Anybody use these cranks before??

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an old tackle box to use for tools and these things were in it. They are Matzuo brand and have flared gills. Weird design and I've never heard of them or used them. Are they any good? If someone has used these, how deep to they run and did you like them? Thanks fellas! Stay Warm!!

DSC04370.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not familiar with
The 3 top left look similar to Reef Runners Lil Ripper (12-15')
2 bottom right ,similar to Storm Thunderstick ( 19 - 22 )'

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Northern in the spring, as long as they wiggle they will work and you will not cry if you lose one. I am warm. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Northern in the spring, as long as they wiggle they will work and you will not cry if you lose one. I am warm. LB

It's a good thing you're warm LB. Otherwise I might be forced to come down there and set your pants on fire. You know, just for your safety. (Grin)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM Thanks a lot. With friends like you who needs enemies. ::: LB

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
72740ED1-E95C-431C-A0B8-86D46185AD56.jpg

Any names like these on them? I can screenshot the info from my Precision Trolling app.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Capt. The smaller ones are kinchou minnows 7's I would guess. They are 4 inches long. The big ones are zander shad deep diver as near as I can figure, and the short fat ones are Ikari's. Those are lipless rattle baits so I guess they will go however deep you want them. Thanks again.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty sure I've seen that brand in saltwater tackle before. But they don't appear big enough for saltwater. with that I'll admit I'm no help at all.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Capt. I guess casting would put the minnow about 4 ft down. I probably wouldn't cast the deep diver. (grin)

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Matzuo makes some killer death roll hooks if I'm not mistaken. Just like a Mustad Slow Death, but much better spin on it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: The trebles sold with a lot cranks/jerks are retarded for fresh water and are sharp as a crochet needle hung with railroad spring rings. No go for me. IME the above tends to get increasingly worse with "fat" bodies and extended lips. I discovered last summer Bomber hooks are insanely sharp on their jerkbaits. As good or better than Reef Runner (which I only use for straight retrieves) I'll always be a Rapala man replacing shitty hooks.

Hook/ring replacements are good winter beer fun in the presence of proper tools (and long fingernails), good tunes and the absence of women.

https://youtu.be/GAwlj9wqFnI

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a few of the kinchou minnows, and for my shorefishing, they run a tad deep. I end up swapping them out for something shallower.

The action seems right, but..

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a few of the kinchou minnows, and for my shorefishing, they run a tad deep. I end up swapping them out for something shallower.

The action seems right, but..

Thanks JayKay. That's the kind of info I was looking for. At least now I have an idea of where they might work and if they would be of use to me. Thanks again!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks JayKay. That's the kind of info I was looking for. At least now I have an idea of where they might work and if they would be of use to me. Thanks again!

To add to this, I find that Husky Jerks, unless they're smaller ones, run a bit deep too. I'm usually fishing in current, and between 5 and 0 ft. Toss in a log, or a few rocks, and cranking can get expensive if one isn't purty shallow. Most of my fishing is after dark though, so 6 to 12 inches deep, cranking against current, works just fine.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add to this, I find that Husky Jerks, unless they're smaller ones, run a bit deep too. I'm usually fishing in current, and between 5 and 0 ft. Toss in a log, or a few rocks, and cranking can get expensive if one isn't purty shallow. Most of my fishing is after dark though, so 6 to 12 inches deep, cranking against current, works just fine.

Steady crank a few feet then retrieve like you're fishing a jig. If you feel you're going too shallow, drop tip and repeat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74