Ivory Bill Woodpecker

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks a lot like a epilated wood pecker we have in nd

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I thought too. You have to look close to see the difference .

wood pecker 1.JPG

woodpecker 2.JPG

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone have these show up at the feeder ? Another bird scared this guy about a year ago and he flew into the picture window. They are huge, I thought he was going to break the window. He hasn't been back since but I still see him flying around and hear it, sounds like a tommy gun when he pecks wood. They seem to peck on what ever makes the most noise , Power poles and tin buildings. Fun to see them around.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen a pileated woodpecker since I lived if Grand Forks, but we have lots of downy woodpeckers around Bismarck/Mandan. They ratatat-tat on everything from wood siding to metal surfaces. I guess it's their mating call. Maybe the pileated woodpeckers are doing the same if they are beating on metal?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pileated wood pecker working on standing dead elm trees along a trail i walk pretty much twice a day he can do allot of damage in a day. getting grubs out of the trees.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a pileated wood pecker working on standing dead elm trees along a trail i walk pretty much twice a day he can do allot of damage in a day. getting grubs out of the trees.

Agreed,I've got a huge dead silver maple tree limb these pileated work on every summer...they sure tear shit up...jack-hammer with wings.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77