Utv usage

Benoso

Quick question....is it required to have utv registered for use on ice? Coming from out of state and not a requirement in home state if only used on ice.

Thank you

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes.

ND Century Code:

39-29-01. Definitions.As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Dealer" means any person engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchangingoff-highway vehicles or who advertises, or holds out to the public as engaged in thebuying, selling, or exchanging of off-highway vehicles, or who engages in the buying ofoff-highway vehicles for resale.
2. "Off-highway vehicle" means any motorized vehicle not designed for use on a highwayand capable of cross-country travel on land, snow, ice, marsh, swampland, or othernatural terrain. The term includes a motorized vehicle converted to operate on snow.The term does not include an electric bicycle. An off-highway vehicle must beclassified into one of the following categories:

a. Class I off-highway vehicle is a vehicle that does not qualify as road capableunder chapters 39-21 and 39-27, has a seat or a saddle designed to be straddledby the operator, and has handlebars for steering control of two wheels.

b. Class II off-highway vehicle is fifty inches [1270.00 millimeters] or less in width,weighs one thousand two hundred pounds [544.31 kilograms] or less, and travelson three or more nonhighway tires; or is sixty-five inches [1651 millimeters] orless in width, weighs two thousand pounds [907.19 kilograms] or less, and travelson four or more nonhighway tires.

c. Class III off-highway vehicle weighs less than eight thousand pounds[3628.74 kilograms]; travels on skis, runners, tracks, or four or more tires; has aseat; has a wheel, handlebars, or t steering for steering control; and is designatedfor or capable of cross-country on or over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh,swampland, or other natural terrain, but does not include a vehicle registered bythe department under chapter 39-04 or 39-24.

3. "Operate" means to ride in or on and control the operation of an off-highway vehicle.

4. "Operator" means an individual who operates or is in actual physical control of anoff-highway vehicle.

5. "Owner" means a person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to anoff-highway vehicle and entitled to its use or possession.

6. "Register" means the act of assigning a registration number to an off-highway vehicle.39-29-01.1. Safety fee - Imposition - Collection by dealer - Payment to department -Use of fee.Upon the sale of a new or used off-highway vehicle, a dealer shall collect a five dollar safetyfee from the buyer. By the end of each calendar quarter, the dealer shall file a report with theparks and recreation department which discloses the number of off-highway vehicles sold theprevious months and includes the fees collected from the buyer. Fees imposed under thissection must be deposited in the off-highway vehicle fund established under section 39-29-05.The fees may be used only by the parks and recreation department and only for off-highwayvehicle safety education and promotion. The parks and recreation department shall report to thedirector within thirty days of the end of each calendar quarter the motor-powered recreationalvehicle dealers that submitted a safety fee report and the number of vehicles sold, and shallidentify every dealer not collecting or transmitting the safety fee.

39-29-02. Off-highway vehicle registration.Except as provided in this chapter, an individual may not operate an off-highway vehicleunless it has been registered under this chapter.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a $500/day administrative fee as well if you're coming from WI.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd always wondered that also if we had to. So if you drive it on your own land you don't need to but if you drive it anywhere else you do. Seems like a money grab but i guess I will to avoid a ticket. That being said I've been out ice fishing for quite a number of years and never gotten checked while with my utv or atv.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm I drive my 4-Wheeler all over. Streets, country, river bottom....never been licensed...Pretty sure I'm ok....if not oh well good luck catching me.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdie,

I am sure this isn't much of a shock to you, but some things are different off reservation.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ATV and SxS are suppose to be licensed when used on any public property. That includes hwys, gravel roads, ice fishing, (same as boats, jet skiis, etc), I have been told from a previous Game Warden.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdie,

I am sure this isn't much of a shock to you, but some things are different off reservation.

Hmmm I'm white so the state has jurisdiction over me, and I'm on CORPS land when on the ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67