Alkaline Lake

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for information on ice and access to Alkaline lake south of Dawson. I haven't heard much about it this year. Can anyone share if it is accessible by truck? What is snow cover like?

Thanks in advance.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've not been there, but given its location I am assuming access is restricted to tracked vehicles unless someone has been plowing it.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are trucks driving on it. If you can manage to stay on the “trail” you’ll be ok. We were down on Saturday and had to do some minor shoveling a couple of times we strayed a bit. It wasn’t to bad. I don’t think I’d want to go alone though, just in case you get stuck bad. Ice was pushing 20”. Fishing was fair for the evening bite.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can get on and go about anywhere if you pay attention. I did hit a big slush pocket the other day and scared the shit out of me. That was sketchy. Fishing has been kind of slow for me but I like to explore so that doesn’t work some times.

Red1Delta

Would you say that I can access the West side of the lake fairly easy pulling an 8 by 16 house? I usually have kids with me so don't want to go somewhere that I risk getting stuck. I don't explore much just set up, camp, and fish.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should be good to go on the north side where they are putting in the new ramp. That’s where everyone has been going on.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait, what...they are installing a new ramp on Alkaline's north side? Sweet! That south ramp is often not very fun with our normal winds out of the west/northwest.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait, what...they are installing a new ramp on Alkaline's north side? Sweet! That south ramp is often not very fun with our normal winds out of the west/northwest.

I had heard some rumblings the last couple years that the people whose land the ramp is on were tired of the traffic and weren't going to renew the lease.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Since 1,000 boats fish that lake every day I wonder if the new ramp will be half assed decent and maybe will come with a parking lot that holds more than 5 vehicles? You know, since the Game and Fish are there every day checking boats and live wells and taking up 3 of the 5 spot all the time.

Oh, and maybe even 2 spiffy biffs instead of one!!!!

Just curious.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since 1,000 boats fish that lake every day I wonder if the new ramp will be half assed decent and maybe will come with a parking lot that holds more than 5 vehicles? You know, since the Game and Fish are there every day checking boats and live wells and taking up 3 of the 5 spot all the time.

Oh, and maybe even 2 spiffy biffs instead of one!!!!

Just curious.

I'm sure when they put that ramp in 15 years ago or whatever they never imagined it would get the traffic that it does. I'm guessing their ability to expand it has been limited by the lease they have with the private landowner.

I've fished there I'm sure 50 times over the years and have never been checked by a warden, somewhat shocking. You'd think they would just sit there every day.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
The parking lot is somewhat done right now. They started this fall. The ramp s not in so I’m guessing this spring they will finish. I don’t think it’s an issue with the landowner because he owns the land the new one is going on. I believe game and fish wanted it there because it is better protected from wind. Looks like it will be a good improvement but I thought they should make the parking lot a little bigger. There is room for expansion so maybe they will see how it works out and go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you say that I can access the West side of the lake fairly easy pulling an 8 by 16 house? I usually have kids with me so don't want to go somewhere that I risk getting stuck. I don't explore much just set up, camp, and fish.
I was gonna pm you my number in case you get in a jam you can’t get out of. You must not have enough posts to get pm’s. I’m 8 miles from lake and could help. There’s usually enough people probably don’t have to worry.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The parking lot is somewhat done right now. They started this fall. The ramp s not in so I’m guessing this spring they will finish.

Just curious, where abouts is the new ramp located? I know where the south and the NE ones are.

PS - I fish Alkaline 2 or 3 times a summer and have been checked by a warden at least a couple times. I appreciate seeing them every time, no matter where it is. Was checked once already this winter but not at Alkaline. Maybe I look sketchy.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious, where abouts is the new ramp located? I know where the south and the NE ones are.

PS - I fish Alkaline 2 or 3 times a summer and have been checked by a warden at least a couple times. I appreciate seeing them every time, no matter where it is. Was checked once already this winter but not at Alkaline. Maybe I look sketchy.

Follow the road/section line that runs east-west into the NW corner of the lake. It's probably the most common access point in the winter. I did notice the excavating that had been done there; I assumed it was a private development not a public ramp. But that should provide more room for parking (hopefully a double ramp too). Getting close to having the N half of the lake separated from the south by the road running through it emerging from being underwater, had heard of some boats hitting it last fall. Wonder if the S ramp will stay open once the N one is done?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure when they put that ramp in 15 years ago or whatever they never imagined it would get the traffic that it does. I'm guessing their ability to expand it has been limited by the lease they have with the private landowner.

I've fished there I'm sure 50 times over the years and have never been checked by a warden, somewhat shocking. You'd think they would just sit there every day.

They are there quite a bit, at least they are when I show up. I think I got checked 4 times there last summer, and I probably only fished Alkaline 6-8 times, so right around 50% for me. Other than that, I think a lot that's been said is correct. The landowner there had legit issues with people driving off the parking lot and into his hay field, which monetarily isn't a big deal...but it's his land and that's his choice. One of the bigger issues over the past XX years has been people fishing the causeway between Alkaline and Fresh. Lots of vehicles parked along the road has made it an interesting drive for some of the larger farm equipment, so they are clamping down on that as well. Kind of a shame Fresh doesn't have boat access, because it would be nice to be able to fish it when the wind makes docking at Alkaline's south ramp a pain.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would say it is about every other time that I fish there that wardens have set up shop at the ramp. I have no problem with that at all, because that lake does take a piss pounding. It just exacerbates the issue of traffic moving in and out, boats going in and out, limited parking etc. They usually park right up at the top a few feet west of the ramp turnabout and it gets TIGHT with vehicles w/ trailers lined up on both sides of the road ( some days for as far as the eye can see).

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to hear the wardens are patrolling it. I'll admit I didn't fish it last summer; too busy for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75