UTV Snow Plows

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey guys, I got a 2015 Honda Pioneer 700 recently and I want to put a snow plow on it. However, I am one of those guys that goes back and forth on the internet over which is better. Any of you guys run snow plows on UTVs? What brand do you have? Do you like it or do you wish you would have went with something else?

I live in the country, no concrete, all gravel. I would say I have a pretty large area to push. Looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance....I know I'll get some good advice here!

The three I am looking at are all 72" blades:

Honda RM5 Moose system
Denali UTV Pro
Warn ProVantage

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Moose plow on my 4 wheeler. Put it 1st on my Honda Rancher, and then transferred it over to my Can-Am when I switched over. Can't say I have anything bad to say about the plow, it has held up great for 7 years now and I plow a gravel driveway. Quick and easy to make adjustments for the blade angle.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had the moose plow on my honda for many years,no issues other than piss poor way to hook the plow up underneath the utv frame,had to crawl underneath the rig to hookup and unhook the plow.,last year upgraded to a new utv,like you checked around all different brands,considered a v-plow from Boss,but reports of ram seals blowing out in heavy snow,no vehicle support like boss v-plows used on trucks,all the snow weight is on the plow rams...great concept like on our trucks but not on a atv or utv.

Ended up with an American Eagle straight blade,easy peasy front attachment,no pins to lose or break,3000lb winch,it's best to change out the winch cable as the cable will bind and fray from plowing and will usually break when in the middle of a job,I used synthetic rope which still binds but lasts longer than winch cable and very easy to retie once wear is observed,currently using a 7k lb 4"strap on my winch,not recommended if you intend to use the winch on trail rides as the strap is only 5'long but it is excellent just for plowing... I don't trail ride just use the rig for plowing my long driveway,pulling my utility trailer /field dekes and icefishing,just incase I need to pull or get pulled out of a situation,always have a tow strap onboard.

Oh,as far as the winch goes don't fall for the cheapy winch,winch cogs are synthetic,wear out really fast plowing,best to upgrade the winch to steel cogs,money well spent.

My .02.

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a Massimo snowblower for the Ranger at work. Gonna I stall it today or tomorrow. I'll post pics and a review later.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 60 inch Swisher on a 2006 Polaris Ranger 700. It's been on since I bought it new. Don't leave to much slack in the winch or it will catch in cracks or stones and snap the synthetic rope.
I push my drive the head a 1/4 mile up the road sweeping in twice which leaves the road open for about a dozen neighbors. One fellow complained that I didn't do his driveway and I laughed. He didn't laugh he was complaining that I left a small ridge like the county plow also does and that if I didn't clean his drive I was a hinderance not a help. What to do this winter?????????

Mr.Mike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have run the Warn ProVantage on my Honda Pioneer for the last 2 years. Works pretty good, but the mounts can get bent if you aren't careful. Definitely moves a lot of snow!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a KFI on my big red. Very well made and extremely easy to hook up.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 60 inch Swisher on a 2006 Polaris Ranger 700. It's been on since I bought it new. Don't leave to much slack in the winch or it will catch in cracks or stones and snap the synthetic rope.
I push my drive the head a 1/4 mile up the road sweeping in twice which leaves the road open for about a dozen neighbors. One fellow complained that I didn't do his driveway and I laughed. He didn't laugh he was complaining that I left a small ridge like the county plow also does and that if I didn't clean his drive I was a hinderance not a help. What to do this winter?????????

​To quote my Granddaughter. "Must be a Biden voter".

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a KFI on my big red. Very well made and extremely easy to hook up.

Skeeter, how old of setup is that, and how easy to hook up? Durable…how long have you had it? I want to be able to easily/quickly attach or detach as needed so I can use the machine for other jobs.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just can't see plowing snow with a utv or atv. Doesn't seem like you'd have enough traction to me plus a utv would be hard to maneuver around i would think. I can see them working in soft fluffy snow but the hard as concrete drifts I wonder about. A neighbor did have a plow on a utv with tracks and really bragged it up. I can see tracks giving you alot of traction but there the turning radius really sucks with tracks.

