Would you?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably do the same as fast as that happened.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would almost certainly have done the same - realizing only afterwards how super retarded it was.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hats off to that guy.
Poor guy now has to take rabie shots. I can't take rabie shots again as on my last shot I got a severe reaction to the vaccine. Asked my Doctor back in the day what happens if I get bit by a rabid animal in the future? His reply was really simple, " you are gonna die"!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hats off to that guy.
Poor guy now has to take rabie shots. I can't take rabie shots again as on my last shot I got a severe reaction to the vaccine. Asked my Doctor back in the day what happens if I get bit by a rabid animal in the future? His reply was really simple, " you are gonna die"!

I would still take the shot, rabies is a death sentence. And it's a long drawn out death.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably would but wouldn't be the smartest thing I have ever done ( or dumbest ).
Instincts would just kick in.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fight or Flight kicked in and his instinct (Protect the family would be my guess, dog included in family) chose Fight. Happened to fast to make thought possible. Damn brave dude though. Head down swinging and shoving. Probably roaring his battle cry at the same time I would guess. Think I'd have to pass on getting into a scrap with that guy, if given my druthers. Impressive regardless.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id say he was very lucky as the bear had his back just before he fled.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
God will make more dogs, I woulda went for the rifle inside and sought my revenge

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My knee-jerk reaction would be punching that thing in the nose. So I'd probably have done it and realized how moronic it was after the fact.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If history is any lesson, much like this guy I'm not smart enough to be scared of most animals in the heat of the moment.

Except with poisonous snakes, I don't play with them at all.

This man is still one of my favorites:

Man rips leopard's tongue out

Nairobi - A 73-year-old man used his bare hands to tear out the tongue of a leopard that attacked him in Kenya and killed it, a newspaper said on Wednesday of an incident confirmed by the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS).The 73-year-old Daniel M'Mburugu was working in his potato garden near Mount Kenya in the centre of the country when the animal, apparently aggressive, hurtled from nearby grass and charged towards him.
"It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping. I froze for some seconds, then it dawned on me that death was staring at me on the face," he told the Standard Newspaper.
M'Mburugu, a peasant farmer, dropped the machete he was carrying and forced his hand into the leopard's mouth, pulling out its tongue in an act of self-defence, according to the report in the daily.
"A voice, which must have been from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand into its wide open mouth, I obeyed," he said, explaining that the leopard sank its teeth into his wrist, but would not let go.

As the struggle continued, M'Mburugu realised the animal's "breathing was belaboured", prompting him to keep pulling the tongue.
Villagers only responded when the animal lay dying and he gained instant status as a village hero, the paper said.
"Wardens said the leopard attacked the man because it was injured elsewhere. Wild animals are usually very aggressive and attack unprovoked when injured," said KWS spokesperson Edward Indakwa.

"Nevertheless, he was lucky," he added of the incident that occurred early this month.
Incidents of human-wildlife conflict in the east African nation are common, mostly near game parks and national reserves.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
This man is still one of my favorites:

Man rips leopard's tongue out

I feel like a similar scenario is where "Rip" from Yellowstone may have gotten his name.....

I never weighed in on what I would have done in this situation. Not sure what I would've done in the moment, but there's no doubt I would've had to change my undies after. Likely would've reacted with "fight" vs. "flight" as many have already commented, only to realize how dumb it was after the fact.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
n 2021, rabies took the life of five people in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it’s the highest number of deaths from the disease in a decade.

According to The New York Times, direct contact with a bat resulted in three of those deaths, including that of a 7-year-old child. The deaths occurred in Idaho, Illinois, and Texas over a five-week period beginning in September. The victims experienced symptoms three to seven weeks after contact with bats and died two to three weeks after the onset of symptoms.

The rabies virus is usually transmitted through the saliva of an infected animal via a bite. Although it has one of the highest mortality rates of any disease, rabies is preventable with a vaccine that is almost 100% effective if taken before symptoms appear. Approximately 59,000 people die from rabies around the world each year. In the U.S., however, death from rabies is extremely rare; in fact, there were no rabies deaths in 2019 and 2020.

According to the CDC, four of the five people who died in late 2021 did not get the vaccine. Two of the victims didn’t take the vaccine either because they didn’t notice a bite or scratch or they were unaware of the risk of catching rabies from bats. The man who did receive the vaccine had a weakened immune system that didn’t respond to the treatment.

“The most important thing that we wanted people to take away from this report is that it is a reminder about how dangerous having direct contact with bats can be,” said Amber Kunkel, an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer for the CDC.

In the early 1900s, each year more than 100 people would die from the disease in the U.S. Since 1960, the number of human deaths from rabies has fallen to one or two per year thanks to pet vaccinations, animal control programs, and public health awareness programs. Also, the rabies vaccine for humans became more available.

“We have come a long way in the United States toward reducing the number of people who become infected each year with rabies,” Ryan Wallace, a veterinarian and rabies expert at the CDC, said in a statement, “but this recent spate of cases is a sobering reminder that contact with bats poses a real health risk.”

If you come in contact with a bat, or if a bat has entered your home and it’s unclear if someone came in contact with it, call local health officials for guidance. Each year approximately 60,000 people receive rabies vaccines.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weird - it almost seems like our innate/primal fear of those little beasts is somehow "based" as the young interwebbers would say.

i.e. it's OK to trust your instincts - they're based on a millennia of experience

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77