Repeat Thread--Handgun Stopping Power

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
“…..All handguns suck! If you want to stop someone, use a rifle or shotgun!….”

The most important piece of information in that whole article.

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only good use of a handgun is fighting your way to a rifle that you shouldn't have left behind in the first place!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 22 target pistols (Hi Standard, Browning) are accurate in my hand at 25 yards but then they are a 22. Can put 9-10, rounds out in a hurry and in a decent group under 25 yards.
However, my model P cimarron in 44-40 and 32-20 at 25 yards, 6 rounds, into cardboard person and maybe 1 or 2 get in the target and not a killing shot. And that is if they are not shooting back.

Close range nothing like an auto shotgun with no plug.
And yes, over the 25 yards one needs a rifle (30 caliber) and that only makes common sense. Unless your name is Dillion. Just need to practice more as i am sure there are some here who can shoot with their pistols like Dillion can.

I am sure i will never find out.

And trust me, a 223 in an AR 16 was worthless in Nam. Same as the grease gun in 45 short. Now our 175mm and 8 inch cannon could do some damage even with only the powder in the barrel (burn) db

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 22 target pistols (Hi Standard, Browning) are accurate in my hand at 25 yards but then they are a 22. Can put 9-10, rounds out in a hurry and in a decent group under 25 yards.
However, my model P cimarron in 44-40 and 32-20 at 25 yards, 6 rounds, into cardboard person and maybe 1 or 2 get in the target and not a killing shot. And that is if they are not shooting back.

Close range nothing like an auto shotgun with no plug.
And yes, over the 25 yards one needs a rifle (30 caliber) and that only makes common sense. Unless your name is Dillion. Just need to practice more as i am sure there are some here who can shoot with their pistols like Dillion can.

I am sure i will never find out.

And trust me, a 223 in an AR 16 was worthless in Nam. Same as the grease gun in 45 short. Now our 175mm and 8 inch cannon could do some damage even with only the powder in the barrel (burn) db

X2

I am of the same mindset.
More than likely it would be close range and I know (hope?) I can do a lot of damage with my shotgun if I need to.

Perhaps it has to do with being comfortable with your weapon. That being said my BIL was a career cop. Said "they" were lucky too if they could hit the broad side of a barn with their sidearms.

WoodyND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not true. Same as all other types of shooting, practice, practice, and more practice. When I shot competition bullseye there were many of us that could put 10 rounds out of a .45 in two strings of five shots in 10 seconds at 25 yards in to a 6 inch target. One guy could put 30 rounds in the same target and you could cover the hole with a silver dollar. After enough practice you could almost look at the target, get into your stance, close your eyes and still do pretty damn good. Now after not shooting competition for 20 years, yes I would use the shotgun, but back then the .45 would be all I needed. PS that was with my dads 1911 from WWII service pistol with open sights.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes ,practice and then more. And yes, as i stated, there are those like you who can do it.
i doubt if i could get that good and then if they are shooting back at you. Might make a difference. Shotgun for me and Joe average.

At one time my m-60 could not put bullets out fast enough when there are bullets coming back. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73