Think I'd rather have a front wheel assist tractor with cab and loader or dozer.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skeeter, how old of setup is that, and how easy to hook up? Durable…how long have you had it? I want to be able to easily/quickly attach or detach as needed so I can use the machine for other jobs.
About 5 years old. Attached with 2 pins and then hook up your winch. About a 3 min process. There is a base plate that stays mounted under the front of the machine. I can get you pictures this weekend if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

I just can't see plowing snow with a utv or atv. Doesn't seem like you'd have enough traction to me plus a utv would be hard to maneuver around i would think. I can see them working in soft fluffy snow but the hard as concrete drifts I wonder about. A neighbor did have a plow on a utv with tracks and really bragged it up. I can see tracks giving you alot of traction but there the turning radius really sucks with tracks.

Think I'd rather have a front wheel assist tractor with cab and loader or dozer.
tracks on frozen bare ground are useless. All they do with spin. I push a lot of snow with mine you can put tire chains on but I’ve never had a traction issue.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Naw no worries pushing snow with a atv/utv,it's amazing how much snow they can push,average atv weigh about 800lbs,most utv's weigh around 1200lbs so a good heavy base either way,even tho these newer rigs have front diff/lock haven't needed to engage mine yet,if heavy snow is perdicted I'll get out and move snow around a couple times to avoid drifting...

Also considered a snow blower attachment,the one I looked at was a pain to mount or so it seemed plus a dusting of a couple "'s the blade is so convinient to clean up over the blower.

my .02

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used a moose County plow for just the main driveway when on the ranch. Worked good and still have it packed away back in ND.
If gravel driveway best to build up a base and pack it down good. Then you can push snow over the whole driveway and don't have to worry about putting gravel on your lawn.
A buddy had one of those blowers with a Honda motor for his atv. He could blow sod with that sucker!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks Skeeter I would appreciate some pictures. I will look into the KFI...but that will just add another option to my dilemma...

NDbowman...what would a tractor set-up like you mentioned run a guy?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Skeeter I would appreciate some pictures. I will look into the KFI...but that will just add another option to my dilemma...

NDbowman...what would a tractor set-up like you mentioned run a guy?

That depends alot on how big you want to go. Used and maybe older tractor with loader maybe 10k or less depending what you want. Newer or bigger the sky is the limit in price, it'd be whatever you want to pay. I ranch so I have a loader tractor and a big front wheel assist tractor with a 12 ft dozer blade. I've plowed roads with the tractor and dozer blade but even that 200hp tractor will find drifts that are to big or to hard and will spin out if you try and push to much. But those are drifts that are hard as concrete and can drive over them without falling in.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A nice FWA 40-50 hp Cab Tractor with a loader and Blower is gonna run $40k-$55k new and $30k-$40k for lightly used. That's assuming a name brand like Deere or Case. If you go with a Mahindra, LS or any of the other foreign jobs you'll save $10k but parts and service is harder to come by.

I have a Bobcat CT445 FWA 45 HP tractor with full cab/heat/air with a front end loader and a 84" Lorenz blower. We also have a Yamaha Grizzly 660 with a countyline plow. I didn't even buy a plow for the SxS. The ATV is way more maneuverable and quicker when it comes to moving snow than a SxS. In either case, Atv or SxS, they both have their limitations. Anything more than 6" becomes a job and when if you have to deal with drifts several feet tall, well it's just plain painful. Neither will have the traction or blade capacity to do it efficiently, that's where the tractor and blower come in! If I had to choose between and ATV and a SxS for snow duty, I almost would certainly pick the ATV with the only downside being you'll be bundled up and wearing a snowmobile helmet vs sitting in a heated cab. But maneuverability and quickness far out shine the SxS. I also perfer a manual lever lift on the plow vs using the winch. The winch is slow in comparison.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77