Ice conditions

Chipper

Any word on ice depth east north or south of steele? Found 3-5 inches in some spots , wondering if anyone has found 4-5.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s about all you will get. And maybe thinner in spots. Saw open water just yesterday south of you.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was in Cleavland area 5-7” some freshly frozen over spots. Use caution good thing is not much snow and not many people out yet

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 6.20.14 PM.jpg

Apparently the ice up at Audubon isn't quite ready. Good luck explaining to your insurance guy that you are just a dumba$$. :;:smokin

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Supposedly happened at the Nelson bay access. I was there Saturday and it was 9" where I was and wouldn't have gained any ice by Tuesday when I believe this happened.

Not sure how anyone could think it was ready for a truck, there wasn't even an atv on it Saturday.

Last edited:

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting. I found anywhere from 6-10" this past weekend. That appears to be a crew cab UTV?

EDIT: It was a pickup, happened at nelson bay.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20211216_171523.jpg20211216_171601.jpg

Hole is marked but just in case avoid the shoreline immediately north of the nelson bay access.

I know stuff happens but idiots sinking pickups into a national wildlife refuge could negatively impact access for the rest of us.

There was 8" on the ruler when I left Monday morning. No excuse for having a pickup out there a day or two later.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the lake I fish the ice is anywhere from 2-10. Is anyone feeling lucky. I know right now I wouldn’t be driving around any lake with anything unless you really are brave. Ice is way too variable yet. Might be safer by the end of next week.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that the north access or south access? Looks like the north one, but kind of tough to tell. There is a huge spring between the north and south access points, so never use the south access if you're planning on driving to the main lake. It does freeze over occasionally, but it will likely never have more than a few inches of ice even with the coldest temps.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that the north access or south access? Looks like the north one, but kind of tough to tell. There is a huge spring between the north and south access points, so never use the south access if you're planning on driving to the main lake. It does freeze over occasionally, but it will likely never have more than a few inches of ice even with the coldest temps.

It was the North Access and yes that South Access is a bad area and not sure who thought it was a good idea to put one there. I've seen the areas back in there open many times when the rest of the lake was fine.

- - - Updated - - -

It was the North Access and yes that South Access is a bad area and not sure who thought it was a good idea to put one there. I've seen the areas back in there open many times when the rest of the lake was fine.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am heading out for the first time of the year tomorrow. I was thinking of heading to Wentz, but now I'm leaning more toward Stober. I've never finished either one so I'm excited to try one or the other out.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am heading out for the first time of the year tomorrow. I was thinking of heading to Wentz, but now I'm leaning more toward Stober. I've never finished either one so I'm excited to try one or the other out.

Have fun - be safe man!

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I live near the middle stretch of sak. Lately, Ive been ice fishing a far back bay of sak but it hasnt been very good so today I explored two other boat ramps and ice was still too thin. Lots of open water yet too. Guess its back to Audobahn or Devils Lake.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I found ice anywhere from 9-12" where I fished on Audubon on Saturday 12/18. I didn't check thickness Sunday, but there were some pickups and wheel houses on the ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57