Getting pumped: Deer opener!

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
No rifle tag for me this year. Didn't even get together this year for it as my brother didn't get one either and dad forgot about his gratis. Hope everyone is having a successful weekend

Whitetail56

No rifle tag for me this year. Didn't even get together this year for it as my brother didn't get one either and dad forgot about his gratis. Hope everyone is having a successful weekend

Anybody down I the 4d 4e 4f area hunting. Curious if there seeing any whitetails

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any rutting going on? Seeing tons of does and no bucks. Did I miss it? Am I impatient?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone remember the last time they switch the clocks back during deer season? I have a memory like an elephant for stupid shit but can't remember when the clocks were changing during deer season.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's too warm this year for rut last year though it was also warm but rut had started much earlier last year like in the section week in October. I don't believe the does are in season yet been way too warm so far. I have see lots of deer this year with all year classes congregating around the bait piles. Does spending close to an hour at a time in the last few mornings with some have fawns by thier side still. That will all change though because the bigger bucks you can actually hear them scraping in the trees, out in the distance. Been too warm haven't even took the safety off yet lots of deer this year but being patient. Brother pulled the trigger though got a dandy 5x4 (dressed out at 194) Saturday morning but he lives in Fargo so doesn't have the luxury of taking his time or being picky.
14781.jpg

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest I have never seen so much rut activity for opening weekend ever. Watched a doe get mounted this morning and saw 4 big mature bucks sniffing around to. Mature to me is 4.5 +. Southcentral ND.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whitetail56, We just got back from hunting 4D. Seen 1 whitetail buck the whole hunt. I don't think there is much ruttin going on in the area I'm hunting, as we seen numerous herds of muley's with 4 5 or 6 medium bucks in them. I have hunted this area for many years and the whitetail took a big hit in the area between Golva and Beach where I hunt. It really is sad, as I hunted antelope with my daughter in that same area, and we seen a lot of whitetails then. After talking to farmers this past weekend, they have been finding dead whitetails all over. Good Luck to you.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a number of bucks fighting in 3A4. At one point I had 6 bucks grazing on a field. We filled a few tags this weekend. Didn't see any dead deer. I did count 6 dead in the ditch (I'm sure a few were hit, but seeing that many dead makes me think EHD) between the tailrace and Dickinson on my way home.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have not noticed a ton of rut activity so far. But a couple smaller bucks chasing doe. Been about it. Daughter made it home from college and didn't have much time to hunt so she was happy to fill her tag Saturday morning

Attachments

20211106_101313.jpg
Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great pic!! I'm glad that young lady is your problem!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone remember the last time they switch the clocks back during deer season? I have a memory like an elephant for stupid shit but can't remember when the clocks were changing during deer season.

I think deer season opens at noon on the first Friday in November. Haven't hunted ND in many years, so could be wrong. I do know that time ALWAYS changes to standard time on the First Sunday of Nov, so if both are true then the clocks would always change on Sunday the weekend that deer season opens.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I liked spending time with my dad. But for the second year in a row, the weather killed the deer movement. Hopefully that changes this week. I'll be switching to the "good side" of the river to see if I can fill either my ND archery tag or rifle tag. Stay tuned...

EA37B4A6-.jpg

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't see a lot of activity over the weekend either. The wife missed one hell of a buck Saturday morning. Then she sealed the deal Saturday afternoon on a different buck. We didn't see much for doe's so I guess I will be out again this weekend. Kind of odd that we saw more bucks than doe's. I walked 5 miles on Sunday and only saw two coyotes, and I shot one of them. I am hoping the deer will be moving a little more this weekend since it will be colder.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
We saw good rut activity on Sunday. Saturday there was a group of 8 does running alone, on Sunday morning saw the same group of does and they picked up 3 bucks. One of them was a small buck and the other two were in the 140" class. For the first 30 minutes they stayed on the edge of the corn, (Land that we can't hunt) then they came out and started to fight for about 10 minutes. Both of their necks were very swollen. I'm guessing one of the does came into heat over the night.

A friend of mine sent me a picture of a huge buck that a young lady shot on Saturday that scored 197". It was shot in south Central N.D. I also saw a picture of a buck that scored 183".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77