hunting ethics

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watching the video of the steam coming out 10 inches down from the backbone and then right behind the shoulder tells me the shot was perfect. There will be 4 gallons of blood pumped into the chest cavity meaning it bled out of the meat.

- - - Updated - - -

Watching it again he may have clipped a bit of the shoulder blade.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kinda got a feeling there is a lot of self righteousness by readers of this post. . Have to believe we've all havent been in similar situations. Am i the only one that knew that bull was dead even thought it lay there with a couple last breaths and moved a bit. It is dead! It nerves etc are just winding down. No brain function to feel fear or pain. It was brain dead. Shot in heart...dead! I've killed a few deer with a knife to the throat and thought it was the worst thing Ive done. Grab by ear, yank head back and stab. You think that is ok? Wring a goose's neck. Hate doing that. But necessary on occasion. We all do the same stuff but yet crucify others who do the same? Like I said I was in clear understanding that bull was brain dead from heart shot but.... I wouldn't have shown it anyway. Just my opinion. No dog in fight. Didn't mind video albeit maybe cleaned up a bit.

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have put dispatched the moose...knife, another bullet...not cool. What they did paints a bad picture. They won't be able to win and argument against peta with this video...

Doesn't look like many on here think differently.

Great post GWF's

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Killed enough cattle, hogs, chickens, sheep, and other critters to KNOW, there is nothing going on in this video that doesn't happen tens of thousands of times a day in slaughter houses across this nation. Even a bullet to the brain WON'T stop muscle movements to include respiration movements, leg kicks, tail moves, etc. etc. etc. How is a moose different?? The internet is the difference. Would I put my memories on the internet and open myself up to whatever somebody deems appropriate....probably not. Opinions and ethics are as varied as people and folks seem to prefer negative over positive these days. I say, CONGRATULATIONS to the lucky hunter!! That's one damn fine bull!! Carry on.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I don't see no tom foolery'ing around in the video and looks like it was a good fun hunt. That four wheeler did catch me be by surprise as I didn't know why or how it got out there, but in the end it could have just as well been an old rock pile or stationary abandoned car from the 50s.
Would have I put his this moose's dying seconds on social media or even video'd it, hell no! Do I understand it and have experienced the situations, absolutely!!

Video'ing isn't for me nor ever has been because I keep it all in my memory and Ive always figured those that wana be a part of the experience will be and wellll, the others can just get the story and pictures.
I've personally been attacked by a downed buck that got a sudden rush of adrenaline after being dispatched in the heart point blank and I don't want any part of that experience ever again! He had his rack stuck in the back of my sweatshirt and I couldn't get free, then all of a sudden he falls over stone dead.
To the hunter: hope this doesn't get ya down or let it ruin your once in a lifetime feeling of accomplishment by any means! Congrats.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel that once you put stuff on the web it is game for criticism. I watched about 3 minutes of the video as I scrolled through it to just try and see the offensive parts. I didn't find any, but decided the 3 minutes I put into it was already to much.
Watching someone else hunt, fish, or fuck makes zero sense to me. Iffn it isn't my experience wtf do I even give a shit.

If any of you fellas shoot a big'un or catch a piggy, a nice picture is good enough for me, I sure don't need to see you hive five your "camera man" or hear you whispering and all that other jazz. It is nails on a chalk board.

Makes me feel like all the younger generation feels as though these experience have not been had 10's of thousands of times before, and they like the, "hey look at me", I did something super neat, no one has ever done this as neat as me.

Might be totally off, but that's what it makes me think when I see these videos.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ same

reason I watched what little I did was I'm always amazed how stupid easy moose hunting with a rifle in ND is

was fast-forwarding to kill site and couldn't believe the thing was still breathing and that they included that in the video

editing made it look like no second shot so that's what irked me enough to post this

actually, what irked me enough to post was FB page admin who deleted my comment - not sure why that irked me but it did

- - - Updated - - -

I sure am glad deer don't hang in there for twenty five freakin minutes after a "perfect shot", then need another round, then hang in there for more minutes with their hearts shot in half

yeesh

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fwiw my thoughts were how it was posted was in bad taste. Then I got to thinking of other videos of archery shot deer or elk that stand and spew blood before falling over and and kick till they stop moving. We all marvel and say great shot. He didn't live long. A moose is a much bigger animal and much more blood needs to be lost. Can't judge cause I don't know where the first shot was. I would assume good since it went down fairly quickly.

