Couple Rod Repair ?s

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Broke a ceramic guide insert. Not even sure if "insert" is the correct term. Net searches all lead back to replacing entire guide assembly as I get adds for replacement "rings"(?). Could anyone PLEASE tell me if these deals will pop in the "frame" like a Lego? Perhaps I haven't been asking the right question to the net as I seem to keep getting an answer of "42". I really don't want to cock around with re-wrapping a guide.

(B) I know a dumbass who "fixed" a loose tip on an IM8 All Star with "superglue". The tip immediately welded to the rod preventing any adjustment sending this sweetie to the odds & ends pile for a few years. Anyways, I thought of soaking in acetone but am afraid of dicking up the finish. My current thought is to alternate steam and dunking in boiling water to break a bond not achievable for broken glasses, wife stuff or kid's toys. I don't want the tip to warp. I can't stand a big silver turd atop a clipped rod. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Oh--(?)

That is all.

cache.php

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both?

- - - Updated - - -

Dad says butane is a bastard gas.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
To remove a superglue (cyanoacrylate) adhesion, you need CA solvent. Google is your friend here.

Basically it's a nitromethane solvent. Not sure what that will do to fiberglass or carbon fishing blanks though.

rapala_09

Honored Member
Most rod guides are some kind of metal frame with an insert that is either epoxied in or pressed in. I've done a fair number of rod repairs and in this case, most likely what I'd do is remove the broken guide and replace with a whole new one that matches and refinish it. The tip, I hate to say it, would most likely end up being cut off right behind the tube and I'd put a new one on with rod tip glue. Archery insert glue works as well.

I've found that the more fucking around you do with the tip (Pulling, heat, twisting, etc?) the more fragile they become and either I break them or they end up broken in very short order due to???? Blank fatigue? I guess I'm not sure why. That's just been my experience.

It doesn't sound like thats what you wanted to hear but that is my thoughts on it. Good luck!

Edit: I've never actually heard of anyone just replacing the insert on a rod guide. Maybe I'm ignorant to a much easier method out there.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would just have the guide replaced. If you want it done you can pm me. I’ve fixed some rods for others on here.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Replace the guide. I'd stay away from acetone as it'll likely mess with the finish and structural integrity. A heat gun may work. If it were me, I'd take the super glue put some on a dowel and practice on that before trying a heat gun, boiling, etc... You need to be careful when warming the blank as that can warp the rod.

Cutting right below the tip top might be the best. To do this, use a Dremel cutting wheel, but wrap the area being cut in masking tape. That'll prevent the blank from fraying while being cut.

When replacing the tip, don't use hot melt glue. That won't hold in the heat of the summer. Use a 5 minute rod epoxy. It'll give you a little bit of time to set the guide properly and if need be, a heat gun will loosen the glue, but it'll hold in the summer.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I'm going to Star Trek this. Those rings didn't miracle themselves in the frames. I plan to be persistent and gentle with the tip. No twisting. Relatively confident of enough graphite in the blank to withstand reasonable heat. Will keep advised. Many thanks for the comments.

That is all.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
UPDATE: The rod tip was non-issue. Noticed some play in the guide as the superglue seemed deteriorated. Dipped in boiling water then cooled under a spigot. The guide damn near fell off. Rock 'n roll.

The broken insert was more of an ordeal. I "remembered" it as a larger SOB but it revealed to be third from the tip with the wire diameter equivalent to 00 buck. The wire didn't properly frost until the can started spewing liquid. By this time I had the can wrapped in three layers of paper towel. By gentle tweaking with needle nose pliers (I'll spare description of "reaming action" coupled by expansion) the insert actually fit in the "housing" and freaking "clicked"! It looks stock!

I can't comment on the Amazon quality and durability. I can report I replaced a guide insert with canned air and needle nose pliers. I can also report I then drank beers and posted some kind of dumb shit on here last Saturday.

More Rock 'n Roll:

https://youtu.be/YDY6fzBvWtE

Bonus:

https://youtu.be/G7GERh0sQzY

Last edited:

Big C

svn - where did you find the new insert? Did you have to order it or do they have them in stock somewhere? The largest guide insert on one of my rods broke last year and interested to give this a try.

Thanks

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
svn - where did you find the new insert? Did you have to order it or do they have them in stock somewhere? The largest guide insert on one of my rods broke last year and interested to give this a try.

Thanks

I found these on Amazon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82