Getting pumped: Deer opener!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest muley was shot opening morning as the sun crept up right where he was the night before. About the only time a plan like that has worked out for me

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought this thread was going to be about what happens to wives/girlfriends that are left home alone for opening weekend

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whitetail56, We just got back from hunting 4D. Seen 1 whitetail buck the whole hunt. I don't think there is much ruttin going on in the area I'm hunting, as we seen numerous herds of muley's with 4 5 or 6 medium bucks in them. I have hunted this area for many years and the whitetail took a big hit in the area between Golva and Beach where I hunt. It really is sad, as I hunted antelope with my daughter in that same area, and we seen a lot of whitetails then. After talking to farmers this past weekend, they have been finding dead whitetails all over. Good Luck to you.
yes that area got it bad one farmer had 26 died in tree row 1/2 mile long

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I hunted all day yesterday. Put on some miserable miles. Figured we might try to find them in the beds. We saw one shootable buck but couldn't get a shot off quick enough. Saw two coyotes, one regular one and the other was a giant. I don't really want to say that I believe it was a wolf, I didn't get a good enough look at it. But it was about three times the size of a coyote.

Didn't get to shoot anything, but it was a successful day exploring and spending time together. I'm grateful my wife loves to hunt too!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I hunted all day yesterday. Put on some miserable miles. Figured we might try to find them in the beds. We saw one shootable buck but couldn't get a shot off quick enough. Saw two coyotes, one regular one and the other was a giant. I don't really want to say that I believe it was a wolf, I didn't get a good enough look at it. But it was about three times the size of a coyote.

Didn't get to shoot anything, but it was a successful day exploring and spending time together. I'm grateful my wife loves to hunt too!

You by chance weren't anywhere near the intersection of old 10 an West river road just west of Medora when you spotted the large coyote ?
My son saw a giant coyote in that area opening weekend.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
You by chance weren't anywhere near the intersection of old 10 an West river road just west of Medora when you spotted the large coyote ?
My son saw a giant coyote in that area opening weekend.

No, we were further north.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wall-eyes, that is one of the area's I hunt, as that land owner is my brother in laws brother.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, my wife got it done Saturday. It was the first day we saw any rutting activity. We went out in the morning and she missed a big buck. My range finder didn't want us to take that deer I guess because I couldn't get that damn thing to work. I even had new batteries in it. But now that my wife was there to witness the frustration, she's already agreed that I need to upgrade!

Then that afternoon my oldest daughter had a thing she needed to be at and someone had to watch my two youngest. So I talked my wife in to going by herself. She sat up against a tree on the edge of a field and had a buck come from behind her about 40 yards to her left. Ran out in the field about 250 yards and the rest was hard work! I was able to get my dad to watch the kids while I went to get her and her trophy! I'm glad I married someone who isn't afraid to hunt. She was scared of coyotes and the dark, and she didn't want to even attempt to gut it, but that stuff will get better in time!

This was one of the more difficult hunts I've had. We hunted hard for almost the entire three weeks. I learned a lot. Biggest thing I learned is that you'll never be able to hunt in an area alone. There are always people everywhere. Rude people too. They'll park right next to you and walk right past you and not even care. Had one guy tell me that some truck from Idaho parked so close next to him that he nearly hit him with his bumper. We'll never put in for this unit again...

Disclaimer...We're not the greatest at remembering to take good pictures. The first one is the one she sent to me as proof that she actually got one!

Jess Deer 2021.jpg

Jess Deer 2021-2.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74