the deer, not me). I didn't have a ton of experience deer hunting, so tried getting him to stop by using a voice bleat. He just kept right on going.

So I timed my shot. Kept both eyes open, and when it felt right, squeezed off a shot. He was about 100 yards.

Dropped him instantly. I was extatic. Then I realized he wasn't dead. He'd fallen with his back to me, but he kept trying to lift his head.

It was clear I'd hit him high and in the spine. I racked another round and contemplated what to do. Do I shoot him again? If so, where do I aim? Do I get out my knife and try to slit his throat?

Eventually I mustered up the gumption to walk down to him. That's when I realized how truly massive he was -- and how very not dead.

I'll never forget that sight. It's haunting being close to something that large that's looking back at you.

I did the only thing I could think of: I put the barrel of my rifle about 12 inches from his brisket and pulled the trigger. He died almost immediately.

But between that point and when I fired the shot was probably 20 minutes. A lot of suffering went on, needlessly in my mind.

I'm older and wiser now (at least I'd like to think so). And if there's one feeling I'll never shake, it's the sickening helplessness if watching an animal suffer.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
duckslayer,

I spined a runner buck at maybe 50 yd one time (80s) with a .243 - and he started bellering [ugh]

It was the last shot I had left in my gun - with no backup ammo. I had just shot the first three or four shots at a different buck running farther out - when this one popped out at close range

I had to holler for my friend to run over and finish him (lower lung/heart - instantly down and out)

Mine was maybe only 2-3 minutes wait for my friend - but it was freaking AWFUL and I still feel guilty for not having ammo on me

- - - Updated - - -

Even while trying to grab the head to show off the trophy, the critter was still pumping its chest up and down for air.

Thanks for letting me know. I no longer have poster's remorse - they consciously decided it was cool to let that happen. :mad:

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A sharp knife is how I finish off a downed, but living animal. A quick cut and its over in no time, no sense unless you cannot get up to it to run another round of lead through it.

The quickest possible resource is best, to allow the animal to continue the struggle, and do nothing when you could have is not keen with me.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hard for me to imagine what they were even thinking in this video. That is pretty rough. "What a bunch of fucking idiots," is the first thing that comes to mind when I watch this and I bet I'm not the only one…right or wrong.

Hopefully they get enough negative feedback on this video to make a lightbulb turn on upstairs.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty cut and dried. Don’t use a motor vehicle as a rest and dispatch your animal quickly and humanely. That stuff is right in the proclamation.

EnglishCocker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to pile on but isn't it tagged illegally too? I was always told that you had to put the tag somewhere that can't be slid off. So on a main beam or below a fork. Maybe that has changed now though.

If you are going to film something like this and post it on the internet, you as a hunter have an obligation to make sure its above reproach. The anti hunting crowd doesn't need more ammunition to use.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77