I also believe if you are going to share these hunts especially with your logo attached you better be thinking of the big picture. There are people waiting to use videos like this to use against the hunting community.

Another thing I wanted to point out that really concerns me was the point where the guy gets in front of the shooter and several times that muzzle was in his general direction. A round was chambered. I know they are all focused on this moose but firearm safety should be priority.

All learning experience and no one is perfect. Congratulations tho the shooter on a great bull

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should have just edited out the bull still breathing part and it would have been fine. It happens, this is real life they don't just die immediately, but I can see where that part might offend some people.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel that once you put stuff on the web it is game for criticism. I watched about 3 minutes of the video as I scrolled through it to just try and see the offensive parts. I didn't find any, but decided the 3 minutes I put into it was already to much.
Watching someone else hunt, fish, or fuck makes zero sense to me. Iffn it isn't my experience wtf do I even give a shit.

If any of you fellas shoot a big'un or catch a piggy, a nice picture is good enough for me, I sure don't need to see you hive five your "camera man" or hear you whispering and all that other jazz. It is nails on a chalk board.

Makes me feel like all the younger generation feels as though these experience have not been had 10's of thousands of times before, and they like the, "hey look at me", I did something super neat, no one has ever done this as neat as me.

Might be totally off, but that's what it makes me think when I see these videos.

I'll add my two cents to this...There are two reasons for posting on public social media sites IMO...attention and money. Attention..."hey! look at me! I'm cool!" or "Hey, I'm doing something neat! Want to come join?" or even "Hey! I know something you don't know, want to learn?". Then, the more people you can sucker in to watching, the more money you can make. Not all make money, but all want more attention than they are already getting...or not getting for the above reasons mentioned...IMO.

I won't say that I'm against posting videos, or wanting attention, or wanting money. People will do what they do, but they should be ready for long NDA threads like this.

Again, great post GWF's! I'm expanding my point of view and opinion! And I might be learning a little bit about myself!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I’m saying is the wrong warden would have written a ticket for shooting using the ATV in a heartbeat.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like the farmer/rancher was fencing with the 4-wheeler

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But just because you don't understand why someone else does something, doesn't make you right.

Assuming we want attention makes it seem like we think we're important. Fun fact, I don't. I'm a nobody who likes making hunting and fishing videos. Truth be told, I'm kindof antisocial and like to be by myself most of the time. I just really enjoy telling a story. I enjoy people feeling like they were there. And I love being able to look back on all the cool things I've been a part of over the last few years.

My coffee invite for Jiffy extends to you if you're ever around. People get mad about and talk down on things they don't understand. I'd love to help change your mind sometime.
I never said I was right, I just stated my opinion. You stated reasons on why you video everything, that was your opinion, it doesn’t make you right either. I don’t watch hunting or fishing videos because neither are a spectator sport. If I’m not the one doing the act I could give to shits less about watching someone else do it. We can absolutely have a coffee or beer sometime but I’ve no desire to discuss this topic because you won’t change my mind and I won’t change yours.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright fellas, I've been talking to Tyler quite a bit about the video today, and he's pretty tore up that things came across the way they did. So, I decided to get my version posted as soon as I could so people could see a better representation of what happened.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The four wheeler is quite interesting. Haha.

videos, tv, outfitters, bucks and bulls Facebook pages, social media, internet and ease of communication has definitely not made hunting better and will eventually ruin it.

#prostaff

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lucky no one was hurt. Still think the labored breathing with steam coming out of the hole was bad taste. Follow up shot then show walking up to dead animal. That's all that was needed. Save the rough copy for yourself

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a bullet between its eyes and finish it off.
I can't stand to see an animal suffer no matter how it came to be.
Shot many for people that didn't finish them off, got chewed out once for it and told the s.o.b. i will do it again if you don't finish off the kill if I am around.
It is our duty to finish them off a quick and painless as possible. This is just common sense and I realize too many nowadays don't have common sense.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85