Winter is sure wearing on the deer!

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a good way to spread CWD…

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
CWD isn't a significant biological issue. If CWD was a biological issue Wyoming would have lost most of their elk and deer by now. They've had CWD across the ENTIRE state for 25 years now and their herds are still going strong and even expanding. Wisconsin has had CWD for 20 years now and they still have a HUGE whitetail population. If CWD was so bad, Why haven't these herds been decimated? Now EHD??? THAT'S a significant biological issue!! Up to 80% mortality and you can find oceans of data to confirm that. CWD data??? Not so much. Just panic mongering by politicians and some power peddlers in game and fish departments. Follow the evidence, NOT the politics.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM:
Been doing it for years and i feel the good out weights the bad. Once start need to keep on.
Go to local elevator where they dump between 600 to a 1000 lbs in back of pu or side by side at 6 dollars per bushel.

Today got 600# which is what the side by side holds and 3 alfalfa bales. Son bale some hay this past summer. Side by side has tracks. Only way up there.
Dump corn at site and put hay on top. Found 4 sheds with a match. Should last for next 5-7 days depending on deer and weather.

Loaded coyotes son shot last night along with what was left of deer. 10 minutes later had a bunch of deer at site plus one of the larger bucks.
Brought bones and hide of deer to another spot i plan to call coyotes at.
The winter bill for the two of us is well over $1000.

But it is well worth it and we both have that feel good feeling.
Took wife to clinic for at home virus tester and it was negative. 10 days ago clinic test said she had it but no signs of it.

Life is still good and at 33 degrees all one needed was a summer jacket today. Old Mill tonight. db

- - - Updated - - -

CWD
Just like our virus. Who the hell knows and i feel game and fish is no better at it than what the people doctors are. Years ago game and fish fed the deer up here.

Maybe, in time my action will get all baiting stop in ND. db

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow!! Thanks for the offer. I bought some extra bushels (50) of corn to get my herd through this cold azz winter, so I should be good for the critters right around here. I'm set up to carry the deer 'til spring, which is what you MUST do if you start to feed'em. Starting to feed and then stopping after the deer congregate around the food is FAR WORSE than just leaving them alone. corn is $6 a bushel right now and I feed a bushel a day give'er take depending on how many deer I have coming in. The bale helps for filler and browse. Feeding only corn is NOT a good idea. They need some variety, which is why I like these mix of everything kind of bales. If we get more snow, I might take you up on that offer. Thanks Again!!

Please do if need some assistance.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am just glad that big rock in space miss us that some said was going to get us.
And then the iceberg dropping in the ocean. And on and on.
But i did live a long life so feel sorry for all you young.

In my life time, back in the 70,s i was working as a farmhand and for two days in a row it was 48 below in the morning with no wind at Bismarck. The Oliver 88 did start as did the 47 kb5 IHC truck both mornings.
As i remember that was the coldest i have know. db

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was going to Tech. school in T R Falls in 72. Got up one morning in Jan and both my old Chev's would not start and they were plugged in. Did not feel cold out for some reason and sence school was only about 1/2 mile away I took off on foot. Damed near didnt make it. Turns out it was -52 that morn. Never had any kids after that. Thats how cold it was. LB

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feeding is when the deer need it, baiting is when you need the deer.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
hahahahaha

fml

LOL this was pretty much my exact response when I first saw the Fakebook post... then i said "no fackin way" then I went to accuweather and looked at their "monthly" temperature calendar and saw that it says temps will be between 10 and 35 all february so then I REALLy though "no fackin way".... Then I found that article that I quoted in my first post... According to that article, the European weather models are showing a good chance that the system will have a pretty big impact directly on us...

I hope to god its all wrong, but just to be sure I'm gonna go make damned sure I got plenty of wood put up and ready to go for the outdoor wood boiler.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was going to Tech. school in T R Falls in 72. Got up one morning in Jan and both my old Chev's would not start and they were plugged in. Did not feel cold out for some reason and sence school was only about 1/2 mile away I took off on foot. Damed near didnt make it. Turns out it was -52 that morn. Never had any kids after that. Thats how cold it was. LB

For old coot you are pretty funny. Took old and slow me a minute to get your last 2 sentences to soak in.;:;rofl

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the 40 degree weather we had that cleared the hills and fields of a bit of snow allowed the deer to disperse a bit and left the backyard a little lonely. Now with the crappy cold, wind, and snow covering up all the ground that was cleared off, the deer have returned with a vengeance. This pic was about 3pm this afternoon. The snowy faces and puffed out hair says it all. With the deer, I've added 6 squirrels and about 10 collared doves to the mix. It's quite a zoo to keep track of. On a good note, ALL the deer look good. Even the tiny fawns are looking sleek and healthy and the numbers of little ones seem to be about what we started with. Notice that half the bale on the right is eaten and the core of the left bale has been hollowed out. They seem to like the hay. Enjoy!!

DSC04496.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much our first snow of the year down here. 5 inches or so but wind has it all in one big pile seems like.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am just glad that big rock in space miss us that some said was going to get us.
And then the iceberg dropping in the ocean. And on and on.
But i did live a long life so feel sorry for all you young.

In my life time, back in the 70,s i was working as a farmhand and for two days in a row it was 48 below in the morning with no wind at Bismarck. The Oliver 88 did start as did the 47 kb5 IHC truck both mornings.
As i remember that was the coldest i have know. db

Hey, we got an Oliver 88! I'll take some pics of her.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
row crop 88 with old farmhand loader used for making haystacks.
One day caught on fire making haystacks. Burn all my cloths up. Ended up running across prairie with only a paper sack looking for help next to i94. db

Last edited:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next week looks better.

Let's hope March doesn't pull any shenanigan's or all the pheasants in my area are toast. Every cattail slough is blown completely full.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69