Drone Laws - ND

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just purchased my first drone (DJI Mavic Air 2 for those who care) and am looking for somewhere I can find all the North Dakota laws pertaining to flight.

So far I've used the ol' Google machine and found pieces of it on NDGF, ND Tourism, Hector Airport, and a few others. I have yet to find somewhere that lists them all in one spot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know of any ND specific drone laws, the FAA governs what takes place above the ground for all 50 states. I don't know much about drones in general, but I do know you may want to get the inexpensive FAA license if your drone meets the criteria.

One limitation to keep in mind is that drones are not allowed within X distance of an airport. So you may want to check with the FAA for restricted airspaces in your area.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/small-unmanned-aircraft-systems-uas-regulations-part-107

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One law is i shoot any of them down that are over my place. I think most people have that law

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Allen!

The basics, as I understand them, are:

-Restricted air space is 5 mile radius around airports (DJI interface is supposed to alert when close, then force acknowledgement if you decide to go in anyway)
-Can't fly above 400 ft
-Need to keep drone in line-of-sight
-Can't fly in National Parks

ND Specific:
-Can't fly over WMA's
-Can't fly over area you're hunting big game starting 72 hours before hunting season and not at all during hunting season

Looking to find more specifics such as those.....

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
One law is i shoot any of them down that are over my place. I think most people have that law

We won't ever be in conflict.....Rule #1 when flying a drone: DON'T BE A DICK!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
bald eagles beware of them ---- they are all buddy buddy and then they take you out of the sky

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to benefit in any way you'll need a part 107 license. The 5 mile radius isn't necessarily true anymore and even most airports you can fly surprisingly close to as long as you have authorization. That doesn't mean you should go flying close to airports, use your common sense and remember that one mishap could ruin it for everyone. I recommend getting AirMap or the B4UFLY app. They are pretty good at telling you where you can and can't fly and if you need authorization it makes it very easy. There is quite a bit of restricted airspace that is off limits up in the Dunseith to Langdon area of the state, as well as Elgin, Mott area of the state.. You're not supposed to fly over WMA's or Corps. land. National Parks are a really big no no. Again, #1. rule. Just don't be a dick and use common sense and you'll be just fine. It's a lot of fun!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All drones need to be registered with the FAA now, its' a pretty easy process. Like VDAWG said if you will make any monetary gain or are doing it for a business even if you don't make any money you need a part 107 license.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Mavic Pro zoom. The second page of my phone is half drone apps. Download these apps. Screenshot_20220119-080258_One UI Home.jpg You will notice some jerkyness in your videos. I forget the whole explanation for this, but if you run your video through an editor and delet a half second anywhere in the video it will become butter smooth.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just purchased my first drone (DJI Mavic Air 2 for those who care) and am looking for somewhere I can find all the North Dakota laws pertaining to flight.

So far I've used the ol' Google machine and found pieces of it on NDGF, ND Tourism, Hector Airport, and a few others. I have yet to find somewhere that lists them all in one spot.

You may want to search if there are any nearby drone training classes. I enrolled in a class a few years back at the local college. It was a nite class for 3-4 nites. At the time, i was thinking i may want to explore into possibly getting a part 107 license and dabbling into it part time or whatever. It was a great course.. some classroom time each nite and some time flying their inexpensive ones in the college gym to get the hang of it. Of the like 10 ppl in the class some already had drones. The final test in the gym was with one of the spendier ones maneuvering thru obstacle courses etc. Think it was like $200. At the end of the class there was the opportunity for ppl to sign up or whatever for a part 107 prep course for the test. I never did follow thru on that.
Like most everything else these days, life got in the way.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to benefit in any way you'll need a part 107 license. The 5 mile radius isn't necessarily true anymore and even most airports you can fly surprisingly close to as long as you have authorization. That doesn't mean you should go flying close to airports, use your common sense and remember that one mishap could ruin it for everyone. I recommend getting AirMap or the B4UFLY app. They are pretty good at telling you where you can and can't fly and if you need authorization it makes it very easy. There is quite a bit of restricted airspace that is off limits up in the Dunseith to Langdon area of the state, as well as Elgin, Mott area of the state.. You're not supposed to fly over WMA's or Corps. land. National Parks are a really big no no. Again, #1. rule. Just don't be a dick and use common sense and you'll be just fine. It's a lot of fun!

The Mavic Air 2 I got was the first that DJI released at the consumer level to include "AirSense" meaning the drone an ADS-B receiver in it. All aircraft are now required by the FAA to install ADS-B transmitters to fly in most controlled airspaces (Airspace (faa.gov)), meaning my drone can actually warn me of manned aircraft nearby. It will also display the aircraft in relation to your drone's position on the map in the DJI app!

AIRMAP seems like a good add to preemptively show me all aircraft in the area or restricted space before coming close enough to be warned by the drone.

