How low did you go?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife complained that it was cool in the bathroom after her shower this morning. I told her to step out the back door naked sence we live in the sticks and then the house will not feel so bad. That did not fly for shit. Temp was at -29 at 6:30 this morning. Might go down more when the sun comes up and why is that? LB

I have noticed that the temp does often dip right after sunrise. I know the sun initially doesn't have enough energy to stop the drop that's been occurring all night - but I swear there's often an increase in the drop right after sunset, even though the temp had sat at the same temp for the couple hours prior to sunrise.

Strange. Maybe the cloud cover clears a little more often just at sunrise - and that briefly causes radiational cooling to accelerate?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We still have a nightmare on our hands. Sitting at -9 at my house and gusts are 80mph+ and not letting up. Not even sure what the wind chill is, but I had to run some things down in the yard and it was painful to say the least. Lots of damage, 20,000 people without power. I even saw that the KFC just down the road had it's roof blown completely off. Been at it for about 48 hours and advisory has been extended to 6PM. In and out of power all weekend. Ready for this trash to be done. Supposed to drive to town this afternoon to fly the Bethel for Ox tags, I'll be depressed if I can't make it!

Wow that sucks wj....my first year living /working in AK...Only year I spent the entire winter in that frozen tundra,early 80's in Wasilla,-50+,real temp,so cold the air turned blue,never again,working on the slope linked all my work load back to back weeks rather than one on one week off,got the hell out of AK by november ,then spent the winter in western ski resorts until april and started all over.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are the times when you realize what we absolutey take for granted (when said thing works anyway.) The fawk-me shenanigans have been verry trying and testy thus far..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We still have a nightmare on our hands. Sitting at -9 at my house and gusts are 80mph+ and not letting up. Not even sure what the wind chill is, but I had to run some things down in the yard and it was painful to say the least. Lots of damage, 20,000 people without power. I even saw that the KFC just down the road had it's roof blown completely off. Been at it for about 48 hours and advisory has been extended to 6PM. In and out of power all weekend. Ready for this trash to be done. Supposed to drive to town this afternoon to fly the Bethel for Ox tags, I'll be depressed if I can't make it!

Holy crap!!!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wea...se-chaos-and-destruction-in-matanuska-valley/

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't too bad here in western ND, nothing us locals cant handle.. Did see some Wyoming plates with guys bundled up like the kid from Christmas story, what a weak bunch of Americans from that state.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have noticed that the temp does often dip right after sunrise. I know the sun initially doesn't have enough energy to stop the drop that's been occurring all night - but I swear there's often an increase in the drop right after sunset, even though the temp had sat at the same temp for the couple hours prior to sunrise.

Strange. Maybe the cloud cover clears a little more often just at sunrise - and that briefly causes radiational cooling to accelerate?

I've noticed this while afield as well. Don't know the reason for it but the sun peaking out seems to bring more cold before the warmth. Ive thought maybe the air "flips" kind of like how a lake can?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've noticed this while afield as well. Don't know the reason for it but the sun peaking out seems to bring more cold before the warmth. Ive thought maybe the air "flips" kind of like how a lake can?

sunrise warms the air, making it rise and letting the cold air to flow in and replace it.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't too bad here in western ND, nothing us locals cant handle.. Did see some Wyoming plates with guys bundled up like the kid from Christmas story, what a weak bunch of Americans from that state.
Surgical masks to boot?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmmm... - where's that cold air been waiting? aloft?

i believe the theory is the unheated cold air to the west of the point that the sunrise is currently heating, like a dynamic constant flow when on a flat plain. disclosure, more big words than I am allowed.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am just lucky to be able to log in here , so thank you espringers. LB

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is amazing how each "area" of the country is setup for surviving their normal weather, but when things go bad it gets really bad. That AK situation looks terrible, winds that high for that long are tough on anyone and anything. Texas last year in that cold spell was a mess. And even us, when it gets really cold, even what we are used to, the challenges start to stack up. Much as I like good ice and some snow to recreate on, I am always somber to the fact that lots of folks are struggling really hard during these cold, cold times. Hope it lets up soon, the next week looks to be far more pleasant. A short respite at least.

Oh, and it sucks trying to fix stuff in the cold. Terrible, no matter what it is.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do all yourselves a favor and keep this in mind to (possibly) save some money from an HVAC company dude like me:

1) Check your exhaust/intake vents. You would NOT believe how many folks call with furnaces/boilers out and it's because there's a 4' drift covering their vents.

2) Same goes for your gas meter. Make sure those stay free and clear of snow

3) Change or g-damn air filters! And if you have pets or have recently renovated your home and there's sheetrock dust all over, change them again! Plugged filters can cause your furnace to trip high limit.

4) Tstat batteries. Change them.

5) In a pinch, turn your furnace off/on to reset it. If you can't find the switch, turn the breaker off/on.

After all this your furnace doesn't work, call your local HVAC repair dude.

Stay warm!!

- - - Updated - - -

Adendum:

6) Fuel oil and propane. Holy moly guys, the number of people calling in a panic only to find out they are OUT OF FUEL is unreal.

7) If you're in the boonies, it pays to have some sort of backup heat source. Whether that's electric plenum heater, electric baseboard, gas fireplace, etc. In-town folks usually are fine for a bit, but it can take days for one of us to get to your home, especially with shit roads and full schedules. Save some stress and invest in something to keep things from freezing solid if your main heat source takes a dump.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
so i have a few propane furnaces going in nd this winter, on my main house my propane regulator will freeze up at 32 below hit it with a blow dryer for few minutes and furnae will start, the other 3 regulators are fine. if i wrap a coat over it will work fine. the regulator on my shop in the same yard never has a problem. I keep a spare exhaust fan on hand as this is the biggest problem i have had with the new high efficiency propane furnaces

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These new furnaces need to be shoved up the designer's ass, a glow bar on hand isn't a bad idea either

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was -18 when I left my house at 5:30. Hit -26 when I got to tower city. -24 in fargo. Was 26 by the time I hit kansas city. I pray for further rise as I head closer and closer to the gulf.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75