Devils Lake Fishing/Hunting Lodge - Looking for Input

Mr_Steve

My brother along with my Aunt and Uncle just turned a farm house outside of Devils Lake into a rental house set up for hunting and fishing groups. This is their first time doing this. They put a lot of work into the house and garage to get it updated and ready. They just started renting it and asked me what else they needed but I was drawing blanks.

They are wondering what recommendations people have that use places like this. What are must haves, things to do to the house, things not to do, pricing, etc. They just redid the basement along with new beds. The garage is heated and set up to spread out all your gear. They own several hundred acres around the house that is good waterfowl hunting and would possibly allow access with rental but can't list that on the link due to VRBO policy.

Please give any input or suggestions you have! The good, bad and the ugly. They will appreciate it, thank you!

https://www.vrbo.com/2397322?noDates=true&unitId=2964948

- - - Updated - - -

Prairie Pines.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good wash area in the garage if there isn't one already. Double sink, countertop, and hangers. Anything to keep the inside of the house clean is a bonus. Face paint, blood, feathers, fish slime, and just plain dirt is better washed off outside the house. A dumpster if there isn't one there that has a good cover to keep critters out. A water heater big enough to handle showers/dish washer/washing machine, etc. etc. for however many guys you plan on having there. Having to ration shower time SUCKS!!! Two coffee pots. 4 coffee drinkers will drain a decanter real quick. Me without my coffee in the morning is NOT a pretty sight. Rugs, Rugs, and more Rugs to cover the floors in high traffic areas. I know it sounds silly, but it's an easy way to protect the floor and quick cleaning helps alot. That's what I have for now.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From experience I really liked an outdoor water spigot with hot water. Nice for cleaning up dogs and hosing off waders etc. with warm water instead of freezing cold. Plus all the mud stays outside.

For coffee, I was at an elk hunting lodge 2 years ago as well as 3 years. The first year they had a large coffee maker and the second they had a Keurig for individual cups. There were 10 hunters in the lodge plus guides, wranglers, packers etc. It doesn't take long to make a cup and they had a big box of different flavors of coffee. Something for everybody and no down time if the big pot runs dry.

Whatever they can do to prevent a mess from coiming inside and keeping it comfortable for cleanup outside a big plus.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice maker it sucks goin to town for ice all of the above is great I like the idea of warm water outside to wash the dogs or maybe a kennel with a dog door to the garage so the dogs don't have to come in the house but stay close and warm. Big freezer to keep your catch or kill in for multiple days.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decontamination station for the zebra mussels the MN folks bring over :)

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
put a limit on the number of people can be on site, Its a known fact that around dvl certain people rent a verbo then the yard fills with tents, and the house is wall to wall people.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is anyone going to be @ the house “hosting”? If so, they can make sure at least most of the rules are followed. If not, assume:

1. Every dog will have run of the house, dirty/shedding/muddy/stinky won’t matter to the dog owner, their buddy is coming in.
2. Nobody will take their shoes/boots off, ever.
3. The garbage disposal for the main sink should be something roughly the size and capability of that powered by the PTO off of a tractor.
4. Towels will be used to clean anything/everything, not just for drying off after a shower. Buy bleach by the 55Gal barrel.
5. I’d ditch every fiber of carpet for laminate. 1st dog that pees on the carpet has just invited every subsequent canine to pee in the same spot until the end of time.

Mr_Steve

Wow these are solid. I really like the sink in the garage idea, warm water spigot outside as well. The large freezer is a no brainer! I'll check on the coffee situation. I could see the benefits of both a Keurig style machine and a regular drip coffee maker.

Keep 'em coming! Does the price seem reasonable?

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that price per night cause $260 for 11 people is damn cheap. You might want to do a per person rate I would 11 people is big party and a huge mess the average party I'd say is 3-6 people and $260 would be fair after that I'd add 30-40 per person that's my opinion.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Mattress covers and a couple of people with flexible schedules to clean

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the double post. We also charge a cleaning fee.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
put a limit on the number of people can be on site, Its a known fact that around dvl certain people rent a verbo then the yard fills with tents, and the house is wall to wall people.

Especially when the white bass are biting. Hope there is lots of parking for all those Toyota's...

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that price per night cause $260 for 11 people is damn cheap. You might want to do a per person rate I would 11 people is big party and a huge mess the average party I'd say is 3-6 people and $260 would be fair after that I'd add 30-40 per person that's my opinion.

Based on comparables, I’d say your price is about right. Sure, you might be under priced for a group of 10 but since there isn’t a pricing option based on number of people, I think you’re about right. Also, you want to encourage reservations so you can get some good reviews which will lead to more reservations. Can always raise your rate if you are booking up.

PS - I didn’t mean to reply to Cooters post, my iPad helped me there.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Large deposit because your going to have a shit show every once in awhile. LB

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Geee,sure is a nice house...almost to nice to rent out,how many shitter's?,6,8 10 drunk guyz will be pissing all over the yard,then stink the place up after morning coffee break... so a outside port-a-potty for a couple months,weekend warriors cheap beer,greasy burgers/brats will have a few guyz with the trots is in order,stock the house up with ass wipe,paper towels or tell your renters to be perpared ,bring they're own.

fish /game cleaning table in the garage,agree with KDM about BIG ASS dumpster along the side of the garage is a must....,no game cleaning allowed in the house,I always cleaned my fish in motel rooms bath tubs,stinky mess,so post rule signs where needed,pull the fuse/breaker for garbage desposal,just asking for trouble letting ppl use it,gabbage bags through out the kitchen and dinning area,maybe a few t.v trays in the living room area ....vinyl furniture is a plus with a bunch of unruly don't give a shit non rez folks.

Such a nice garage,nice enough to put a couple extra roll-outs in there...

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would require them to clean fish at one of the cleaning stations. That's what they are provided for (that is if some dumb asses don't break them), the one at ed's seems to be functional most of the time. I wouldn't allow them to clean fish anywhere near the house. Early season waterfowl with warm temps could also be a mess so I'd make sure to have something lined up for carcass dumping.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
agree w/ remm on the fish. even if you did allow fish to be cleaned outside, you would still need to have a place for them to take the guts from may til freeze up cause those things will stink for miles in a dumpster or can. i've allowed them to be cleaned outside at our place. but, i make them take the guts to the cleaning station. so, at that point might as well use the cleaning station.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76