2022: Let's Do Better Guns NOT New Rds

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The kids girlfriend was going coyote hunting and told him, she could not find .204, so he went to my gunroom, and raided me!

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone should show this thread to the scheels gun manager in Bismarck. Nothing but tactical junk.

I want to see some sporting guns, in blue (or even matte!) and walnut. The gun manufacturers still produce those guns. Go to their websites and look at models. There is good stuff, but most retailers are not bringing it on the shelf. They will only order you one if you request it, usually at full msrp.

When you can't find a Winchester Mod 70 in wood, or a Rem 700 bdl, cdl in wood, or a shelf full of 870's in various guages and stocks, there is a problem.

Its really frustrating to look at whats available in europe, from say browning, and we can't get them here. The good old days of guns are still happening over seas but according to big gun companies american rednecks only buy cheap plastic truck guns like ruger americans, over say a nice Model 77. Speaking of, thats another gun scheels doesnt have on the shelf. Only americans.....puke. And 77's used to be considered a "cheap" gun! Ha! Profit margins on the cheapos must be very attractive.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone should show this thread to the scheels gun manager in Bismarck. Nothing but tactical junk.

I want to see some sporting guns, in blue (or even matte!) and walnut. The gun manufacturers still produce those guns. Go to their websites and look at models. There is good stuff, but most retailers are not bringing it on the shelf. They will only order you one if you request it, usually at full msrp.

When you can't find a Winchester Mod 70 in wood, or a Rem 700 bdl, cdl in wood, or a shelf full of 870's in various guages and stocks, there is a problem.

Its really frustrating to look at whats available in europe, from say browning, and we can't get them here. The good old days of guns are still happening over seas but according to big gun companies american rednecks only buy cheap plastic truck guns like ruger americans, over say a nice Model 77. Speaking of, thats another gun scheels doesnt have on the shelf. Only americans.....puke. And 77's used to be considered a "cheap" gun! Ha! Profit margins on the cheapos must be very attractive.

Just go to a smith and build what you want.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Well, Winchester M70's aren't made in the USA anymore. Remington is bankrupt, the new group of investors "Remarms" is in the process of moving out of NY and into GA then re-introducing whatever their product line is going to have. Ruger no longer produces a "77" except for the 77/17, 77/22, 77/357, and 77/44. Ruger's "new" bolt action is the Hawkeye.

So, while you might be disappointed to not see these legacy firearms available, none of them exist as they were even say 10 years ago.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know it's personal preference but I just can't understand the whole wood stock thing.

MAYBE on a safe queen, but a working rifle? Nope.

I'm not talking a POS Tupperware synthetic either. McMillian or die. (to be fair there are some others I can't dislike)

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be happy with ammo prices and availability like we had two years ago rather than getting new calibers you have to roll your own ammo for.

Doesn't help when guys like this keep buying more. Good for him to donate a few boxes but I seriously don't understand it.
20211207_161814.jpg

- Can't figure out how to make the image bigger...

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, Winchester M70's aren't made in the USA anymore. Remington is bankrupt, the new group of investors "Remarms" is in the process of moving out of NY and into GA then re-introducing whatever their product line is going to have. Ruger no longer produces a "77" except for the 77/17, 77/22, 77/357, and 77/44. Ruger's "new" bolt action is the Hawkeye.

So, while you might be disappointed to not see these legacy firearms available, none of them exist as they were even say 10 years ago.
I understand your angle but I still disagree. They have no problem getting winchester sx4's and sxp's with are made in portugal now. And the current M70 is still a quality built gun with a wide range of offerings. The ruger comment is over a technicallity. The Hawkeye is and has been for a number of the years the current 77 iteration, with no major differences than mark II's or the older tang safety models. The Rem 700 will be born again.

I guess what I'm getting as is that i'd like to see more sporting gun options, in traditional offerings. Tactical picatinny on lever actions? give me a break....I want more rifles, shotguns, and clays guns. Wood has served gun owners just fine over the past 500 yrs. Plastic just doesnt do it for some people and thats fine. I have them, shotguns and rifles..but i also appreciate a nice winchester super grade.:;:huh

If guys like me (and i'm a millenial, not a baby boomer) are so rare that they can't stock traditional "legacy" guns, i guess that says alot about the next generation of gun owners!

I"ll just continue to pick up belgian brownings and pre 64 winchesters.

PS. I do own ar's and many semi auto pistols and you name it. I like them all! I just want to see "THEM ALL" at a sporting goods store near you, more often than I have been. It always seems picked over with odd offerings.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand your angle but I still disagree. They have no problem getting winchester sx4's and sxp's with are made in portugal now. And the current M70 is still a quality built gun with a wide range of offerings. The ruger comment is over a technicallity. The Hawkeye is and has been for a number of the years the current 77 iteration, with no major differences than mark II's or the older tang safety models. The Rem 700 will be born again.

