Does anyone read any C.J. Box books?

Lando

Established Member
I have had the opportunity to guide this author and fell in love with his writings of the a Wyoming game warden named Joe Pickett. The books cover all towns from all across the state, he uses current political themes or local lore, and the names of characters are folks from across the state. He even uses my name as a character in a book. (One time on the river, he asked me how I would like to die in the book? I told him fishing would pick up and rowed a bit harder......)

The book series has been picked up for a tv show-if you haven't started reading them, I would highly recommend them. Don't confuse them with the Longmire books/tv series-that's in another made up town in Wyoming.

The author has another series of books that he wrote because his daughters came back from college during Thanksgiving break with their check engine light on. It is about a truck driver that kidnaps women......very dark, and quite different from the Joe Pickett books.This too has been picked up as a tv series that can be seen on ABC-Big Sky. The show is a lot different than the books, but they all seem to be.

If you haven't read any of Chuck's writings, I would suggest picking something up from the library. It may help you get through the winter and make you want to visit Wyoming. He even put me in one of his books. Even if you don't like to read, the books on tape are fun to listen to while driving to the lake or blind.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
C.J Box and Craig Johnson are the best . Nate Romanoski is my icon !!!!
Also start the Joe Pickett series at the beginning.

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for posting that.

Always looking for new reading material.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read the entire Joe Pickett series and a couple of other books. Easy and entertaining reads.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Yup, read all of the Joe Pickett books also all of the Longmire series too. Actually meet C J Box at a book signing about 10 years ago. Seemed like a nice guy.

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend of mine suggested CJ Box and I have enjoyed his style of writing. I should probably have had read in series but, oh well, still good stuff. Also like Nate, as he is one badass, living of the grid dude with his Casull 454 strapped to his hip.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spent quite some time with chuck box as he researched the book Badlands and its sequel. Nice guy who loves to float fish the Wyoming rivers.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another author that some of you may enjoy, is William Kent Krueger. He's written a few different types of books, but I'm on book two of his series about a sheriff in northern MN. Excellent book. Can't remember the name of the first one, but the second is Boundary Waters. Very good stuff (an admission though: I like reading crime novels)

Jaykay

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
CORK O’CONNOR MYSTERIES

1. Iron Lake, Atria Books hardcover, 1998; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
2. Boundary Waters, Atria Books hardcover, 1999; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
3. Purgatory Ridge, Atria Books hardcover, 2001; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
4. Blood Hollow, Atria Books hardcover, 2004; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
5. Mercy Falls, Atria Books hardcover, 2005; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
6. Copper River, Atria Books hardcover, 2006; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
7. Thunder Bay, Atria Books hardcover, 2007; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
8. Red Knife, Atria Books hardcover, 2008; Atria Books trade paperback, 2009
9. Heaven’s Keep, Atria Books hardcover, 2009; Atria Books trade paperback, 2010
10. Vermilion Drift, Atria Books hardcover, 2010; Atria Books trade paperback, 2011
11. Northwest Angle, Atria Books hardcover, 2011; Atria Books trade paperback, 2012
12. Trickster’s Point, Atria Books hardcover, 2012; Atria Books trade paperback, 2013
13. Tamarack County, Atria Books hardcover, 2013; Atria Books trade paperback, 2014
14. Windigo Island, Atria Books hardcover, 2014; Atria Books trade paperback, 2015
15. Manitou Canyon, Atria Books hardcover, 2016; Atria Books trade paperback, 2017
16. Sulfur Springs, Atria Books hardcover, 2017; Atria Books trade paperback, 2018
17. Desolation Mountain, Atria Books hardcover, 2018; Atria Books trade paperback, 2019
18. Lightning Strike, Atria Books hardcover, 2021

Agree somewhat. I read all the way thru Windigo Island. Also started reading his blog which sort of went political. He was up at the Angle before his book the 'Northwest Angle' even had a book signing in Greenbush and Warroad. Some of the locals went.

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another author that some of you may enjoy, is William Kent Krueger. He's written a few different types of books, but I'm on book two of his series about a sheriff in northern MN. Excellent book. Can't remember the name of the first one, but the second is Boundary Waters. Very good stuff (an admission though: I like reading crime novels)

Jaykay

I read several of those too. Really like those ones.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been a member of a site called 'goodreads' for a long time. It is a very easy way to keep track of what you have read and see reviews of those books and similar authors and books. Check it out.

Lando

Established Member
Spent quite some time with chuck box as he researched the book Badlands and its sequel. Nice guy who loves to float fish the Wyoming rivers.

That he does. The Badlands books are pretty dark compared to the Joe Pickett books. I know that the Nate character was one of Chuck's high school friends that was in the Air Force and flies falcons. It is pretty interesting to find out just how much research he puts into each book.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big question! Has anyone found out how to get the Joe Pickett series yet? As I understand I have Midco and I haven't figured out Spectrum yet. Anyone, Anyone?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big question! Has anyone found out how to get the Joe Pickett series yet? As I understand I have Midco and I haven't figured out Spectrum yet. Anyone, Anyone?

Are you asking about a television series or do you mean the book series. PS - nice footer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76