Enclosed Trailer/ ice house

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well I keeping learning my lesson over and over with things I should have bought long ago that would still be a good investment.

I want to upgrade my smaller enclosed trailer to either a bigger enclosed trailer at least 6x12 or to an unfinished fish house shell with a ramp door. Prices on these trailers has darn near doubled over the last 5 years so either thing I go with is going to be $$$$$ I figure I would consider an ice house shell instead of a regular enclosed trailer because it’s main function would be to haul and store my tracked wheeler. Wouldn’t mind have the additional benefit of an ice house if it doesn’t break the bank.

Any suggestions on a manufacturer or dealer?

I figure prices won’t get any cheaper so I better buy now.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know how handy you are, I would buy a 6.5 x 14 fish house trailer/frame and build a shell on it. The trailer will cost you about 2200.00 and materials for shell maybe 2000.00

I would put a double door in back to get wheeler in. Pro rib tin on the sides. A plywood roof with a rubber liner on top. A couple of windows. I would think at sometime you would want to finish the inside. I would then have it spray foam insulated as it glues everything together.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took a 6/12 enclosed trailer and made a sorta camper out of it. Bought it in july paid 5400 and was the only one i could find in nd. I was expecting around 4 grand i remember when they were 2500

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I took a 6/12 enclosed trailer and made a sorta camper out of it. Bought it in july paid 5400 and was the only one i could find in nd. I was expecting around 4 grand i remember when they were 2500

Yeah I remember buying my 6x12 for $3000 over 10 years ago, last time I was looking at upgrading they were 4k, now you are lucky to keep it under 6k…… should have bought long ago

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how handy you are, I would buy a 6.5 x 14 fish house trailer/frame and build a shell on it. The trailer will cost you about 2200.00 and materials for shell maybe 2000.00

I would put a double door in back to get wheeler in. Pro rib tin on the sides. A plywood roof with a rubber liner on top. A couple of windows. I would think at sometime you would want to finish the inside. I would then have it spray foam insulated as it glues everything together.
I’ve considered that. Might be the cheapest route nowadays…..

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd recommend going with 8' wide instead of 6.5. Especially for hauling a tracked vehicle.

The problem with 8 wide is when you build them the inside walls stick out to far and the tracked vehicle wont go in between them. When I say track vehicle Im think side by side. A 4 wheeler with track no problem.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with 8 wide is when you build them the inside walls stick out to far and the tracked vehicle wont go in between them. When I say track vehicle Im think side by side. A 4 wheeler with track no problem.

Okay you lost me there. How is an 8 foot wide a problem with a a side by side but not a 6.5?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Okay you lost me there. How is an 8 foot wide a problem with a a side by side but not a 6.5?

The wheel system on a 8 ft wide trailer is the same as a 6.5 inches wide. When you build the wall and frame around the wheel system you have less than 6.5 feet. You have closer to 5 ft

cache.php
cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I built my own fish house with trailer frames like those above. In the 6.5 frame my house measures 6.5 - 3" for the walls. I used 2X2's for the walls, which are actually 1.5X1.5 so I'm pretty sure a tracked vehicle would fit. In either case I would insulate with foam from the get-go for stability and that cost will be minor compared to the total.

On the other side, the axles on a fish house are not as sturdy as a trailer built for hauling. On a haul trailer the axle extends across the trailer. On a fish house the axles are separate and with heavy weight can have a tendency to bow in over the years.Like a lot of things, I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to your wants.

Based on my experience with a 6.5 width I sometimes wish I had gone 8. It wouldn't change the fishing space much but would have allowed for sleeping room if that is a want.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I built my own fish house with trailer frames like those above. In the 6.5 frame my house measures 6.5 - 3" for the walls. I used 2X2's for the walls, which are actually 1.5X1.5 so I'm pretty sure a tracked vehicle would fit. In either case I would insulate with foam from the get-go for stability and that cost will be minor compared to the total.

On the other side, the axles on a fish house are not as sturdy as a trailer built for hauling. On a haul trailer the axle extends across the trailer. On a fish house the axles are separate and with heavy weight can have a tendency to bow in over the years.Like a lot of things, I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to your wants.

Based on my experience with a 6.5 width I sometimes wish I had gone 8. It wouldn't change the fishing space much but would have allowed for sleeping room if that is a want.

The reason I like the 6.5 wide is you have nice clean straight walls. Unlike on a 8 ft wide house with the wheel system make them to narrow. My last trailer I had 5500 lb axles and the stub shaft running the full width of the frame. Most 6.5 wide trailer/frame that the axles get sprung is the stub shaft is just welded to the frame or a hole is drilled and shaft is flush with the inside of the frame.

I built one 8 ft wide house that was 16 ft with a 4 ft V. For me I lost the V as that is where I put my stove/cooktop and heater/furnace.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The reason I like the 6.5 wide is you have nice clean straight walls. Unlike on a 8 ft wide house with the wheel system make them to narrow. My last trailer I had 5500 lb axles and the stub shaft running the full width of the frame. Most 6.5 wide trailer/frame that the axles get sprung is the stub shaft is just welded to the frame or a hole is drilled and shaft is flush with the inside of the frame.

I built one 8 ft wide house that was 16 ft with a 4 ft V. For me I lost the V as that is where I put my stove/cooktop and heater/furnace.

Agree with all, it comes down to personal preference. In the pictures of the two trailer frames, neither has an axle under the whole trailer. A potential weak spot in my mind.The bigger the house, the more weight on the axles. Same for what you haul in the trailer. I own 3 fish houses and the preference changes from one day to the next. Size of water and number of fishermen(women) as well as what you're fishing for. My wheel house is perfect when Grandkids want to go, flipper works for 2 and my popup allows for 3-4 fishermen and I can also spear out of it. and now none of them are ideal as there is too much snow to drive on the ice and at my age I'm not interested in pulling a sled across the snow covered ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76