So I bought some land...

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a dibble bar (jim gem kbc bar) to plant most of my conservation grade replant trees. works pretty good and goes fast if you have someone to put the tree in the hole. a lot slower if you have to do everything yourself. I also use a 3" auger in the cordless drill for some of the trees just depends on the roots and soil. I will be doing 250 or so trees this weekend and another 100+ the weekend after probably.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked an old timer who had planted thousands of evergreens by hand in the 40s and 50s how he got his rows so straight. The question landed me the best trick I know when planting trees and garden. Put a marker at the far end of the row and have a long rod, (I use a nice light bamboo pole) put marks on it for the tree spacings. plant a tree and line up your rod from that tree and aim at the jug. It's as easy as aiming a 22. If you have measured and marked out tree rows before and then try this , you will smile .

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted 280 trees by hand over the weekend. This guy works really well for planting those small bare root trees. I'm glad a brought it with.
garden claw.png

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh... pretty good. I bought a water tank for the back of my truck and have done a pretty good job keeping the new trees watered. I've only lost a few.
I've also had to learn how to fence. I grew up a pig and crop farmer, so it's new to me. I have a new-found respect for ranchers, and fences in general. It's hard work, and tedious to do by yourself. Here's my first ever brace post and wire gate. Solo, and with only hand tools, it took hours.
20220626_144150.jpg

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone that has ever fenced, had to learn how to do it. You did well and looks good.
I would like to know in my lifetime, how many miles of fence we built and maintained. It would surprise one I bet.
My Dad was a stickler for a straight fence and when driving thoughout the country we would look at others fences they built. I still point it out to my bride and kids when the kids are with. Look at that crooked fence or it looks like a snake crawling.
Others will say it is good enough if it keeps the cattle in.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone that has ever fenced, had to learn how to do it. You did well and looks good.
I would like to know in my lifetime, how many miles of fence we built and maintained. It would surprise one I bet.
My Dad was a stickler for a straight fence and when driving thoughout the country we would look at others fences they built. I still point it out to my bride and kids when the kids are with. Look at that crooked fence or it looks like a snake crawling.
Others will say it is good enough if it keeps the cattle in.
There is more grass is a crooked fence!!!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
How's things going down there?
Any updates?
I bought my first piece of farm machinery. A 7' rotary mower to mow between my tree rows. The previous owner had neglected it for few years, and the grass and weeds (mostly weeds) were taller than the trees. I got it hacked down (and burnt up the slip clutch doing it, so there's another project), and then sprayed it a few weeks ago. It looks 100x better already, but it will take a few more mow and spray cycles to get rid of all the weeds. Once the trees are bigger, I'll let the grass grow, and deer and pheasants will abound (maybe).
20220813_154529.jpg

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to the young Lad and for getting the first kill on family land!
Do you have fabric between the trees?
The trees look good in your pictures.
Nice job with the mower. Those darn weeds will come forever as tons of seeds in the ground. That is until the grass gets thick enough to choke out the weeds.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76