Portable ice shack question

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have an eskimo hub. Not insulated but huge! I really like it but caught the zipper with my auger. Prob cost more to fix than it's worth. Am going to look at two man portables. Thinking used if can find a good one?? What are some things to look for? Sizes? I'm tall so assuming most will be too short. Just looking for something clean, easy to use, decent room, easy to pick up/move around. Any thoughts? thanks

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything decent size will be heavy. Probably better off getting another hub that’s insulated. I’m usually alone so I have an Otter Cottage. Basically an oversized one man. Could squeeze in two if I added another seat. Your no standing in the things. Just sitting mostly so I wouldn’t worry too much about head room. I know the Otters are very well built. Have heard mixed reviews about the new Clams.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an Otter Lodge here on NDA in the classifieds. That would be a nice size.

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah that's my concern too. I need a little size but that adds weight and I fish alone most of time too. May be hard to load up in pickup? Maybe sticking with hub is right idea. Plus they're a lot cheaper. Any recommendations on larger insulated ones?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Eskimo 949i. Decent room for 2, lotsa room for 1. Easy to handle by my old self too.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not really up on the hubs. The eskimos seem to be real nice. I know you don’t want to hear it but you probably need a smaller sled style for just you and a hub when you have company. If not maybe just get a medium sized hub like suggested above.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a otter hub and clam yukon. Yukon works great when you walk out. Otter hub vs others -- pros is its light inside; dont need a light even when the sun goes down. Cons - on the hubs is how you have to get into them.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve had two man insulated and hub! I now have a clam keni pro thermal one man!
Love it! Left the seat out and corner shelf out for myself I use a bucket with a pad to sit on room for everything you need plus the older you get it’s easier to pull and load! I put some led light bars in from Menards so have plenty of light run off a small 12 volt battery! Going to attach some skis on lifts (smitty sled) for the snow sometime in the future. No poles to extend you just flip and your fishing.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been fishing outof "fish traps" since the early 90's,one man at first then upgraded to the two man even tho I fish solo 90% of the time,I like the extra room,the first two man I wore holes in the sled over time pulling it across the ice,wasn't smart enough to add runner's under neath the sled,the second two man trap was larger,heavier,almost a pain in the ass for one guy,loading it in the truck,finally sold it last year,today been eye balling the new clam thermal 1.5 man clam,plenty of room for my big ass and fishing gear,perfect if you like traveling lite,small heater,1lb propane cylinder,camper lantern (small) makes mobil ice fishing a breeze.

I can see the advantage to ppl using hubs to camp out on a spot BUT if that spot is void of fish why bother? with our electronic technology today,winter trolling is almost as good as open water trolling,gotta find the fish then have at it,sitting and waiting,hoping for the best....meh.

Last edited:

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pretty large Jason Mitchell Thermal X clam style that I love. It is pretty heavy. I have a little winch system which is slow but pulls the sled up into the pickup when I’m by myself to save my back. It’s big enough for two people, 2 holes each but I love fishing it by myself and spreading out 3 holes. I have been thinking about getting a big hub for fishing multiple people when that happens.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Run Otter Cabin, love it. Only use 1 of the seats. Pard has Jason Mitchell, bigger but heavy as hell. if carrying in truck, I use ATV ramps to load, otherwise pull onto trailer behind the atv. Hub is nice "if" your on fish. Otherwise kind of a PITA when moving taking everything out, fold down, move, set backup, move things back in. Have Clam Bigfoot, only used it 4 times since Otter.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I have an Eskimo QuickFish 3i, it is the perfect size for just me. I've fished two in there a few times and it works okay but not ideal. I've fished out of the Outbreak 450XD a few times lately and that is a great size for 2 guys, or even 3.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered an Eskimo 949i fatfish on sale for $316 free shipping. Is the same one I have that I broke my zipper but this is insulated. Mine isnt. Pretty decent deal for solid hub.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered an Eskimo 949i fatfish on sale for $316 free shipping. Is the same one I have that I broke my zipper but this is insulated. Mine isnt. Pretty decent deal for solid hub.

You will like it. A little heavier, but insulation gets rid of the frost and saves propane.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

That sounds like a pretty good price, mind sharing where you find it for that? In general I'm seeing them between $350-400.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a otter hub and clam yukon. Yukon works great when you walk out. Otter hub vs others -- pros is its light inside; dont need a light even when the sun goes down. Cons - on the hubs is how you have to get into them.

The outbreak series eskimo with the full door is a great way to go. No more fumbling through the v door like other models. Speared out of my 450 this past weekend and it was plenty dark.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sounds like a pretty good price, mind sharing where you find it for that? In general I'm seeing them between $350-400.

Ordered from L&M Fleet supply. I have never heard of this company but googled fatfish 949i and it came up. Says it just shipped this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the one I have. It is NOT insulated. One i just ordered is for same price.

- - - Updated - - -

Eskimo you will have to let us know how dark they are inside.

The one I have (which is the same as the one I just ordered but not insulated) is quite dark. As soon as sun starts getting low I need lights. Black interior.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 949 eskimo hubs are great for spearing. perfect size for 2 people and a spear hole. Nothing beats a permanent spear house but the eskimos get plenty dark

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76