Bbl Cleaning/Break In

rapala_09

Honored Member
I only watched about half of the video, But I could not agree with this guy more.
I've said "Break In" procedures are hogwash for years and more damage is done by improper cleaning.
Quality rifles will shoot... Just let 'er buck.
Good post.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a Buck knife from Dad. Not anxious to grind from hunter, to fillet to scalpel.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a Buck knife from Dad. Not anxious to grind from hunter, to fillet to scalpel.

I know a fellow who bought a very expensive pocket knife as a gift for his father-in-law, and before wrapping it spent some time sharpening it perfectly on a Lansky sharpen kit. His father-in-law opened it, ran his finger over the blade, and headed out into the garage. Moments later he could hear the electric grinder chewing away years of wear off that really good knife. Even some of the very reputable copper solvents will do that to a rifle bore. I had to recrown a barrel because of that clinging drop at the bottom edge of the crown when you let it set for half an hour. Today I have given up on the strong ammonia smelling solvents, and past bore polishes and use only Wipe Out.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
On its maiden voyage, get the bbl hot enough to smell like someone’s been welding. Then it’s broken in. #$%^&>

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a fellow who bought a very expensive pocket knife as a gift for his father-in-law, and before wrapping it spent some time sharpening it perfectly on a Lansky sharpen kit. His father-in-law opened it, ran his finger over the blade, and headed out into the garage. Moments later he could hear the electric grinder chewing away years of wear off that really good knife.

Ba ha ha! That's horrifying!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Come on man, a true break in at long range must be done offhand. Most of should know that by now. Jez.....

“Long Range” and “Off Hand” = about 50yds for a WHOLE BUNCH!

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Old Stick raised some hackles back in the day on the Hide and eventually got the boot.

This was one of the very entertaining episodes of the whole story.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never broke in a rifle as never shot a new one. db

Huntin1

Established Member
Old Stick raised some hackles back in the day on the Hide and eventually got the boot.

This was one of the very entertaining episodes of the whole story.

Sometimes I think most of the stuff he posted on the Hide was to see how many people would melt down. It was entertaining. :D

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I think most of the stuff he posted on the Hide was to see how many people would melt down. It was entertaining. :D

'Stick sorta always reminded me of the Pat Garrett character from Young Guns II:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77