Florida keys

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I rented a boat for a week for the same price as a charter for one day. I wouldn’t be able to handle being stuck on shore.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful. It is a waaaaaaaay different animal than our lakes and rivers. I know charters are expensive but I’ve been on a few back country ones and you’re running through mine fields of shallow water. I remember being super thankful and thinking I’d have been screwed without a guide. The ones I’ve been on going out to the blue water sometimes you’re running to where you no longer see land. Sounds like KDM had crazy fun from shore that I’d like to try now too but just my opinion

- - - Updated - - -

There was also times we were running through mangroves and stuff.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can still do some shore fishing I just don’t want that to be my only option. And I don’t have have to spend the whole day in the boat if I don’t want to

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple things with a boat. WATCH AND KNOW what the tides are doing. The tides dictate everthing. Also, I would NOT try to anchor up unless you know exactly what the tide will be doing. Many a boat has gone down when the tide started to race and took the boat down like a crank bait. Bring extra fuel. Running against a tide with a smaller engine uses WAY MORE fuel than a guy thinks. It is very easy to get into trouble that way. Have the coast guard number programed into you phone BEFORE you leave the dock. There is no shame in calling for help. The ocean can kill you very quickly. That being said, having a boat will pole vault your opportunities into the next universe. Pack LOTS AND LOTS of water to drink. Avoid sugary crap. Avoid the sun as much as possible. Fishing with a sunburn SUCKS!! Bring a couple extra spools of line. If you don't get spooled at least twice, I'd be surprised. Also, you will loose sections of line on corals, rocks, and other crap as even small ocean fish will run you ragged. They are at three times as strong as their freshwater cousins of the same size. A two lb grouper will run you around like it's a 20 lb pick. That's no joke. If you think you need 10 lb line, put on 30. I regularly used 20 lb main line and 30 lb floro leader material to chase 3-10 lb speckled trout off rocks and bridges. Tie into a 30 lb redfish and you will instantly know what I'm talking about. Bring at least 3 reels and clean them after each days fishing whether you used them or not. Salt water can and will eat tackle at an astonishing rate. Just having them out in the salt air will start the corrosion process. I would disassemble, soak, and then rinse my reels every day and then re-lubricate them. Damn man are you going to have a blast!! You lucky bastage! Good Luck!!!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tips kdm I never thought about anchoring in the tide and having that happen. Plan on running 30lb braid and bring some heavier stuff with also. I hope I do get spooled lol I’ve something I have dreamed about since I was a little kid. I’ll make sure and bring some extra lime with

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you planning on going out on a "Head Boat" to go after snapper, grouper, triggerfish, amberjack, sea bass, etc. etc. etc.??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77