Loaded Muzzleloader in or on motor vehicle?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it.

The big game and deer regs say you can't carry a loaded ML. That makes things "complicated" for MLs.

"Unless otherwise authorized under N.D.C.C., no person may carry a firearm with a cartridge in thechamber in or on a motor-driven vehicle while hunting big game animals."

Having to "unload" a ML isn't fun - or quiet if you do it the obvious way.

I wonder if NDGF would allow one to remove the primer or flintlock mechanism as an approved method of unloading a ML.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I did a lot of ML hunting in the 2L designated area, it wasn't considered loaded without the primer in place. I'm not sure if that has changed, but that was the deal 8-10 years ago. I also found out if you let your gun get cold and warm it back up the condensation will kill the power of your powder. I had a chance at a nice buck and instead of BANG it went POOF and I'm not sure the bullet made it 100 feet.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I did a lot of ML hunting in the 2L designated area, it wasn't considered loaded without the primer in place. I'm not sure if that has changed, but that was the deal 8-10 years ago. I also found out if you let your gun get cold and warm it back up the condensation will kill the power of your powder. I had a chance at a nice buck and instead of BANG it went POOF and I'm not sure the bullet made it 100 feet.
Sounds like it might be an age thing, a lot of POOF in the johnr house lately...

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can have the muzzleloader loaded but can’t have a primer on .

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine still goes bang, but there’s no legal place that allows me to shoot it.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
t is illegal to carry any muzzleloading firearm in or on
a motor-driven vehicle with a percussion cap or primer on the nipple or powder in the flash pan.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
good stuff

so is this actually written up in the regs/proclamation somewhere??

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the late 90s there was this one guy whom had a primer loaded on the nipple of his muzzleloader in his ol 88 suburban, proceeded to hit a bump in the road, and sent a 50 Cal bullet right through the center of the floorboard taking out some critical wiring harness and embedding it into the transfer case whilst leaving him stranded.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it.

The big game and deer regs say you can't carry a loaded ML. That makes things "complicated" for MLs.

"Unless otherwise authorized under N.D.C.C., no person may carry a firearm with a cartridge in thechamber in or on a motor-driven vehicle while hunting big game animals."

Having to "unload" a ML isn't fun - or quiet if you do it the obvious way.

I wonder if NDGF would allow one to remove the primer or flintlock mechanism as an approved method of unloading a ML.

Muzzleloaders don't have a cartridge.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the late 90s there was this one guy whom had a primer loaded on the nipple of his muzzleloader in his ol 88 suburban, proceeded to hit a bump in the road, and sent a 50 Cal bullet right through the center of the floorboard taking out some critical wiring harness and embedding it into the transfer case whilst leaving him stranded.

haha, I know that guy!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is the wording from page 8 of the proclamation.

It is illegal to carry any muzzleloading firearm in or on
a motor-driven vehicle with a percussion cap or primer on the nipple or powder in the flash pan.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Indeed it is - I got to “cylinders” part earlier and bailed out a sentence or two too early - ha ha

thanks!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always thought as long as the primer was out you were good to go here.

Same thing happened to me up in Canada one time. Was probably me 4th day, lots of sitting in the cold in treestands dark till dark with snow. I would keep my arms over the TC action to keep it dry the best I could. Finally a good buck came through and I stopped him at about 40 yards with a grunt. But instead of a POOF mine was more of a POOP! I didn't know what to do, he was still standing there so I just kept it aimed at him thinking just maybe the damn thing would go off but unfortunately for me it did not. Happy ending thou, I waited him out and ended up tipping him over a couple days later! :)

Oh mine was a primer issue, because when we go back to camp a put a new one in an it went off no problem, kind of odd.

Last edited:

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would make sure you mark your ramrod,so that you know if you have a charge in the barrel or the charge has slid foward,just a good safety practice.I use a thin strip of the wifes crafting vinyl,easy to see and remove if you change loads.
A buddys son shot a double load in the muzzy,thankfully not seriously injured,it does happen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67