That niche is currently being filled by Browning X-Bolt's and Cooper. The last big push of inventoried wood-stocked M70's were the Tiger Maple stocked Super Grades. Every manufacturer could use a re-set regarding wood-stock dimensions as well. Pick the combs up about 1/2" minimum on every rifle that comes without open sights. 50+MM bells and 30+MM tubes are here to stay, let's get the stocks mated to that idea for a proper cheek-weld please.

If Winchester really wants to get back into the market of selling M70's, they'd do well to go back to their original "open" trigger design to get the die-hards back on board. Also, they'd do well to slim down the Fwt stocks to their original dimensions. The grip and fore-end both got "chunky" post-'08. As it is, most "Winchester guys" that I know won't buy nor recommend a new "post-'08" production rifle over buying a used New Haven built rifle and having it re-stocked/re-barreled per the owner's whim.

For a "using" rifle, I'll take SS and quality Syn every time over bluing and gorgeous wood strictly from a reliability/stability/accuracy standpoint. On a shotgun for me, the prettier the wood, the better as I am 99.99999999% an upland hunter. I can see the appeal of dipped camo, matte SS, and Syn stocks for a waterfowl centric hunter.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I agree except for 870’s, seriously don’t know the reason to buy a pump shotgun where there are many semi auto guns out there in the same price range. 870’s are junk in my opinion except for the wing masters. I’ll probably never use my pump ever again. Plus Remington just started their gun production up from it being shutdown during their bankruptcy and 870’s were the first to be produced.

Lots of maple stock browning and Winchester guns were at the shot show but no local gun shops got any in. I’m tired of all these full shelves of junk guns

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree except for 870’s, seriously don’t know the reason to buy a pump shotgun where there are many semi auto guns out there in the same price range. 870’s are junk in my opinion except for the wing masters. I’ll probably never use my pump ever again. Plus Remington just started their gun production up from it being shutdown during their bankruptcy and 870’s were the first to be produced.

Lots of maple stock browning and Winchester guns were at the shot show but no local gun shops got any in. I’m tired of all these full shelves of junk guns

So save your self the trouble go to a gun smith and build one exactly to what you want. Chad Dixon at LRI has built some incredible wood stocked guns that makes any production gun look like a fence post.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy has a storage shed full of ammo and has helped a couple dozen new shooters get some ammo. He seems like more of the problem than any good he is doing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess what I'm getting as is that i'd like to see more sporting gun options, in traditional offerings. Tactical picatinny on lever actions? give me a break....I want more rifles, shotguns, and clays guns. Wood has served gun owners just fine over the past 500 yrs. Plastic just doesnt do it for some people and thats fine. I have them, shotguns and rifles..but i also appreciate a nice winchester super grade.

Tables and tables full of just what you asked for @ the Fargo Gun Show yesterday but very very few of them actually being bought. Some of them were overpriced, but there were lots of guns priced "fairly" and a few "gems" for the asking price on the tag.

Pretty shotguns are going to continue to share shelf space for decades to come. Rifles however are going to continue to succumb to the era ushered in by the LRF where accuracy and consistency trumps any/all aesthetics.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member

Scheels in grand forks only carries 6.5 creedmore for new rifles. Last time I was the I don’t know of i seen ten rifles that where not. Sadly I have stopped looking at rifles there

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my favorite quote from Chuck Hawks concerning the .41 Rem Mag: "The need to fill the gap between the .357 and .44 Magnum was lost on everyone except ammunition manufacturers."

I can handle "full-house" 158's from a 6" or longer full-underlug 357Mag. I can't handle full-house 240's from a 44-mag. I yank the trigger as I'm turning my head and dipping the muzzle half-way to China.

I've never 41'd but it might be a doable compromise.

Picture the interrupted golf swing as early anticipation of recoil and dipping the muzzle while squeezing the trigger. That golf swing is "me" trying to shoot a handgun.

I WISH it were sarcasm or "not as bad as that", but, it is as bad as that.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/wood-stock-deer-hunting-rifles/

Well isnt this article timely. I'll admit, slight confirmation bias. I understand how we got where we are today, but dont discount peoples personal preference/nostalgia for wood rifles. Its still significant in the market.

It's not that there won't be wood stocked rifles. It's that they'll either be ~$400 birch-stocked options or $1K + if you want Walnut. A "smart" company would determine how thick they wanted their 'glass bedding to be, CNC machine the wood in a Manner that would allow for a uniform thickness, pack areas of the stock AND bbl'd action they didn't want bedded full of molding clay, and individually bed each rifle. Drop some pillars into the screw-holes while you're at it. Manufacturers have to make Wood perform as well as Synthetics or wood will go away on all but the exotic/eclectic rifles.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76