Drone Laws - ND

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
All drones need to be registered with the FAA now, its' a pretty easy process. Like VDAWG said if you will make any monetary gain or are doing it for a business even if you don't make any money you need a part 107 license.

As I understand it, drones at or above 250 grams (.55 pounds) need to be registered. The benefit of the Mavic Mini series is that they are 249 grams and don't need to registered with FAA.

Certainly not trying to sound like I know it all and I may be wrong....just how I understand what I've researched.

- - - Updated - - -

How about spray planes --- that was another close call -- i am thinking less than 20ft. In the hills of minnesota winds is blowing so my hearing sucked and a spray plane going home comes out of know where.

I was thinking about them too.....not sure if they're "required" to have the ADS-B transmitters or not. Seems like they are supposed to but I wonder how many actually do. If they do, they'd be recognized by the Mavic Air 2 "AirSense" tech and would trigger a "manned aircraft in the area" warning on the DJI app and show up on the map.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short:
Have some run of the mill farm dogs and not sure if they could find anything. Two (white and yellow} labs who can find horns which is what they were train to find. A lot of deer in area, no visible blood to our eyes, some days had gone by, drone was there so for now it seem our best course of action. Maybe with a dog train to tract a deer but not sure were that dog is. But the drone did find so the job got done. db

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at the Mavic Mini's (there's the original and now the "2") and almost bought one. Seems like a very solid drone with great camera and functions. However, it doesn't have the tracking or obstacle avoidance so I moved up to the Mavic Air 2.

That's crazy it couldn't keep up - those dogs are fast! I think in "normal" mode the drone is supposed to do 30 mph!

it wouldn’t keep up using the active track there was a little lag. They would take off to fast and get out of frame and it would loose track. I guess the new software has fixed that problem . Just flying it had no problem keeping up with them. The tech is crazy on these things.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The general public unfortunately has some wild ideas about drones. In Montana to many ranchers are sure drones are spying on them. Some make up things. While camped at Sitting Bull U S Forrest Service campground in the Bighorn Mts I was visiting with a Ranger that stopped by. It was the last day the camp was open and the camp host next to us was packing up. To be polite I asked if it was OK to Photo our campsite with a drone. He said it was illegal to fly a drone anywhere in Wyoming if there was any hunting season open even if you were not a hunter yourself.
I wasn't as polite the year before when I asked if he knew of any wolves in the Bighorns and if they were worried about their local moose population. He very snappily said there are no worries they only take the very old or sick. I told him I was a retired biologist and don't hand me your official line of bull shit. Give the maintenence guy a uniform and all of a sudden they are experts. Nothing at all against maintenance people we all have our expertise, but he was speaking way out of his. Im guessing he was not to blame and only passing the bs he was told to pass. The granola have invaded the gov science and pass along their own twisted thoughts not data driven reality conclusions. Ok off my soap box.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I understand it, drones at or above 250 grams (.55 pounds) need to be registered. The benefit of the Mavic Mini series is that they are 249 grams and don't need to registered with FAA.

Certainly not trying to sound like I know it all and I may be wrong....just how I understand what I've researched.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking about them too.....not sure if they're "required" to have the ADS-B transmitters or not. Seems like they are supposed to but I wonder how many actually do. If they do, they'd be recognized by the Mavic Air 2 "AirSense" tech and would trigger a "manned aircraft in the area" warning on the DJI app and show up on the map.

I know that is right thats why my friend got the mini 2 so it did not have to register it with the faa

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you use dogs to track deer? and then shoot it if wounded? 2 separate questions. my inclination is maybe "yes". and definitely "no".

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would think game and fish would say no to the dog but for me, i feel it is important to finish the harvest. Just get the job done, put the tag on and move on.
The unethic comes from leaving a deer to suffer or become coyote food. db

rippenlips

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can reference and reach out to the North Dakota Aeronautics Commission to get more details if needed. Here is a link to a page where they have information regarding Unmanned Aircraft.

Registration

Regulations

This site also has some good resources as well. Know Before You Fly

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't sheriff departments have access to drones for search and rescue ? Volunteer searches found the Berry girl's body 1100 feet from her residence in an open field . It really irks me that for all the damn funding our LE gets that they couldn't have at least done a quick fly over of the area. That should be the first course of action before to go organizing a search party.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning my first flight this coming weekend....I know, "WTH took you so long?". Such is life when you decide you're going to coach Babe Ruth baseball and ruin your summer plans lol. 33 games planned and 2 practices a week put a damper on pretty much everything from June through July. Can't wait! Virgin flight will be down in the Grasslands area....

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning my first flight this coming weekend....I know, "WTH took you so long?". Such is life when you decide you're going to coach Babe Ruth baseball and ruin your summer plans lol. 33 games planned and 2 practices a week put a damper on pretty much everything from June through July. Can't wait! Virgin flight will be down in the Grasslands area....

My friend just got the new dji mini with the flymore package and sent me some pics he took of Nashville last night and some video. The quality of the pictures and video is crazy.

nashville.jpg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friend just got the new dji mini with the flymore package and sent me some pics he took of Nashville last night and some video. The quality of the pictures and video is crazy.

pB2y54vbkxd3.png

Wow that's really cool!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you use dogs to track deer? and then shoot it if wounded? 2 separate questions. my inclination is maybe "yes". and definitely "no".

If you arent carrying a weapon, you arent hunting, you are exploring...

Im not sure how the proclamation reads now, but last I read it says something like you cant use a dog to AIDE you while hunting big game. I have a dog that would love to go with me deer hunting but shes not a hunter. IMO if you are sitting on a hill waiting to snipe a deer and your dog is sitting there with you, it is in no way AIDING you... Im not sure a GW would see it that way though.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, you can use a dog to aide you in the finding/retrieval of a wounded/downed deer. But not in the actual hunt for said deer.

The sticky part, of course, is what if said deer is only wounded and gets up once the dog helps you find it. Arguably, you shouldn't be armed and in position to shoot or you'd risk getting clipped for having the dog aide you in hunting. So you'd probably want to watch it run and hopefully see where it next beds down so you can then kennel the dog and proceed on getting back to hunting the wounded deer.

BTW, I know a guy who has a great little English Cocker that has found several dead deer for him and his friends.

Huntin1

Established Member
Don't sheriff departments have access to drones for search and rescue ? Volunteer searches found the Berry girl's body 1100 feet from her residence in an open field . It really irks me that for all the damn funding our LE gets that they couldn't have at least done a quick fly over of the area. That should be the first course of action before to go organizing a search party.

Largely depends on the department. In Stutsman County there is currently one drone shared by the PD, SO and FD. In most cases the pilot has to have a 107 license, the FAA will issue a waiver in some cases, but they are difficult to get. Drone programs are expensive and there is usually no funding available for them, particularly here in ND. Our drone was purchased through donations.

As far as I know the no registration for drones at or below 249 grams is still in effect, it's why I bought a Mini 2, but I ended up registering it anyway. If you add anything to them such as landing gear, prop protection or strobe beacons they go over the limit, and registering them is simple and cheap. Also, if you do get a Part 107 license, any drone you fly has to be registered no matter how much it weighs.

As far as shooting them down, have at it if you want, but there is a law that makes it a federal crime if you would willfully damage or destroy an aircraft, and according to the FAA, a drone is considered to be a civil aircraft. The FAA states that it is a federal crime to shoot down a drone under code 18USC32. The penalty could be a fine and/or up to 20 years in the penitentiary.

You do you. Ain't trying to start a pissing match or a debate.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76