It also seems like the DJI app has good recognition and display of restricted flight areas on the "in-app" map. Not sure if that's always been the case or if it's a newer feature or how it compares to AIRMAP.

- - - Updated - - -

You will notice some jerkyness in your videos. I forget the whole explanation for this, but if you run your video through an editor and delet a half second anywhere in the video it will become butter smooth.

I sure hope this isn't the case! I hadn't seen that mentioned when researching or watching reviews on this drone - I guess we'll see once I get her in the air and take some footage. If so, I may have to reach out to see exactly what your process is. Thanks for the heads up!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mavic Air 2 I got was the first that DJI released at the consumer level to include "AirSense" meaning the drone an ADS-B receiver in it. All aircraft are now required by the FAA to install ADS-B transmitters to fly in most controlled airspaces (Airspace (faa.gov)), meaning my drone can actually warn me of manned aircraft nearby. It will also display the aircraft in relation to your drone's position on the map in the DJI app!

AIRMAP seems like a good add to preemptively show me all aircraft in the area or restricted space before coming close enough to be warned by the drone.

It also seems like the DJI app has good recognition and display of restricted flight areas on the "in-app" map. Not sure if that's always been the case or if it's a newer feature or how it compares to AIRMAP.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure hope this isn't the case! I hadn't seen that mentioned when researching or watching reviews on this drone - I guess we'll see once I get her in the air and take some footage. If so, I may have to reach out to see exactly what your process is. Thanks for the heads up!

He is a video we made with the mav air he got it just last year. Never mind the bad must im just learning editing haha. it warns about air ports as i live by mobridge international. It has 3 modes for flight sport mode is the fastest and least smooth then cinematic is really smooth. We have taken it up looking at our decoy spread and how our hide is when we thought we had the blinds in good they were not very good .

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Start by googling five best video editors. Worry more about ease of use than fancy spe.cial affects. If you do need help pm me and Ill give you my phone number and you can download the sam.e free editor that I use and Ill run through it with you.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
He is a video we made with the mav air he got it just last year. Never mind the bad must im just learning editing haha. it warns about air ports as i live by mobridge international. It has 3 modes for flight sport mode is the fastest and least smooth then cinematic is really smooth. We have taken it up looking at our decoy spread and how our hide is when we thought we had the blinds in good they were not very good .

That's great video! Does yours have the ability to lock onto a subject and follow, orbit, etc? Would be cool to see it track the dog from start to finish!

- - - Updated - - -

Start by googling five best video editors. Worry more about ease of use than fancy spe.cial affects. If you do need help pm me and Ill give you my phone number and you can download the sam.e free editor that I use and Ill run through it with you.

Thanks Prairie!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure of rules but friend arrow a deer last month. Felt good hit but little blood. Arrow had blood. Spent the next day looking and also part of next day. Did not find. Open prairie but a lot of cattails. A couple of days later person brought his drone and after a two day search with a handful of hours total did find the deer bury in some cattails. Not eaten on.

I assume this is legal and without the drone it would have been a waste of a decent 5 point 150 class deer. db

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's great video! Does yours have the ability to lock onto a subject and follow, orbit, etc? Would be cool to see it track the dog from start to finish!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Prairie!

yep it has the active lock but his isn’t quite fast enough to keep up when the dogs go really hard. The mavic air 3 is supposed to be really good . I might buy his since it is small enough not to be licensed and he is going to upgrade. He filmed at the hrch grand last fall made some cool videos and is getting good at editing

- - - Updated - - -

He has the mavic mini now not the air

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep it has the active lock but his isn’t quite fast enough to keep up when the dogs go really hard. The mavic air 3 is supposed to be really good . I might buy his since it is small enough not to be licensed and he is going to upgrade. He filmed at the hrch grand last fall made some cool videos and is getting good at editing

- - - Updated - - -

He has the mavic mini now not the air

I looked at the Mavic Mini's (there's the original and now the "2") and almost bought one. Seems like a very solid drone with great camera and functions. However, it doesn't have the tracking or obstacle avoidance so I moved up to the Mavic Air 2.

That's crazy it couldn't keep up - those dogs are fast! I think in "normal" mode the drone is supposed to do 30 mph!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure of rules but friend arrow a deer last month. Felt good hit but little blood. Arrow had blood. Spent the next day looking and also part of next day. Did not find. Open prairie but a lot of cattails. A couple of days later person brought his drone and after a two day search with a handful of hours total did find the deer bury in some cattails. Not eaten on.

I assume this is legal and without the drone it would have been a waste of a decent 5 point 150 class deer. db

Dog does that job better than a cam and no i dont care what the law says--- we make the phone call, dogs shows up, the guns are carefully placed if wounded...... havent lost many.

- - - Updated - - -

how about spray planes --- that was another close call -- i am thinking less than 20ft. In the hills of minnesota winds is blowing so my hearing sucked and a spray plane going home comes out of know where.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76