Puppies

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How old is too old to have my lab bred, She just turned 7. Is that too old, has never had pups. LB

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How old is too old to have my lab bred, She just turned 7. Is that too old, has never had pups. LB

not to old but vet would determine that. Have you got all genetic tests and ofa X-ray done. It is irresponsible to breed with out them not knowing if you are passing bad traits on. After having a lab with hip dysplasia I would never want to be responsible for the dog or owner to go through that suffering.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LB

I googled it and got the following responses:

lab 2.jpgbreed.JPG

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
health checks matter, you may get lucky and have a batch of heathy pups, but i remember when i started buying dogs in the early 80s getting a sound dog was a crap shoot. ofa has been huge in doing away with hip dysplasia

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rule a lot of dog guys I train/hunt with etc is about 7 yrs old...if healthy etc. Won't do later than that. As others said, spend the money and at least do hips, elbows and eic. And, as a perk...you can charge more for pups if you can give that guarantee. I had a nice litter of pups this past summer. My female is proven and tested and used a sire that has health clearances and is one of most titled dogs around. Had no issues selling pups. I also felt good knowing I put out a good healthy product.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Please don’t breed her if you haven’t had her hips checked, nothing more devastating for a family than to have a new pup that has issues and you have to choose between putting it down or paying thousands to get it surgery and it still is never able to hunt or live normally again.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yesterday morning I was not awake enough and had a brain fart, will be the first to admit that. Just had that want another dog thing and it too will pass but its a long way to spring. Thanks for all the input. LB

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was supposed to have a female black lab in september, my breeder hasnt been having many females looks like feb or march now.

Johnny Five

Trying not to start a new thread, so just a separate question about puppies/dogs.

Currently dogless for the 1st time in about 18 years. We've always had females...either GSP or GWH dogs. Looking to get 2 puppies and start all over. Live rural so I've always believed multiple is better for companionship.

Anyway, have narrowed down some options. Is it best to stay away from siblings? Trying to figure out if I take 2 sisters from one litter....grab one male (never had a male before) and one female from same litter...or 2 females from separate litters, or one male and one female from separate litters.

Basically, trying to decide if getting siblings is a good or bad idea as we've never had experience with that. Perhaps a dumb question...just confused on what to do and any help with the sibling question would be great.

And maybe one puppy now and one a year from now is the best idea...

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and no, so many reasons I was told, talk to your breeder and how and what you really want to do with them. Have some friends do one male one female was best. Big issue is what traits dogs get from kennel the bad issues, think they call it litter syndrome if I rememeber. If you want to breed later you know that part.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying not to start a new thread, so just a separate question about puppies/dogs.

Currently dogless for the 1st time in about 18 years. We've always had females...either GSP or GWH dogs. Looking to get 2 puppies and start all over. Live rural so I've always believed multiple is better for companionship.

Anyway, have narrowed down some options. Is it best to stay away from siblings? Trying to figure out if I take 2 sisters from one litter....grab one male (never had a male before) and one female from same litter...or 2 females from separate litters, or one male and one female from separate litters.

Basically, trying to decide if getting siblings is a good or bad idea as we've never had experience with that. Perhaps a dumb question...just confused on what to do and any help with the sibling question would be great.

And maybe one puppy now and one a year from now is the best idea...
No good breeder will sell you two puppies out of the same litter. Get one dog and then get another unless all you have is time to train the dogs. The companionship thing is a human trait we put on dogs and is not true. It will cause a bigger problem than it is worth. M v F is more personal choice i dont want to deal with heat cycles so i have always had males. I have a friend in Bismark who has a really nice GWP she runs him in a bunch of different orgs and Silas is a stud. There seems to be a good group of people up there running versatile dogs.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would suggest getting 1 dog and having it for 2-3 years before adding a 2nd. lots of reasons for my thinking and kind of short on time. and fwiw, i would get females and fix em as soon as a vet will do it. so, depending on the breed, as early as 6 months. i will absolutely never own a male dog again. stupid fuckers pissing on everything in site despite the fact i have had them fixed early. don't even get me started on unfixed males...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would suggest getting 1 dog and having it for 2-3 years before adding a 2nd. lots of reasons for my thinking and kind of short on time. and fwiw, i would get females and fix em as soon as a vet will do it. so, depending on the breed, as early as 6 months. i will absolutely never own a male dog again. stupid fuckers pissing on everything in site despite the fact i have had them fixed early. don't even get me started on unfixed males...
Dont do it on any sporting breed before 2 years old then they are fully developed. My male dog is in the house all the time and never pisses on any thing. Even out side he has learned what is off limits tires on vehicles are a no go and any thing close to the house. All three of my dogs never had the piss all over problem as early and often they got taught. My first dog i neutered to early and he had problems with joints as he aged and it was caused from not letting him finish growing.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get 1 shorthair. 1 shorthair can = 5 other dogs

Females -- Yes i agree

Johnny Five

Awesome. Thank you for the respectful replies. Sounds like one is the way to go and bring on the second 2-3 years down the road.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
research the personality traits of male vs female dogs before you decide on one vs the other... They are significant.

Male and female dogs have different personality traits123.Personality differences between male and female dogs include123:
  • Male dogs tend to be more dominant, territorial, independent, active, playful, and aggressive.
  • Female dogs tend to be easier to train and housebreak.
  • The personality differences can most clearly be seen between females and intact (non-neutered) males.
  • Females mature faster.
  • Male dogs exhibit more sex-related behavior.
  • Male dogs are scent-oriented while females are vision-oriented.
  • Males are more aggressive but also more forgiving than females.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
research the personality traits of male vs female dogs before you decide on one vs the other... They are significant.

Male and female dogs have different personality traits123.Personality differences between male and female dogs include123:
  • Male dogs tend to be more dominant, territorial, independent, active, playful, and aggressive.
  • The personality differences can most clearly be seen between females and intact (non-neutered) males.
  • Females mature faster.
Keep this info from the general population of genuine females. :)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

• Females mature faster.
Only thing i can agree with is males want to hump more and females mature faster if we are talking about being specific to labs. With that there is enough info that you can pick traits out of dogs from generations ago. Fc black water ruddy is a great great grandpa to my dog and a guy who ran him seen my dog run picked out the same stuff rudy did and he gets in his feelings the same way when you correct him to much.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever did an inquiry into a hybrid mix lab/gsp? I have family that raised and hunted with gsp for years and thier younger brother brought home a hybrid lab/gsp and said it was a game changer as far as the overall ability of the dog. You get the endless energy of the gsp but get the mellow demeanor of the lab. Lots of good information out there about this hybrid dog and the benefits to owning one.
Before I found Wilson I thought about getting a hybrid mix the puppy picture you would have a hard time telling that they were hybrid then a regular chocolate lab by looks alone.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever did an inquiry into a hybrid mix lab/gsp? I have family that raised and hunted with gsp for years and thier younger brother brought home a hybrid lab/gsp and said it was a game changer as far as the overall ability of the dog. You get the endless energy of the gsp but get the mellow demeanor of the lab. Lots of good information out there about this hybrid dog and the benefits to owning one.
Before I found Wilson I thought about getting a hybrid mix the puppy picture you would have a hard time telling that they were hybrid then a regular chocolate lab by looks alone.
Problem is you end up with problems like the silver labs. Un for seen genetic defects. If thats what i wanted they have dogs like drahts or puddle pointers who have proven track records. Even at that there is plenty of info on purebred lines you can get what you want by going through good breeders. I am not a fan of mixing dogs just because it sounds like a good idea thats why we have doodles that idiots pay way to much for

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77