Thanksgiving Dinner - Any Shake-ups?

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone straying from the traditional Thanksgiving meal this year? My wife hates turkey, so I'm going brisket this year. We typically do a turkey and a ham, but I'd rather have brisket than either of those.

Smoked a turkey a couple years ago. Ok, but still turkey. Made a turkey roulade one year (turkey breast rolled up with Italian sausage mixture), and actually got my wife to eat a little turkey that year.

Just curious what others who stray away from the bird are doing. Thought about prime rib, but extended family doesn't warrant $15/pound.:)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same thing I have made for the last 20 years after Mom passed away. Just keeping on the tradition, it may die with me or stop when I can no longer cook like she could. LB

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are breaking with tradition a bit this year. Doing a smaller smoked turkey with stuffing, spuds, etc., but I am also doing a prime rib on the Traeger this year. My hope is that we can eventually move away from turkey as we have several that don't enjoy it as much as beef.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are sticking a the traditional turkey and ham. Half the people are coming then usually but the wife doesn't care we are cooking the same amount of food ��... leftovers for days.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im contemplating doing a whole front shoulder off a deer braised down for sandies.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Including us, we are having 43 people at our house for Thanksgiving. Turkey, Ham, homemade stuffing, homemade pies, the works.

After they all leave, I'm going to lay on the floor in the garage and just snooze.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Including us, we are having 43 people at our house for Thanksgiving. Turkey, Ham, homemade stuffing, homemade pies, the works.

After they all leave, I'm going to lay on the floor in the garage and just snooze.

that's too many people. feel free to escape to my house.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
43 people…gives you something to be thankful for when they all take off.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are a loose cannon every year. We don't like doing the traditional thing for just about any holiday. We wanted to go camping for Thanksgiving this year but that didn't work out. So we are staying home Thursday and having deer roast and pheasant if we can manage to get one or two in time. We don't have a big family here so we don't have to cook a ton. Should be fun.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do things different every year. We do a drawing with my wife and kids where we put paper in a hat and each draw put two. We have 2 mains, 2 sides, 2 apps and 2 desserts. Then you decide and make whatever you want to for what you draw. This year I got an app and a dessert so a couple flavors of smoked cream cheese for an app and cheese cake bars with a couple of sauces for my dessert. I think our mains will be turkey and beef Wellington. Some years there is no turkey though. It’s a fun tradition!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We're taking my brother and our priest to a really nice Thanksgiving buffet with prime rib and crab legs, among several other things. That way we have an excuse not to have to go and eat a bird at someone's house. I've never been a big fan of traditional thanksgiving food, especially turkey. Last year we just did homemade sushi with a really nice meat and cheese board at the house.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually grill rib-eyes, but this year I am going to try a NY Strip Roast instead.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazes me how one can't like turkey, now ham I fully understand.. We're having around 20 ppl and kickin it old school tradition as usual.
More excited for the leftover turkey sandwiches on homemade buns w/ jellied cranberries.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75