Valley City area ice conditions

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have some ice condition reports from the Valley City area? Hobart, Eckelson, Ashtabula, Moon, etc.
How thick is the ice? How much snow and or water/slush on it? Plowed trails? Thanks for any info!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also curious how much slush folks are seeing....I have a "go to" lake that I prefer but am thinking about venturing out to some other sloughs and don't want to waste drive time if not needed.

I'll probably go check it out myself anyways lol...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slush under the snow. 8-12 inches of ice. A real bitch to get around regardless of where you want to fish. Snowmobiles, tracked rigs, or walking. Fish to be had, but a lot of effort to get at'em. Sorry about being a debbie downer, but that's what I've heard and seen. Be Safe out there.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slush under the snow. 8-12 inches of ice. A real bitch to get around regardless of where you want to fish. Snowmobiles, tracked rigs, or walking. Fish to be had, but a lot of effort to get at'em. Sorry about being a debbie downer, but that's what I've heard and seen. Be Safe out there.
Thanks Kirk much appreciated!

This ice seasons gonna suck!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Need tracked rigs eh? Gosh, that's terrible. :D

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
About to get a lot tougher in that area if Friday forecast proves correct.

Mjekj

Just read in the Forum the fishing derby is canceled on Ashtabula because of slush and poor ice

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha

yes, I dread my first encounter with being “sluck”

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - what’s the method used to extract one self??? (I have a 5K winch)

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha

yes, I dread my first encounter with being “sluck”

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - what’s the method used to extract one self??? (I have a 5K winch)

Drill a hole a ways in front of winch. Attach cable to a 2x4, drop er down hole to get it hung up and winch yourself out.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hope I don't have to use that method someday, but I'll be prepared in the event that I do.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insurance is busy down here with the out of towners dumping in snowmobiles and side by sides. Always a interesting week to sit on shore and watch people with a spotting scope that know nothing about oahe and drive all over. Some guy set up on one of the pillars of the rail road bridge he made the rounds on everyone’s phone in Mobridge for moron of the year.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have an update for ice conditions out there? Going to try to head out this weekend for the first time since New Years.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have an update for ice conditions out there? Going to try to head out this weekend for the first time since New Years.

Lots of ice, close to needing an extension. Any snow is rock hard vehicle travel is easy.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's my thought - but what if a guy wants to go back because going forward would get even worse.
drill the hole behind you, run the cable underneath the vehicle and start the winch, it will pull you backwards just the same as forward, for a bit anyway, should be enough to get you going.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75