Sharptail Recipes?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Grouse Ramaki(could be used with goose or duck)

Ingredients
Cut grouse into 1 to 1 1/4” pieces
Sliced water chestnuts
Thin sliced bacon cut into 1/2 or 1/3
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c brown sugar
Toothpicks

Wrap grouse and water chestnut with bacon, secure with toothpick
mix brown sugar and soy sauce together, pour over toothpick scewers
marinate 4 to 12 hours, stir occasionally

grill to med rare, sprinkle with pepper or garlic seasoning

EAT

You could probably substitute dried dogshit for the grouse and it would still be edible haha.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a cedar board about 8 x 12 in. Soak it in water with a mixture of bourbon and sea salt over night. Season the sky carp with more pink sea salt and fresh ground pepper, fresh lime wedges, cumin, and paprika. Place on soaked cedar plank and smoke for 5 hours at 180 degrees. Every hour spray it down with a mixture of the bourbon and apple juice to keep moist. After 5 hours put on grill with the plank and sear on high heat for a few minutes and remove. Let rest for 10 minutes and slice thinly. Then throw that shit in the garbage and eat the cedar plank, it will taste better.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
eat them fresh sharptail loose a lot when frozen. Cook a lot by frying like fish with shore lunch

SlickTrick125

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably doesn’t fit into today’s healthy living but I truly enjoy me some chicken fried grouse. Pound the breasts fairly flat with a meat tenderizer, dip them in seasoned flower then in egg then in Pancko crumbs and pan fry. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy and you’ll wonder why you don’t grouse hunt more often.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a good appetizer cut the grouse breasts into strips. Soak in soy to taste. I usually soak about a half hr or hr. Wrap the strip around a strip of jalapeño. Wrap a strip of bacon around the grouse/pepper strip and grill.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
cook them in cream of chicken and cream of mushroom mix, season to likeness with ricks season salt and/or any other spices you may like. You can add mushrooms or other vegetables in if you want also, serve over rice or cook with rice mixed in already in the crockpot. Or shorelunch and pan fry. Spend some time getting the legs separated from the bones or removing the tendons, can do it just like a chicken, before cooking if you are picky.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pound a breast fillet to about 1/2" and season with salt and garlic pepper. Place green peppers, red onions, mushrooms...ect basically whatever you like on top. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Grill to med rare, this is the important part. I am a sharpie convert. I used to hate to eat them. In fact I never did until I learned how to prepare them correctly. They are very good!!

I'm going to have to try the chicken fried sharpie thing. That makes sense and I bet it's outstanding!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can make a Mongolian grouse it works good with goose also.

Cube up meat then coat in corn or potato starch
heat oil in pan cook till med rare very important not to over cook
1/2 cup soy sauce bring to boil and add 3/4 cup of brown sugar
add the sauce to meat in pan you cooked it in and reduce it down
serve over rice garnished with green onion

mongolian goose.JPG

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huge fan of fresh sharptail cooked no more than medium rare. Freeze it and it's crap. Overcook it and it's even worse. Coat with flour, salt and pepper and just pan fry.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM weigh in here . Does your 1/2 cup soy sauce 1/2 cup olive oil crushed garlic marinade for goose and then grill slightly apply here ?

bigsky2

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to try a few of these.

bilbo

Honored Member
I never liked it, always just felt obligated to eat it since I shot it. A couple of years ago I had some, frozen, and made fajita meat with it alongside some steak and chicken. I'd have never guess which bowl was emptied first. I actually liked it too, and preferred it over the beef and chicken. It worked really well for that and I'm looking forward to having more, just need to connect with some sharpies.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM weigh in here . Does your 1/2 cup soy sauce 1/2 cup olive oil crushed garlic marinade for goose and then grill slightly apply here ?

Nope, but this is what Mrs. KDM does with grouse.

Sharptail on Mushroom Toast:

1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tsp flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together in a small bowl and set aside.

8 tbsp butter
4 slices french bread
butter slices of bread place on a baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven until starting to turn brown, but still soft.

1 tbsp chopped onion
8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, chopped into tiny pieces
salt and pepper to taste
2 - 4 tbsp butter or as needed

Saute onions and mushrooms in butter until soft, about 10 min, and most of the moisture is evaporated. Set aside

For the grouse
4 breasts
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
enough butter to fry breasts
parsley to taste or optional

In a fry pan, melt butter for grouse and get hot, to about the time the butter just starts to turn brown. season grouse breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and fry/saute until med (should be a bit pink inside). Remove breasts from pan and let rest a couple min, then thinly slice them at an angle. in the mean time, while breasts are resting, add reserved wine mixture to the breast pan and cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in parsley if desired.

To serve, take each piece of toast and place a large tablespoon of the onion/mushroom mixture on top, place the sliced meat of one breast
on top of the mushrooms and ladle the sauce over the top and serve immediately. Oh so good!!!

PS: Mrs. KDM wrote the above and it most certainly DOESN'T SUCK!!!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, but this is what Mrs. KDM does with grouse.

Sharptail on Mushroom Toast:

1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tsp flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together in a small bowl and set aside.

8 tbsp butter
4 slices french bread
butter slices of bread place on a baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven until starting to turn brown, but still soft.

1 tbsp chopped onion
8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, chopped into tiny pieces
salt and pepper to taste
2 - 4 tbsp butter or as needed

Saute onions and mushrooms in butter until soft, about 10 min, and most of the moisture is evaporated. Set aside

For the grouse
4 breasts
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
enough butter to fry breasts
parsley to taste or optional

In a fry pan, melt butter for grouse and get hot, to about the time the butter just starts to turn brown. season grouse breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and fry/saute until med (should be a bit pink inside). Remove breasts from pan and let rest a couple min, then thinly slice them at an angle. in the mean time, while breasts are resting, add reserved wine mixture to the breast pan and cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in parsley if desired.

To serve, take each piece of toast and place a large tablespoon of the onion/mushroom mixture on top, place the sliced meat of one breast
on top of the mushrooms and ladle the sauce over the top and serve immediately. Oh so good!!!

PS: Mrs. KDM wrote the above and it most certainly DOESN'T SUCK!!!

Ok, now you're just showin' off.....not all of us have a gourmet chef at home! I'm freaking hungry now!!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76